Red card for Gordon and first prize in acting to..

Started by wobbller, July 27, 2008, 11:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

If Brian hadn't gone to ground and got medical attention, would the outcome have been any different?  Would the sending-off not have happened?  In what way did the perceived over-exaggeration influence the ref, given that he saw the incident?  
I'm not sure I've ever seen the ref go to a player and ask "well how injured are you?  If you're ok, then I'll just ignore that illegal punch that was thrown at you".  So the extent of the injury is not the point in question, it's the illegal act by the inflictor.  Kinda makes the debate about Brian Dooher irrelevant.

Dannymcfella

Big Dan definately did not deserve to go, although I do not see his appeal being successful as he did make a head butting action and it may be seen as intentNot so sure Roper will be at it again as he cost his side the match

Over the Bar

QuoteThe fact of the matter is, he appealed and he won his appeal coz he was innocent,

As one who likes to gloss over the facts you might wish to consider that if it were so open/shut the appeal would have succeeded at stage one.  As I understand it his eventual appeal succeeded as it was accepted that he intended no malice but raised his fists in a natural reaction to Jordan rushing at him.

Quoteand Jordan was guilty no matter what way you look at it,

What an ridiculous statement.   Are you a Sun reader by any chance?

What's your view on the Bellew incident when the Cavan player got send off by the way?

feetofflames

I must admit when I first saw the incident and I was far back in the stand I thought Maybe Jordan had dived.  When I watched the rerun off it after the game I realised what a blind twat I had been hoe wrong I was, and was disgusted at the punch thrown, I was disgusted that Armagh would take this type of crap to an All Ireland final, but consoled myself in the fact that hell will freeze over before that Armagh team ever gets back to an All Ireland final.  After yesterdays game I am 100% confident that Armagh will not disappoint me.   
Chief Wiggum

bingobus

Was reading Ross Carr's quote on Clancy and the red card...something along the lines of "Thankfully after a drink of water Clancy was able to get back to his feet".  ;D  ;D

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 28, 2008, 10:19:41 AMIt didn't look to be the hardest punch in the world but unless you are the one who took it then you wouldn't know how hard or effective it was.  If someone strikes out at you then why would you not go down?  Why should Dooher let tramps like that constantly beat the shit out of him throughout a match?  He takes enough punishment and these players are obviously trying to grind away at him in order to have a detrimental effect on his performance.  Dooher was only after getting wrestled to the ground and subsequently Harte tries to be the coward and hit him on the sly – fair play to Dooher!!

Quote from: Rois on July 28, 2008, 12:07:44 PM
If Brian hadn't gone to ground and got medical attention, would the outcome have been any different?  Would the sending-off not have happened?  In what way did the perceived over-exaggeration influence the ref, given that he saw the incident? 
I'm not sure I've ever seen the ref go to a player and ask "well how injured are you?  If you're ok, then I'll just ignore that illegal punch that was thrown at you".  So the extent of the injury is not the point in question, it's the illegal act by the inflictor.  Kinda makes the debate about Brian Dooher irrelevant.

Folks if you're gonna try to justify people going down like that then we might as well pack up Gaelic Football and go and watch the Eircom League (or whatever its gonna be called next year) for the summer while the super duper premiership is on a break...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

mackers

Quote from: feetofflames on July 28, 2008, 12:39:02 PM
I must admit when I first saw the incident and I was far back in the stand I thought Maybe Jordan had dived.  When I watched the rerun off it after the game I realised what a blind t**t I had been hoe wrong I was, and was disgusted at the punch thrown, I was disgusted that Armagh would take this type of crap to an All Ireland final, but consoled myself in the fact that hell will freeze over before that Armagh team ever gets back to an All Ireland final.  After yesterdays game I am 100% confident that Armagh will not disappoint me.  
You're right, you are a t*t!! ;)

Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

wherefromreferee?

So Tyrone have Jordan and Dooher
Armagh have Francie and M O'Rourke
Derry have Hinphey
Donegal have wee Roper
plus big Clancy of Laois.

Any other counties want to name and shame  :P
In your Endo!

Rois

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 28, 2008, 01:33:47 PM

If Brian hadn't gone to ground and got medical attention, would the outcome have been any different?  Would the sending-off not have happened?  In what way did the perceived over-exaggeration influence the ref, given that he saw the incident? 
I'm not sure I've ever seen the ref go to a player and ask "well how injured are you?  If you're ok, then I'll just ignore that illegal punch that was thrown at you".  So the extent of the injury is not the point in question, it's the illegal act by the inflictor.  Kinda makes the debate about Brian Dooher irrelevant.

Folks if you're gonna try to justify people going down like that then we might as well pack up Gaelic Football and go and watch the Eircom League (or whatever its gonna be called next year) for the summer while the super duper premiership is on a break...

Where's the attempt to "justify" in what I said?  Whether Brian went down or not had no impact on the sending off as the ref saw the punch being thrown.  

AZOffaly

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 28, 2008, 01:33:47 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on July 28, 2008, 10:19:41 AMIt didn't look to be the hardest punch in the world but unless you are the one who took it then you wouldn't know how hard or effective it was.  If someone strikes out at you then why would you not go down?  Why should Dooher let tramps like that constantly beat the shit out of him throughout a match?  He takes enough punishment and these players are obviously trying to grind away at him in order to have a detrimental effect on his performance.  Dooher was only after getting wrestled to the ground and subsequently Harte tries to be the coward and hit him on the sly – fair play to Dooher!!

Croi, I don't think you can say for definite that Dooher went down easily, or dived. The fact is that Doran Harte stupidly, or in frustration, punched him in the stomach. I've got a few belts into the stomach, and they can easily put you down, especially when you're not expecting it. It's not as if Harte shouldered him and he went down holding his face.

We can all have our doubts, but I think it's unfair to assume he dived in that incident.

feetofflames

Chief Wiggum

AN other

Dooher should have saved himself the hassle of getting off the ground after making a meal of Healy's challenge. Obviously Harte was stupid to lash out like that but i'd put money on it the couple of words he had with Dooher before he did lash out were in relation to the meal he had made of Healy's challenge. Unless the punch itself is strong enough to knock a player to the ground there's no reason to collapse to the ground like he did unless it's a conscious decision. Even if he was heavily winded (As Dermot Bannon was at one stage the far end of the pitch in the second half) falling to the ground is senseless. Harte was going to go regardless and Dooher just made a tit of himself.

Over the Bar

QuoteWhat's your view on the Bellew incident when the Cavan player got send off by the way?

Still waitin on Onion Bag's response to this one..............

AZOffaly

Or maybe it hurt? Look I don't condone diving in any shape or form, but I think it's harsh to assume he 'dived' on Saturday. Heals should know better than pulling a lad onto the ground, and he didn't complain too much, he knew himself. Harte was stupid to punch him, and he had to go.

I think you are being harsh on Dooher.

Joe Umbrella (hey)

All I can say is good man big Clancy, Laois have showed a big lack of bottle over the years and have never won a senior All - Ireland. they never will if  like Clancy continue to behave in this appalling manner. Down were dead and buried with a man down in the second half but rolled up thier sleeves and fought like winners, Down are in the next round and Clancy is not!!!

Its a shame for Laois because they have a great passionate support and in the likes of Tom Kelly some truly great players. They gave us a footballing lesson in Newcastle last year and deserve more than to see that kind of behaviour - by my reckoning the sending off of big Dan was Clancy's only input into the game and on top of this he got himself suspended for the previous game.