When And Why

Started by bigpaul, July 26, 2008, 01:22:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigpaul

I have been wondering lately when and why Fermanagh changed from green and red to green and white.I know some counties have changed colours in the past, but Fermanagh are the most recent by quite some time. I know that Sligo decided to stick with (what had been their second strip of black and white as opposed to white and black) after their championship victory over Kildare in 2001.Was there a similar momentous occasion for Fermanagh or was there another reason?

Tyrones own

Armagh are getting closer and closer to their neighbours colours,
  Perhaps hoping something will rub off ;)
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

AZOffaly

I knew I wasn't going mad! When I said a while ago that I remembererd Fermanagh playing in a league game in Tullamore in Green and Red I was laughed off the board. Then I saw a report about this is one of the papers. Apparently, green and white were the colours, but a new man came in to manage them in 1981 or 1982 and decided to change their colours to green with a red trim. They reached the Ulster final that year (I think) but couldn't make the break through. After he left, they changed back to green and white again.

So to all who doubted me.  :P

And thanks to big paul for reminding me :D

AZOffaly

ALthough, by the way, I think Fermanagh changed 'back' a good while ago, at least going by the reaction on that thread back then. They couldn't countenance Fermanagh in green and red.

Or maybe it was down in the pub I had this discussion. Shag it, I forget.

Derry seem to play in Red with a white band rather than their 1993 All Ireland white with red band. I'm not sure which is their 'true' colours.

Sligo obviously went to black with white trim from white with black trim after the Kildare game in Croker. I think they actually got fined the next game out, until the change was officially made that winter.

I can't remember too many making drastic changes, most of it is just design, like Donegal doing away with the hoop, and Leitrim.

Doire abú

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 26, 2008, 10:43:19 AM
ALthough, by the way, I think Fermanagh changed 'back' a good while ago, at least going by the reaction on that thread back then. They couldn't countenance Fermanagh in green and red.

Or maybe it was down in the pub I had this discussion. Shag it, I forget.

Derry seem to play in Red with a white band rather than their 1993 All Ireland white with red band. I'm not sure which is their 'true' colours.

Sligo obviously went to black with white trim from white with black trim after the Kildare game in Croker. I think they actually got fined the next game out, until the change was officially made that winter.

I can't remember too many making drastic changes, most of it is just design, like Donegal doing away with the hoop, and Leitrim.

The county board don't actually know themselves. In a article I was reading in the Derry GAA annual a couple of years ago, the county board actually weren't sure, contacted Croke Park who said they were officially registered as white and red. But then to complicate matters further a Derry GAA historian or something provided evidence to the contrary. So I still don't think anyone really knows.

Down Gael

Derry normally play in a white shirt with a red band unless there is a clash of colours.
Is it just me or are there too many colour clashes in the GAA. How many times do we see 2 teams in different shades of green (mayo v Kerry) or 2 blues (Laois v Dublin) Surely there should be a change of shirts in games like these.

thebandit

What about the pink Derry jersies  :D :D

Down Gael

Quote from: thebandit on July 26, 2008, 12:05:12 PM
What about the pink Derry jersies  :D :D

That one was specifically for Paddy Bradley  ;)

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 26, 2008, 10:39:19 AM
I knew I wasn't going mad! When I said a while ago that I remembererd Fermanagh playing in a league game in Tullamore in Green and Red I was laughed off the board. Then I saw a report about this is one of the papers. Apparently, green and white were the colours, but a new man came in to manage them in 1981 or 1982 and decided to change their colours to green with a red trim. They reached the Ulster final that year (I think) but couldn't make the break through. After he left, they changed back to green and white again.

So to all who doubted me.  :P

And thanks to big paul for reminding me :D

Irish by birth, Mayo by the Grace of God

AZOffaly

bigpaul

Thanks for that AZOffaly,think they should have stuck wih the green with red trim and avoided the round necked jerseys.As for Son-of-Sam,you can add a double  ??? for me!!!!!

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: bigpaul on July 27, 2008, 12:21:38 AM
Thanks for that AZOffaly,think they should have stuck wih the green with red trim and avoided the round necked jerseys.As for Son-of-Sam,you can add a double  ??? for me!!!!!

There can only be one green & red, Mayo. Actually someone told me up until the 1930's Galway used paly in Maroon & Green & changed because it clashed with Mayo, can anyone clarify if that its true or false.