Red card for Gordon and first prize in acting to..

Started by wobbller, July 27, 2008, 11:36:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over the Bar

Onion-bag still avoiding the question on Francie Bellew...........    ;D

orangeman

Quote from: balladmaker on July 28, 2008, 01:06:32 AM
Two points on the Gordon / Clancy incident:

1: Clancy feigned injury big time, he went down like he had been shot.

2: It is evident from the video of the incident that Gordon did make an attempt to go in with the head, so the intent was there whether he made contact or not.
In the balance, a harsh sending off, but I've seen players get a red card for an awful lot less e.g. Diarmuid Marsden in the 2003 All Ireland Final.

That's why there's no point in appealing.

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteWith that said, explain to me why Dooher didn't have every right to go down after being punched regardless of where he's struck,

A player has a right to go only if he's injured enough that he needs to go down. I suppose only Brian Dooher knows whether this was the case after the punch he received. Yes Harte deserved the line whether or not Dooher went down but it is a relevant issue as a lack of player integrity is bad for the game. I'd agree with Seanie that Tommy Lyons made a good point last night with regards to the GPA but I wouldn't hold my breath on that issue.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

DUBSFORSAM1

What I find most embarrassing is the hits/belts the hurles can and do take time after time with a hurl and comfortably stay on their feet and compare it to watching the footballers a lot who are now falling over whenever possible and dragging the player down on top of them....

magpie seanie

QuoteIts a shame for Laois because they have a great passionate support and in the likes of Tom Kelly some truly great players

Not unknown for him to hit the deck easy either though a class player alright.

downgirl

Not sure if this has been posted already so apologies if it has, just seen this on BBC website:

Meanwhile Down are to appeal Dan Gordon's sending-off in the two-point win over Laois on Saturday.

Television evidence suggests the player was harshly treated.

How long will it take the appeal to go through??

Pangurban

No chance of being heard before next Sunday, but depending on what was stated in Refs.report a case could possibly be made that he be allowed  to play pending appeal, there are precedents

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 28, 2008, 10:27:11 PM
QuoteIts a shame for Laois because they have a great passionate support and in the likes of Tom Kelly some truly great players

Not unknown for him to hit the deck easy either though a class player alright.

I think in Kelly's situation it's usually to win a free. At the risk of being burned for blasphemy, I think that crept into his game under the tutelage of Micko.

I can't think off hand of any dying swan theatrics to get lads sent off or anything..

magpie seanie

Did he not get a lad sent off a few years ago? I think he did but can't remember who.

AZOffaly

Maybe so, I can't remember. I know I've nearly lost my mind at him a few times going down to win frees, a bg strong man like him, but I honestly can't think of any face clutching agony moments.

GrandMasterFlash

Jaysus lads Gordon almost deserves the suspension for that photo of him on the BBC website alone..  ::)

Rossfan

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 29, 2008, 09:53:31 AM
Maybe so, I can't remember. I know I've nearly lost my mind at him a few times going down to win frees, a bg strong man like him, but I honestly can't think of any face clutching agony moments.

Wasnt it a Kildare lad in a Leinster Final - 2003 obviously- who caught his shoulder but he went down holding his face.???
He recovered after the Kildare chap got a red card. ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

magpie seanie

That sounds right to me Rossfan. Amazing how the memory fades.

Niall Quinn

Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad