Kerry v Monaghan part 2

Started by Kerry Mike, July 27, 2008, 10:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

you are having a laugh? freeman , woods ,hanratty,finlay all have far more to offer than derry who have paddy bradley and to some extent his brother and that is it. derry are behind monaghan.  if derry got organised than maybe, but until then they are behind.

Bogball XV

Quote from: INDIANA on August 03, 2008, 10:16:29 PM
you are having a laugh? freeman , woods ,hanratty,finlay all have far more to offer than derry who have paddy bradley and to some extent his brother and that is it. derry are behind monaghan.  if derry got organised than maybe, but until then they are behind.
finlay? hanratty???
Whose having a laugh now?  I know what you mean about derry getting organised, but even as was, a derry team beset by in team fighting and with a litany of injuries should have dumped Monaghan out 2 weeks ago.

magickingdom

Quote from: Bogball XV on August 03, 2008, 10:11:35 PM
I don't understand your point about provincial championships evening themselves out.

there will be times when ulster football is considered the best, likewise with leinster/munster/conaught

magickingdom

Quote from: Bogball XV on August 03, 2008, 10:20:15 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 03, 2008, 10:16:29 PM
finlay? hanratty???
Whose having a laugh now?  I know what you mean about derry getting organised, but even as was, a derry team beset by in team fighting and with a litany of injuries should have dumped Monaghan out 2 weeks ago.

paddy bradley is one amazing player

Mike Sheehy

Quotehowever by the law of averages you'll lose a fair percentage of tough games,

Look, the only question you have to ask yourself about the modern period is, since the qualifiers started do you honestly think that kerry would have failed to reach the quarter finals if they were in Ulster ? Its purely speculation, I know, but I think we would have, whether through the back door or front door.

And, as for the entire history of the association, think about it this way, if Cavan can amass 40(?) Ulster titles is it so hard to imagine Kerry amassing 60-70 odd Ulster titles ?

Quoteconstantly stream out this bollox

you lads constantly stream out bollox about the quality of your province yet the performance of Down and Fermanagh were, possibly, the two worst performances we have ever seen in the qualifiers. The absolute quality of their football was abysmal. Note my use of "absolute quality" versus their quality relative to other teams in Ulster. There is a big difference as you lads are finding out.

Maguire01

Entertaining game, although disappointing to lose, we put in a good performance. We lost it at midfield in my opinion - O'Sé cleaned up, but at times he was totally unchallenged.

At the end of the day, we're out, but with a good run after a terrible opening day in Enniskillen. Watching Fermanagh last Sunday and today, it's difficult to understand how we threw that first game, and a real chance at Ulster, away.

johnpower

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 03, 2008, 10:51:16 PM
Entertaining game, although disappointing to lose, we put in a good performance. We lost it at midfield in my opinion - O'Sé cleaned up, but at times he was totally unchallenged.

At the end of the day, we're out, but with a good run after a terrible opening day in Enniskillen. Watching Fermanagh last Sunday and today, it's difficult to understand how we threw that first game, and a real chance at Ulster, away.

What a day . I have never been as nervous about a game in all my time watching football . Monaghan are some team and Kerry were lucky that we won the midfield battle . The differences between the first and second games was huge . Key players  stood out for kerry today especially at key times .I need to see the vidoe to fully analyise the match but Star ,Dara ,Tommy Walsh really stood out

orangeman

Kerry won this game without all their big names playing well - Gooch looks a pale shadow of the player he was last year. I think an average corner back would mark him at the minute.

johnpower

Quote from: Tyrones own on August 03, 2008, 08:30:05 PM
Quote from: MacCruiskeen on August 03, 2008, 06:23:37 PM
Aidan O'Mahoney is a truly great footballer. Small dive in first half, no doubt, but my vote for best player in the country.

Very very cynical in my eyes TBH but like the rest of the team he seems to get away with it,
BTW how did O'Sullivan get away with relentlessly abusing Deegan like that ??? ....Maybe it's a Kerry thing :-\

Yes we all get thought it at the age of 10 . So sorry you were offended .Maurice looked most upset

erne bhoy

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 03, 2008, 10:50:11 PM
Quotehowever by the law of averages you'll lose a fair percentage of tough games,

Look, the only question you have to ask yourself about the modern period is, since the qualifiers started do you honestly think that kerry would have failed to reach the quarter finals if they were in Ulster ? Its purely speculation, I know, but I think we would have, whether through the back door or front door.

And, as for the entire history of the association, think about it this way, if Cavan can amass 40(?) Ulster titles is it so hard to imagine Kerry amassing 60-70 odd Ulster titles ?

Quoteconstantly stream out this bollox

you lads constantly stream out bollox about the quality of your province yet the performance of Down and Fermanagh were, possibly, the two worst performances we have ever seen in the qualifiers. The absolute quality of their football was abysmal. Note my use of "absolute quality" versus their quality relative to other teams in Ulster. There is a big difference as you lads are finding out.

I would not consider myself an expert on the standard of the southern education system but by any chance have you ever heard of "the troubles". Strange how a team outside the six counties can amass such a huge total and then win diddly squat in the modern era. Cavan have barely been competitive for the majority of the last 10 years but seem to have a provincial trophy list which signils a football aristocracy akin to kerrys. It would be a great experiment to send 750,000 prods, the orange order and the british army down to cork and kerry for about 80 years and see what happens there.

BTW kerry must have the highest percentage of snobbish old farmer looking supporters in the country There were more kerry stereotypes than you could shake a stick at in croker today

Zulu

I think Cavan won most of their titles before the troubles began so I'm not sure you have much of a point.

unforgiven

The class and skill of Kerry shone through in the game against a workmanlike Monaghan team.  Thankfully the team with the ability to play a bit of football came through with the result.

Don't think Monaghan are any great shakes (apart from T. Freeman) and I can't see them winning any titles in the near future.  Simply not enough true footballers

Tyrones own

QuoteYes we all get thought it at the age of 10 . So sorry you were offended .Maurice looked most upset

Eh.... want a try that again there John, somebody buy ye a few too many pints today or what? :P
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Mike Sheehy

QuoteI would not consider myself an expert on the standard of the southern education system but by any chance have you ever heard of "the troubles". Strange how a team outside the six counties can amass such a huge total and then win diddly squat in the modern era. Cavan have barely been competitive for the majority of the last 10 years but seem to have a provincial trophy list which signils a football aristocracy akin to kerrys. It would be a great experiment to send 750,000 prods, the orange order and the british army down to cork and kerry for about 80 years and see what happens there.

Yes it is very strange isnt it. When you lads can answer why Cavan have 6 AI from ~40 Ulsters then we might listen to ye. Also, are you blaming the troubles for the fact that Fermanagh couldn't score for 25 minutes today ?

QuoteBTW kerry must have the highest percentage of snobbish old farmer looking supporters in the country There were more kerry stereotypes than you could shake a stick at in croker today

Well, I never see enough of Fermanagh folk to know of any "sterotypes" asssociated with them...apart from getting their arses handed to them in Croke park.

Mike Sheehy

QuoteIt would be a great experiment to send 750,000 prods, the orange order and the british army down to cork and kerry for about 80 years and see what happens there.

As you know, we have produced many footballers that kick with both feet. I'm sure we could work with that 750000 and work something out.