Tír Eoghain vs Maigh Eo '08

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 27, 2008, 06:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

full back

Quote from: orangeman on August 02, 2008, 10:11:51 PM
No way did he deserve to be sent off - If Gormley deserved a sending off, then how about Peadar Gardiner's "policing" of Dooher ??? I thought

You sound like the OWCer's ::)

He went into Mortimer after the goal & at the start of the 2nd half he had a very late tackle
FFS orangeman take off the tinted glasses

Tatler Jack

Seems we are not happy when players are sent off and when they are not. If we are to send off for every Gormley type incident then we would have sending offs in every game. Mortimer is well able to look after himself and win the odd free in the process!!! Same goes for Dooher.

tyssam5

Quote from: full back on August 02, 2008, 10:18:26 PM
No way did he deserve to be sent off - If Gormley deserved a sending off, then how about Peadar Gardiner's "policing" of Dooher ??? I thought

He went into Mortimer after the goal & at the start of the 2nd half he had a very late tackle

A 'late tackle'  :o, heaven help us all, send for the parish priest! Sounds like the day balanced out for him then, since as Orangeman mentioned earlier he got booked for nothing at all. Can't understand lads crying about that game, there was hardly a tackle in the whole thing.

orangeman

Quote from: full back on August 02, 2008, 10:18:26 PM

Where did you get yours ??  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

full back

So was Gormley moved off Mortimer because he was getting roasted?

orangeman

Quote from: full back on August 02, 2008, 10:24:18 PM
So was Gormley moved off Mortimer because he was getting roasted?

Changes were made at half time in order to reorganise the team. Gormley was moved to 6 etc etc -  Gormley wasn't getting roasted. Change of tack.

What's your take on it ?

full back

Harte knew Gormley was walking a fine line & thought if he stayed on Mortimer any longer he was more liable to get the line IMHO

The Voice Of Reason

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on August 02, 2008, 09:55:28 PM
To be honest if Tyrone play like that against an on song Dublin, Kerry or Armagh...they'll be hammered. However we know that Tyrone can come out on the day, and just do enough.

Still....hoping for Galway or Cork on Sunday evening!

I don't think you'll be wanting Cork as they have the capacity to clean you out around midfield, and obviously Dublin too. If I were a Tyrone fan I'd be hoping for either Armagh or Galway

orangeman

Quote from: full back on August 02, 2008, 10:32:41 PM
Harte knew Gormley was walking a fine line & thought if he stayed on Mortimer any longer he was more liable to get the line IMHO

You're probably right about that one - would you not have done the same thing yourself ? Was it not the sensible thing to do ? 

full back

It was indeed sensible, but the situation would not have arose if he hadnt been such a dirty fcuker in the 1st half
At least Mortimer didnt start waving an imaginary card, unlike John Clarke

orangeman

Quote from: full back on August 02, 2008, 10:40:24 PM
It was indeed sensible, but the situation would not have arose if he hadnt been such a dirty fcuker in the 1st half
At least Mortimer didnt start waving an imaginary card, unlike John Clarke

Right enough, that was ridiculous - it's getting a bit sickening all of this playacting shite. There should be extra points awarded for acts of manliness, fair play and bravery.  ;)

u bent op uw

Great result today....good luck Tir Eoghain for the quarters.

Laceer questioned C Holmes' contribution at MF. One incident epitomised Collie's commitment when he won the ball from 3 Mayo lads that led to a Tyrone score

He and the other boys are into the last 8 again....the good times continue for Tyrone....they deserve great credit for giving us another summer of football.

orangeman

Tyrone have done really well getting into the last 8 and maybe having a crack at a semi final.

Recently a lot of people on and off this board have been giving Mickey stick and telling it was time to go - maybe. maybe not - but one thing is sure - he made mostly the right calls today and earned his keep.

Barney

Just back in from Dublin after the obligatory post-match point and post-mortem in the local. Wasn't in the mood for much talking so said I'd call it a night.

Another disappointing day. An insipid display - the best performers were the old stagers - the men you don't expect to let you down like Nallen, and Heaney. I hear Tom Parsons was criticised on TV. I think that is unfair. Yes, his kicking was poor but he dominated midfield on his own for much of the game. He has made huge progress over the past 12 months, and can be a big star for us.

For the second year in a row Mayo football has been dire. Maybe its a hangover from the 2004 and 2006 thrashings to Kerry.

Much of the performance today was a token gesture at pride. There was no cut and thrust about the team and only the goal brought them into the game. Too many simple mistakes that come from a lack of hunger and a lack of focus.

Where do we go from here? No benefit to changing managers. I'm sure there will be calls for that and 2 wins in 6 championship games does merit serious review. Maybe stronger personalities are needed alongside the manager - somebody like Peter Forde, like TJ Kilgallon (however unlikely this may be). Does our training need to be adapted. We have used an athletics coach the last two years. Our play is not as crisp as it should be. Of course the County Board will no doubt place obstacles in the paths of any bright ideas while they build their Taj Mahal  in the midst of a recession.

I'll be in a better mood to debate in a few days but it is so disappointing to think that we will start 09 without a full-back, a centre-back, a serious game-plan or any kind of win to give us hope. Probably the worst year for the Mayo senior team since 1994.

The Voice Of Reason

Quote from: Barney on August 03, 2008, 12:22:11 AM
... I hear Tom Parsons was criticised on TV. I think that is unfair. Yes, his kicking was poor but he dominated midfield on his own for much of the game. He has made huge progress over the past 12 months, and can be a big star for us...

I think him tiring around the 50 minute mark was a massive factor in Mayo losing the midfield battle. He caught copious amounts of clean possession in the first 50 minutes, and also gave good passes that were sympathetic for the forwards to run on to as well. However after that I felt that he looked quite tired, which is quite understandable given it's probably his first year of full championship action.