Down v Wexford

Started by interested, July 27, 2008, 08:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

Not trying to start an argument but I really don't accept that Mandown.

I take your point about a team being reduced to 14 raising their game, but this is totally different circumstances.

Firstly it did not occour during a game so therefore would not have the immediate emotive impact that a red card during a match would. Secondly - any player who does not go out and give 100% should not be allowed to grace Croke Park.

hopball

I am sick of hearing about how well Ross Carr has done this year etc with Down.  I do recall when Paddy O'Rourke was managing that he got Down to an Ulster Final, which is lets face it a little more desirable than a McKenna Cup!!  And I remember also that all these Down fans asking for O'Rourkes head.  So why then are they not looking for Carr's as he has brought nothing to the Down set up at all.  A brutal back line and full dependence on Coulter when the going gets tough????????  So how has he done well then??

pintsofguinness

I forgot about paddy o'rourke  :D
I like him, I remember his appearances on tv too - wasn't it end to end he made an awful fool of himself and I think it was the BBC too.
He was a great laugh.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Mandown

I agree that any player pulling on a county Jersey should give 100%.
Had Down started the game without Dan they may have been considered underdogs.
They have always performed better as underdogs and when least expected to win.
Just my opinion!!
Mental attitude has a big bearing on any game. Speaking in general, as a manager preparing a team considered favorites its is difficult to convince players that they are gonna be up against it. Particularly when you have people telling them all week that they are gonna win easy. It becomes embedded in their mind.

OnTheLine

Definitely some juvenile sub-hogan stand posting on this thread. I'm happy enough to hear reasonable criticism from neutrals such as indiana and others but the posts from the usual halfwits just show how insecure some people are... Being from east down I've never really had any particular dislike of Armagh but I'm starting to understand why Newry people are so antagonistic towards them!

the milkman

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 03, 2008, 12:19:11 PM
I like him, I remember his appearances on tv too - wasn't it end to end he made an awful fool of himself and I think it was the BBC too.
He was a great laugh.

You wouldnt say that to the man's face so dont slabber about him on this!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: the milkman on August 03, 2008, 01:46:00 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 03, 2008, 12:19:11 PM
He was a great laugh.

You wouldnt say that to the man's face so dont slabber about him on this!
Don't be so uptight, I'm sure he's had worse things said about and to him, I just laugh when I think of his idiotic appearance on End to End and him going after Houlie thinking he'd know more about the armagh injuries than houlie would. 
Im pretty sure there was a similar idiotic appearance on the BBC a week or so later - but he was good for Down football  :D
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

southdown

Rodgers has operations after game  from BBC

Down midfielder Ambrose Rodgers underwent two emergency operations after Saturday's All-Ireland qualifier defeat to Wexford at Croke Park.

He finished the game but a collision late in the game left him in pain.

Doctors acted quickly in the dressing room and took him to the Mater Hospital in Dublin where he was operated on for a suspected ruptured spleen.

Ambrose lost more than two litres of blood and had to have another operation to remove the spleen.

He is now recovering from the operations in the Mater.

Ambrose only returned to the Down squad in May after being out for a year with a cruciate injury.

The doctor for the operations was none other than Gerry McEntee, the former Meath footballer who actually played directly against the late Ambrose Rodgers Snr in the last five minutes of the 1991 All Ireland Final.

Gutted for him, 2 other lads I know suffered the same injury, he will be out for a long time.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Awesome result for Wexford, awesome display, well done, great rebound. Down were very, very poor, and I don't know who could really explain that -- it was like their Croke Park invincibility in reverse.

Quote from: southdown on August 03, 2008, 02:00:18 PM
Rodgers has operations after game  from BBC
Gutted for him, 2 other lads I know suffered the same injury, he will be out for a long time.

That's bad news, best to him.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Down Gael

Ambrose took a big hit late in the game, it looked like a shoulder to the chest. He went down afterwards and received a bit of attention, although he played on he seemed a bit dazed. Hope he is ok and we see him back in a Down shirt next year.

the milkman

All the best to Ambrose, sad to hear that! Hopefully he will be back playing football next year.

stew

Whats the latest on rodgers, I hope he is ok, that is a nasty injury, why the fcuk did they not take him off when he was all but out on his feet???
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

stew

Down flatter to deceive once again, they really have been one of the worst teams in the country since the late nineties, with so many clubs and players to choose from, how can they be this bad for so long?
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: stew on August 03, 2008, 04:00:21 PM
Down flatter to deceive once again, they really have been one of the worst teams in the country since the late nineties, with so many clubs and players to choose from, how can they be this bad for so long?

They were in the last 12 of the AI series, during which they beat tyrone, offaly and laois, how can they be one of the worst teams you spa?

INDIANA

hope rodgers is ok, he's a good player and hopefully he makes a full recovery and gets back playing.