Paul Galvin

Started by ríochtciarraí, July 24, 2008, 12:08:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Lads, lets ease up on the 'yobbish' comments.

I have no doubt that Paul Galvin is extremely rueful what he did that day, as he should be. He has admitted he was wrong, that he did wrong and that he was silly.

However, I, and many others, probably including Galvin himself, felt that the punishment meted out was heavily influenced by what occured in the aftermath. The wailing and gnashing of teeth made it very hard for the GAA to be seen as being lenient. Added to that, the fact that they didn't even consider the mitigating circumstances would have annoyed me, if I were Galvin. I'd at least like the opportunity to explain why I lost the rag, and to demonstrate that such a rage was understandable, while not condonable.

The circumstances of his case, or at least the impression a fair few observers have, is that it was almost a kangaroo court. Throw the book at him because of the profile of the player and the incident, without considering all the factors.

Obviously this is all uninformed speculation on my behalf, but I would guess that if he gets 3 months at a reconvened hearing that studies the video and accepts his explanation, then he will accept it.

I could be wrong, but if he feels he was railroaded simply because of the fact that the whole country was talking about it, then he's right to appeal it.

I thought the 6 months was harsh, but sent out a good messsage (sorry Hardy) about the respect the officials need to be given. Galvin obviously felt it was given for other reasons. Sounds like the DRA might agree with him.

orangeman

Quote from: Over the Bar on July 24, 2008, 12:55:48 PM
QuoteGaelic games are about passion, wearing your heart on your sleeve

So then previous Kerry captains and captains of other teams who chose not to behave in such a yobbish way didn't have passion or wear their hearts on their sleeve?? 

I'm not saying that at all - but he apologised at the earliest opportunity and I know ( and I'm sure you do as well ) know captains of teams whose behaviour wasn't all that it should be either - as Galvin was Kerry captain and as discipline was high on the agenda, he got hammered. Simple as that !

You've no doubt read what Paul Finlay said to the referee against Fermanagh ?? He got 8 weeks for it - some people might think he deserved more for the insulting remarks - Finlay reckons he deserved less or no time at all !

What did you make of the Finlay case ?

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: ríochtciarraí on July 24, 2008, 12:08:51 AM
He did wrong and admitted he did so but I think not many GAA fans will disagree with me when I say the original sentence was a joke.

I disagree.

He fully deserved the 6 months. His actions in interfering with the ref, then running 20 yards to hound the linesman is very socceresque. Keep that shite tae f**k out of football and hurling.

i usse an speelchekor

orangeman

In Thurles people were hitting each other with bits of timber. One well known Cork hurler jabbed an opponent in the face with his hurley - I'm sure you know what I'm referring to - later when asked, a pundit said it wasn't too bad and it looked worst that it was. The culprit will get away with it because it's acceptable to hit your opponent in the face with your hurl ???

Paul Galvin knocks the notebook out of the refs hand and gets 6 months -

Are both outcomes fair and reasonable ??

ríochtciarraí

Radio GAAGAA I think ye are missing the main point of my first post which was merely intended to highlight some deficiencies I feel are crippling the GAA. My observation on the severity of the sentence is only a personal opinion and I would be shocked were everyone to agree with me. However I do have to take issue with your comment regarding likening it to socceresque actions. This is undoubtably true but two key points to remember are that soccer players are paid professionals who have to adhere to the same regulations any of us would have to in our workplace. Paul is not a full time professional GAA player and therefore the two codes cannot be compared. If you must draw comparisons between the two I ask you do you think if a soccer player had done this would he have got the same punishment? I doubt it sincerely when you remember the sentence Cantona got for Kung fu kicking a fan, Di Canio pushing a referee (who admittedly made a meal of it) and the entire teams sometimes ganging up and forcing a referee to back pedal as they scream vitriol into his face. Some will argue that Di Canio didnt really push the referee all that hard but Galvin did not lay a finger on the referee and can you imagine the outrage had he been banned for an entire season? I am all against the GAA becoming like soccer in any shape or form as it would be enough to make me stop watching it but I feel they are different games played under very different circumstances and therefore it is an extremely unfair comparison to draw.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: ríochtciarraí on July 24, 2008, 01:49:22 PM
If you must draw comparisons between the two I ask you do you think if a soccer player had done this would he have got the same punishment? I doubt it sincerely when you remember the sentence Cantona got for Kung f* kicking a fan, Di Canio pushing a referee (who admittedly made a meal of it) and the entire teams sometimes ganging up and forcing a referee to back pedal as they scream vitriol into his face. Some will argue that Di Canio didnt really push the referee all that hard but Galvin did not lay a finger on the referee and can you imagine the outrage had he been banned for an entire season? I am all against the GAA becoming like soccer in any shape or form as it would be enough to make me stop watching it but I feel they are different games played under very different circumstances and therefore it is an extremely unfair comparison to draw.

Hence why I don't want to see that shite creep into Gaelic games.  ???

I think you kinda agree with me there.

I'll not disagree with you re. the GAA disciplinary procedures - they are a farce. The DRA and CCCC should be under the one roof.

I think the CCCC should be able to rule that the original suspension stand, even if there is a technical error, in the cases where the error made no impact on the resulting ban.

I also think that players should all sign a waiver where they accept the CCCC's decision is final - and no further appeals (especially to external courts) can be made without automatic suspension from the organisation. That would cut all this shite straight out.

i usse an speelchekor

Leo

Comparisons with pro soccer are OK if highlighting the drift to yobbish behaviour within GAA due to mega-hyped TV soccer. But in terme of dealing with referee issues tyhe better comparioson is with non-pro rugby where Galvin's actions would likely have led to a lifetime ban.

So we have to cut through all the what-about-ery, pseudo justifications and excuses, and biased ranting and simply ask what value do we place on our referees. Very little according to some posts, The radio & TV puff about how hard this whole saga is on the player, his family, the community, Kerry GAA, the blasket islanders, Jackie HR, and maybe even Peig Sayers, is irrelevant propaganda. Physical intereference with a referee in the context of this incident amounts to assault and must be viewed as just that. It is a huge leap away from verbals.

Also, County board hypocrisy in supporting the  "appeal at all costs"  agenda has to be tackled. The GAA is about more than "passion" - it is about Irish identity, Irish pride, community, sportsmanship, wellbeing. Unfortunately Galvin's actions offended all of these ideals.

Down lost an Ulster Final in 2003 because a referee sent off a key player for throwing the ball at an oppponent (after that opponent had cynically stopped a free in Down's favour from being taken with Down in the ascendancy).  By the way that was a Kerry referee!!
Everything to do with that sending off and subsequent suspension was wrong and had a seriously detrimental effect on the Down team and accellerated the end of that player's career. But the medicine (although greviously unfair)  was taken without all this pallaver. A bit of manliness from PG in taking fair punishment for his actions would not go amiss.
Fierce tame altogether

orangeman

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on July 24, 2008, 01:55:25 PM
Quote from: ríochtciarraí on July 24, 2008, 01:49:22 PM
If you must draw comparisons between the two I ask you do you think if a soccer player had done this would he have got the same punishment? I doubt it sincerely when you remember the sentence Cantona got for Kung f* kicking a fan, Di Canio pushing a referee (who admittedly made a meal of it) and the entire teams sometimes ganging up and forcing a referee to back pedal as they scream vitriol into his face. Some will argue that Di Canio didnt really push the referee all that hard but Galvin did not lay a finger on the referee and can you imagine the outrage had he been banned for an entire season? I am all against the GAA becoming like soccer in any shape or form as it would be enough to make me stop watching it but I feel they are different games played under very different circumstances and therefore it is an extremely unfair comparison to draw.

Hence why I don't want to see that shite creep into Gaelic games.  ???

I think you kinda agree with me there.

I'll not disagree with you re. the GAA disciplinary procedures - they are a farce. The DRA and CCCC should be under the one roof.

I think the CCCC should be able to rule that the original suspension stand, even if there is a technical error, in the cases where the error made no impact on the resulting ban.

I also think that players should all sign a waiver where they accept the CCCC's decision is final - and no further appeals (especially to external courts) can be made without automatic suspension from the organisation. That would cut all this shite straight out.

That would be a breach of their civil liberties and human rights and would be subject to a contest through the courts when appropriate.  ;)

Over the Bar

A captain is chosen as someone who leads the way in terms of sportsmanship, discipline, demeanor, respect etc.  For a captain of the All-Ireland champions this responsibility goes even further in terms of example for children. Therfore there is NO mitigating circumstances for a captain doing such a thing.  He might as well have sh*t on the GAA flag and captain's armband.  12 months ban would not be out of order.

QuoteWhat did you make of the Finlay case ?

8 weeks for verbal abuse seems about right, proving an apology was forthcoming.

orangeman

Quote from: Over the Bar on July 24, 2008, 02:21:18 PM
A captain is chosen as someone who leads the way in terms of sportsmanship, discipline, demeanor, respect etc.  For a captain of the All-Ireland champions this responsibility goes even further in terms of example for children. Therfore there is NO mitigating circumstances for a captain doing such a thing.  He might as well have sh*t on the GAA flag and captain's armband.  12 months ban would not be out of order.

QuoteWhat did you make of the Finlay case ?

8 weeks for verbal abuse seems about right, proving an apology was forthcoming.

Are you not being a little hypocritical here given what happened in Tyrone just a matter of a few weeks back,with, yes, you've guessed it, the senior captain ? This involved a club game where he was sent of and ......... I'm sure you know the rest ???????

spiritof91and94

Quote from: Over the Bar on July 24, 2008, 10:58:35 AM
This last 6 weeks have been a complete smokescreen.  Galvin will get off, no question about it.  Kerry & Dublin can do waht they like on and off the field of play and the media will licjk their ar$es forever.   

Galvin brings shame to the Gaa family, even the decent Kerry folk know it, but it will be painted & remembered as "passionate, sufing close to the wind, on the edge" whatever, with media interviews discussing it with a quite chuckle and a wink.   Galvin, along with Ciaran Whelan etc will create a generation of young players no better than Vinny Jones & other soccer yobs.   In no time we will have segregation at matches because of the likes of him & his antics.

shrt memories otb.
I remember ricey getting acquitted before a game in 2005 - fergal logan found the loophole
DJ Kane got 6 months on top of 6 that had one day to run because he gave a team talk in the dressingroom at half time in Omagh - galvin should take it like a man.

Over the Bar

Quoteshrt memories otb.
I remember ricey getting acquitted before a game in 2005 - fergal logan found the loophole

What on earth has that to do with this?   Have I said anywhere that Tyrone players/captains should be treated more favourably? 

QuoteAre you not being a little hypocritical here

How am I being hypocritical?  Things that happen in small club games away from the cameras however can be disputed.  I'm sure Galvin has done many things in club games that are not being thrown up.  However what happened in this case cannot be overlooked as it's been done on the big stage with hundreds of thousands watching.

orangeman

Quote from: Over the Bar on July 24, 2008, 02:44:36 PM
Quoteshrt memories otb.

What on earth has that to do with this?   Have I said anywhere that Tyrone players/captains should be treated more favourably? 

QuoteAre you not being a little hypocritical here

How am I being hypocritical?  Things that happen in small club games away from the cameras however can be disputed.  I'm sure Galvin has done many things in club games that are not being thrown up.  However what happened in this case cannot be overlooked as it's been done on the big stage with hundreds of thousands watching.

And if he had done it in Listowel or Finugue, it wouldn't have got a mention !

But in Tyrone, the powers that be went out of their way to free their captain ! Was this in your opinion the right course of action ? Can you condone that / excuse it as something that happens in small club games ?

Over the Bar

QuoteBut in Tyrone, the powers that be went out of their way to free their captain !

Was this in your opinion the right course of action ?

Absolutley not

QuoteCan you condone that / excuse it as something that happens in small club games ?

No can't be excused, but when it happens on the big stage, failure to take action is even more dangerous.

THEREALGRASSROOTS

The point a lot of people seem to miss is that 3 months is not that long a suspension.  You can get a three match ban for being sent off twice for any reason in a year.  Now take for example the player who is sent off one for dissent, cursing at the ref, whatever, and then sent off for striking.  He'll get three months for a repeat infraction.  Are you telling me that's on the same level as striking the notepad from the ref's hand?  It's not.  In relative terms, the six month suspension is right.  But in the grand scheme of things, six months is undoubtedly a bit harsh.  The whole disciplinary system needs a drastic overhaul and the DRA needs to be disbanded.  I think with all the money the GAA are spending on bits and pieces, they could pay to bin the rulebook and write a completely new one from scratch.  Preferably one that contains the advantage rule  ;D
Jazz flute is for fairies