Sinn Finn MLA Francie Brolley critical of Tri Colour on town light polls

Started by Maximus Marillius, July 25, 2008, 09:37:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus Marillius

Sinn Finn MLA Francie Brolley was critical of the tri colour being put on the light polls in Dungiven. Apparently the town is lined on both sides of its entire street. On radio Ulster this morning he said that he was not an appropriate way for the town to remember its hunger striker in its commemoration plans for this weekend and that essentially flying the tri colour in  this manner was not respectful. I have to agree with him that this practise is an abomination and simply is a total lack of respect to the flag. Brolley also said that in a business town and a main drive threw town it would certainly make some customers drive unto the next town. He said if he went into a town and it was lined by Union Jacks he would keep driving and spent his money in another town that was not as intimidating. IMO flying flags in this way is meant to be totally intimidating and has nothing what so ever to do with republicism or commemorations.

spiritof91and94

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on July 25, 2008, 09:37:19 AM
Sinn Finn MLA Francie Brolley was critical of the tri colour being put on the light polls in Dungiven. Apparently the town is lined on both sides of its entire street. On radio Ulster this morning he said that he was not an appropriate way for the town to remember its hunger striker in its commemoration plans for this weekend and that essentially flying the tri colour in  this manner was not respectful. I have to agree with him that this practise is an abomination and simply is a total lack of respect to the flag. Brolley also said that in a business town and a main drive threw town it would certainly make some customers drive unto the next town. He said if he went into a town and it was lined by Union Jacks he would keep driving and spent his money in another town that was not as intimidating. IMO flying flags in this way is meant to be totally intimidating and has nothing what so ever to do with republicism or commemorations.

How many towns do we see with Union Flags and terror group flags flying from May to September? Do we here the unionists mla's complaining?
Sinners are starting to piss everyone off with there 'do good' campaigns...........

Zapatista

I agree with him too. I have no respect for the flag but if I did I would not like to see it like this.

Zapatista

Quote from: spiritof91and94 on July 25, 2008, 10:09:44 AM

How many towns do we see with Union Flags and terror group flags flying from May to September? Do we here the unionists mla's complaining?
Sinners are starting to piss everyone off with there 'do good' campaigns...........

and whataboutthemotherwans too

SCENTOFSAM

Have to agree with Francie. This business of flying flags from lamp posts shows absolutely no respect for the Tricolour and just because loyalists do it does not make it right. Why would any one want to mimic the behaviour of the scumbags who cover their areas in red white and blue and whose respect for thie colours goes as far as weaing their flag on their arses with their union jack boxer shorts.There are "rules" governing flying the flag and showing respect for it and hanging it from lamp posts does not constitute respect.

nifan

Just because the unionist mps havent said it doesnt take away from francie brollies very valid point. He made it about his town but it could be said about many places across NI on both sides.

Rois

It's a very sensible statement by Brolly, fair play to him and totally agree.

Maximus Marillius

Is it not more of a case that Francie Brolley is half intelligent and realises how counter productivce that flag crap is....IMO if you have confidence in your culture and beliefs...you dont need to be doing the coat trailing

Zapatista

You right about the dogs pissing to mark their space but a flag pole does the same.

Zapatista

Quote from: tram on July 25, 2008, 10:33:18 AM
Quote from: Zapatista on July 25, 2008, 10:29:35 AM
You right about the dogs pissing to mark their space but a flag pole does the same.
What do you think then of the memorial in your home town of Dromore (am I right)?

I think it is marking territory. The memorial is for Bobby Sands which is grand but I'd have no bother removing the tricolour.

magpie seanie

Francie Brolly is 100% correct in this case and fair play to him.

lynchbhoy

yep, I would agree with francie on this. The odd Irish flag flying is ok, but festooning the street with the lamposts covered the whole way up in them  - well thats way OTT

lynchbhoy

driving through a heap of towns in fermanagh that were bedecked with green and white colours on every lampost, telegraph pole, house, road sign and anywhere they could induce a bit of green and white - I actually didnt find that offensive.
I know a few others who said they found it quaint/refreshing/amusing.

what about anybody else?

if so why not.

why is it different to finding the 12th trappings offensive (and feel the fermanagh celebrations are not offensive - or 'marking territory' etc)

his holiness nb

Agree with Brolly fully here.

I dont see the flying of Fermanagh flags as an issue at all. Thats a sports thing.
Ask me holy bollix

Evil Genius

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 25, 2008, 12:44:56 PM
driving through a heap of towns in fermanagh that were bedecked with green and white colours on every lampost, telegraph pole, house, road sign and anywhere they could induce a bit of green and white - I actually didnt find that offensive.
I know a few others who said they found it quaint/refreshing/amusing.

what about anybody else?

if so why not.

why is it different to finding the 12th trappings offensive (and feel the fermanagh celebrations are not offensive - or 'marking territory' etc)
I have to say I'm surprised by Brolly taking this stance, but fair play to him, there's far too much flag-flying in NI.

As for the Fermanagh GAA issue, that's more ambiguous. Let me say first of all, that no reasonable person could see it as "offensive" - esp when those most "offended" are likely to be those who put their own flags everywhere around the Twelfth.

I'm sure that in the majority of cases, this flag-flying is merely GAA fans showing pride in their team and county. However, since GAA in that (otherwise mixed) county is seen as the virtually excludsive preserve of one community, perhaps some of those hanging out the flags also see it as a subtle rejoinder to the Twelfth displays etc? Further, there will be some - albeit a minority, I'd guess - who see this as a tangible way to mark out "their" territory.

Consequently, Prods driving through green and white festooned areas are liable to feel uncomfortable, even excluded, in the same way as RC's must do when they drive through their red, white and blue equivalents.

It's all a bit of a shame, really, since i'm sure ordinary GAA fans would love to be able simply to celebrate their sport without any of the connotations which others draw. I say that because I iknow from speaking to NI soccer fans that many of us feel discouraged from flying or wearing IFA colours around NI matchdays, for fear of attracting an adverse reaction.  
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"