Down v Wexford

Started by interested, July 27, 2008, 08:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

western exile

I just watched the rerun of this game on Setanta, without all the emotion of being at the game in Croke Park  8)

In the first half, Down were the better team. They could have been going in at half time 0-8 to 0-7 ahead instead they they found themselves 2-5 to 0-7 in arrears. Two very soft goals that should have been defended safely.  In the second half they were always chasing the game and Wexford stepped up their tackling intensity, just like they did in Wexford Park earlier this year.  And congratulations to them, they did what they had to do to win from that leading position. I wish them all the best in the quarter final.

Throughout the game, the Down forwards were getting no protection from the referee. They were being consistently fouled in a manner that almost all other referees issue yellow cards for.  Even Coulter, who was being double marked, still managed to win some fine possession against the odds, but was illegally fouled many times that he received no free for.  It is a credit to all the Down players (IMHO) that they did not dive or play negative tactics, but stood up like men.  This was displayed in no better way than in the 70th minute when Rodgers was fouled in possession with a heavy shoulder to his ribs.  No card was issued, in fact no free was even awarded to him, but Ambrose took the hit and continued to take his shot at the posts. Only then, did he lie down with his ruptured spleen . Get well soon Ambrose, we all wish you well. You proved all your critics wrong this championship (including myself)

Overall, this year has still been progress for this Down team and management. But there is still work to do. For example, it was obvious back in February that there was a problem with leaking 2 soft goals per game. I don't know the answer to that one  ??? But that is just one of the challenges for the Ross and co. next year.

Yes I Would

Quote from: western exile on August 05, 2008, 09:42:54 PM
I just watched the rerun of this game on Setanta, without all the emotion of being at the game in Croke Park  8)

In the first half, Down were the better team. They could have been going in at half time 0-8 to 0-7 ahead instead they they found themselves 2-5 to 0-7 in arrears. Two very soft goals that should have been defended safely.  In the second half they were always chasing the game and Wexford stepped up their tackling intensity, just like they did in Wexford Park earlier this year.  And congratulations to them, they did what they had to do to win from that leading position. I wish them all the best in the quarter final.

Throughout the game, the Down forwards were getting no protection from the referee. They were being consistently fouled in a manner that almost all other referees issue yellow cards for.  Even Coulter, who was being double marked, still managed to win some fine possession against the odds, but was illegally fouled many times that he received no free for.  It is a credit to all the Down players (IMHO) that they did not dive or play negative tactics, but stood up like men.  This was displayed in no better way than in the 70th minute when Rodgers was fouled in possession with a heavy shoulder to his ribs.  No card was issued, in fact no free was even awarded to him, but Ambrose took the hit and continued to take his shot at the posts. Only then, did he lie down with his ruptured spleen . Get well soon Ambrose, we all wish you well. You proved all your critics wrong this championship (including myself)

Overall, this year has still been progress for this Down team and management. But there is still work to do. For example, it was obvious back in February that there was a problem with leaking 2 soft goals per game. I don't know the answer to that one  ??? But that is just one of the challenges for the Ross and co. next year.

Think you should maybe go and watch it again, without your red and black glasses on.

By the way i wish Ambrose a speedy recovery. He has come back strongly this year and performed admirably on Saturday. I thought the hit he recived was hard but fair, just unfortunate he recieved such a horrible injury as a result of it.

Onlooker

As one who saw the great Down players of the 1960's as well as the 1990's and who admires Down football from a distance of a couple of hundred miles, I was very disappointed by Down's display last Sunday.  It was the poorest performance I have seen from Down in Croke Park.  I thought that Down were on the way back after the 2 games against Tyrone, but I am afraid they have an awful long way to go.  Sorry to hear about Ambrose Rodgers' injury.  He is a fine player and I wish him a quick return to good health.

Model Hammer

western exile, I was at the game, and I watched it again on rte.ie last night. One thing that's for sure is that you don't get the full picture of a game from the TV. You get replays and close-ups but you miss so much off-the-ball running and marking.

In my opinion the Wexford defence came of age in a sense last Saturday. I've never seen them so well organised, coordinated and committed. The tracking of their men off the ball was excellent, coupled with the added ingredient of Brian Malone's excellent reading of the game to either force the passer to delay, or actually intercept the long ball ahead of the inside forwards. His reading of the game, bursts out the field in possession and sheer energy have been a feature of our entire season.

I will agree with you that the tackling was intense, but it was much more measured and less reckless overall than in recent years where we have conceded too many frees. I think Down were awarded a fair few scorable frees, and what a free-taker Carr is! Wonder where he got it from? I disagree in general about the referee. Twice he blew up a Wexford back in close to goal for impeding the forward before the ball was played into him. They're pretty rare in championship and we coughed up two points on Saturday for it. David Walsh was yellow-carded early on for a foul on Clarke. So he had to be wary for the rest of the game. An awful lot of he turnovers in that area were Down forwards fumbling or failing to gain possession (Wexford were fairly guilty on that score too).

I have to add that it makes me smile to hear fellas complaining about over-robust tackling after they have survived 3 (and a half) tough Ulster championship encounters.

It was always going to be necessary that we broke even at midfield if we were going to be able to sustain the intensity of that defensive effort, and on the day the backs got enough breathers by their colleagues further up-field contesting the middle third and not allowing the defence to be over-run.

Finally, as you were so kind as to give us the minute of the Rogers challenge, I went back and looked at it tonight. I don't think there was much in it. It may have been a free but I'm not so sure. Certainly never a yellow. I don't think the defender (Morrissey I think) need have anything on his conscience, and in fairness I don't think you suggested as much.

Anyway, I look forward to reading the Armagh boys complaining of over-robust Wexford defence next week. If we can put in a rearguard effort like that again, and contest the middle third, we should be closer to them than 3 years ago in Croker.

western exile

In no way did I intend to take away any credit for Wexfords great performance on Saturday, especially the second half.  I was merely trying to change the tone / perception that Down lost because, and only because, they were very bad.
And I agree that if Wexford can reproduce that second half for 70 minutes then Armagh will be in trouble. And I wish you well there  ;)

Malone Aristocrat

I'd like to wish ambrose a speedy recovery from what looked like a fair challenge that he took well. unfortunate all round.

Quote from: western exile on August 05, 2008, 09:42:54 PM
Throughout the game, the Down forwards were getting no protection from the referee. They were being consistently fouled in a manner that almost all other referees issue yellow cards for.  Even Coulter, who was being double marked, still managed to win some fine possession against the odds, but was illegally fouled many times that he received no free for.  It is a credit to all the Down players (IMHO) that they did not dive or play negative tactics, but stood up like men.  This was displayed in no better way than in the 70th minute when Rodgers was fouled in possession with a heavy shoulder to his ribs.  No card was issued, in fact no free was even awarded to him

WE - that's the worst kind of sour grapes after a championship exit. wexford were strong, aggressive, tough in the tackle but fair. in fact their tackling was extremely impressive and they've obviously worked hard on it. on a larger theme, the netball that passes for club football in down does not help down players at intercounty level and this is obviously down to the refereeing they are exposed to week in week out. you'd be better off cutting the shote out of each other like the rest of us do.

Quote from: Model Hammer on August 05, 2008, 11:10:53 PM
Anyway, I look forward to reading the Armagh boys complaining of over-robust Wexford defence next week.

You can be guaranteed you won't get that complain from Armagh!

Our Nail Loney

Terrible game, even worse in the crowd, some wexford 'fan' gave us stick the whole first half about being northern c***ts and shouting about the uvf etc until he got a slap for his troubles. Worse than a loyalist.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: AFS on August 06, 2008, 07:14:06 PM
Quote from: Our Nail Loney on August 06, 2008, 07:04:56 PM
Terrible game, even worse in the crowd, some wexford 'fan' gave us stick the whole first half about being northern c***ts and shouting about the uvf etc until he got a slap for his troubles. Worse than a loyalist.

I hate that shite that you hear from some of southern 'Gaels' at matches. 'British b**tards', 'Go back to your own country', things about marching at Drumcree, etc, etc. I've heard it all at matches. To hear things like this from fellow Gaels is disgusting.

I know, I know. Was all a bit of banter til that dick started making northern digs, the uvf thing was the final straw. He didnt open his mouth after though, you could see his mates were embarrassed for him, as were the guards who told him to wise up.

charlie stubbs

trouble seems to follow you to all gaa games you attend!!you should possibly consider becoming more of an armchair supporter!!

in reference to the game terrible game of football by 2 bad teams.  down would possibly have had a chance if dan gordon got his suspension overturned, you cant give away goals like they did and expect to progress.  Can anyone tell me how mcguigan gets a game??surely there is a better option that him?was watching game with a mate he took a short kick out i said "watch this" carried the ball then just fisted it 2 knowone!!

Our Nail Loney

Have to agree with you charles re mcguigan, he just is not county standard, there are much better defenders in down not getting a chance for one reason or another but he shouldn't be there, must be djs influence.

Uladh

Well they should have played him then

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

the milkman

Quote from: charlie stubbs on August 06, 2008, 07:57:40 PM

trouble seems to follow you to all gaa games you attend!!you should possibly consider becoming more of an armchair supporter!!

in reference to the game terrible game of football by 2 bad teams.  down would possibly have had a chance if dan gordon got his suspension overturned, you cant give away goals like they did and expect to progress.  Can anyone tell me how mcguigan gets a game??surely there is a better option that him?was watching game with a mate he took a short kick out i said "watch this" carried the ball then just fisted it 2 knowone!!

The teams made it into the last 12. so if they are both poor teams what does this say about the standard of football at present. I would admit it was a terrible game by 2 improving teams.

Our Nail Loney

We'll see how well armagh do this weekend against wexford, could get a surprise