Overcrowding at Clones

Started by Armaghtothebone, July 22, 2008, 10:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lecale2

Training for Clones stewards involves drinking a cup of tea and eating 3 or 4 sandwitches before the minor match.

A friend of mine fell down the old grass hill many years ago. He only has one leg and slipped. He rolled the whole way down with punters stepping out of his way as he rolled. It was a wet day and the poor fecker was in san awful state laying in the mud. He couldn't get up and had to be dragged back up the hill again. I don't think he's ever been back.

ziggysego

What's the odds the BBC will do a piece on this shortly...
Testing Accessibility

Tankie

Quote from: corn02 on July 23, 2008, 01:42:19 PM
Down v Armagh was very bad, especially up tpwarsd the East terrace end.

Worst crowding I have ever seen at at GAA match was the Hill during the 03 final. I know it would have been same amount of tickets as always, but our section was jammed.

It really does come down to the stewards and the problem is most of them don't give a shite. everytime i got the hill in Coker the pathways are jammed and other areas have loads of space but the stewards wont stop people from entering that section!

I can be a total joke sometimes especially when there are girls with you as they just get pushed around!
Grand Slam Saturday!

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Tankie on July 23, 2008, 03:58:48 PM
Quote from: corn02 on July 23, 2008, 01:42:19 PM
Down v Armagh was very bad, especially up tpwarsd the East terrace end.

Worst crowding I have ever seen at at GAA match was the Hill during the 03 final. I know it would have been same amount of tickets as always, but our section was jammed.

It really does come down to the stewards and the problem is most of them don't give a shite. everytime i got the hill in Coker the pathways are jammed and other areas have loads of space but the stewards wont stop people from entering that section!

I can be a total joke sometimes especially when there are girls with you as they just get pushed around!

do you meet these gilrs in copper face jacks tankie ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

his holiness nb

everytime i got the hill in Coker the pathways are jammed and other areas have loads of space but the stewards wont stop people from entering that section!

Just to be fair to them its worth noting that on at least 3 occasions last year I was stopped going to one section of the hill as it was already full and directed to another less packed area.

Ask me holy bollix

Onion Bag

Maybe this deserves its own thread, but here we go, While at the Armagh Match last w'end, i was on the hill and i seemed to be surrounded by woman of all ages. Holy f**k you want to hear the screams of them it was driving me in sane and every male round me, they were both Fermanagh and Armagh and you want to hear the shit they were coming out with, like " Penalty Referee!!!" at that last free out for Armagh, Maybe noone has noticed this but the next game you attend, take a listen. It only  leaves the question to be asked 'Should Women be allowed into Football Matches'?
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

the Deel Rover

think afs had one allready onion bag
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

Bacon

Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Onion Bag

Well what do yous think Deel and Bacon, Should they be allowed to go to matches?

Red Sea

I agree wit you there 'Armagh'. I was at Pairc Ui Choimh last month for Cork v Tipp nd I actually saw a woman in the terrace sitting down reading a book while d game was one..while here boyfriend watched d match dats a joke !! I hav buddies that couldn't get tickets 4 dat game nd d terrace was packed dat day nd she sitting on her hole! As for them talking shite ya they just roar for d sake of it.. their voices are so high pitched that it is very annoying!
Keep up the gud observations up north lad >: ;)

Tankie

Quote from: his holiness nb on July 23, 2008, 04:04:45 PM
everytime i got the hill in Coker the pathways are jammed and other areas have loads of space but the stewards wont stop people from entering that section!

Just to be fair to them its worth noting that on at least 3 occasions last year I was stopped going to one section of the hill as it was already full and directed to another less packed area.

in fairness that has happened me too but it was only where the garda have stepped in when the over crowding has already taken place.
Grand Slam Saturday!

Onion Bag

Quote from: Red Sea on July 23, 2008, 04:22:49 PM
I agree wit you there 'Armagh'. I was at Pairc Ui Choimh last month for Cork v Tipp nd I actually saw a woman in the terrace sitting down reading a book while d game was one..while here boyfriend watched d match dats a joke !! I hav buddies that couldn't get tickets 4 dat game nd d terrace was packed dat day nd she sitting on her hole! As for them talking shite ya they just roar for d sake of it.. their voices are so high pitched that it is very annoying!
Keep up the gud observations up north lad >: ;)

Thats the sort of shite that i mean, holy f**k it was unbearable, and as i left the ground i said to a mate we will choose a better spot the next time. a suggestion that could be made would be having a mens section, a sound proof wall up, and a womans section were they can read books, fix their hair, compare shoes, do their nails, gossip, etc, and let the men enjoy the match in peace  ;)

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Onion Bag on July 23, 2008, 04:17:03 PM
Well what do yous think Deel and Bacon, Should they be allowed to go to matches?

jesus onion bag in mayo we don't let them leave the kitchen sink ,ye give the woman way too much freedom up north next thing you'll be telling me woman should be allowed to go to work
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

winsamsoon

was in the hill myself last sunday lads and got in at about 1:20 just for the end of the minor game. Had to go to the far end of the ground to find a bit of space. i eventually found the space anyway and got a rail right at the front. Inside 20 minutes all around me was full of people and the actual pathways out of the ground were full to the ballix. As a result anything that went down the left hand side of the field i couldn't see and had to rely on a fermanagh lad to tell me who had the ball. There were clearly to many people in the crowd and i felt more for the kids standing around because they couldn't see a thing. I saw the gardai walking around in the crowd and the looked very unconcerned. Now having said that at no stage did i fear a stampead but it wasn't the most comfortable to say the least.

On the issue of the stewards. These guys are only normal club representatives as far as i know and i am not sure whether they get paid or not. But i would say if i had searched around for 15 minutes to find a spot were i could watch the match and a steward came to me and told me to move. I wouldn't be long telling him a few home truths. I would tell him politely but they are a few ignorants whores out there who would give the steward a mouth full and totally emabarass him. Now what steward is going to risk this. It would be different if they were paid ??? as i said i am not sure wheter they are or not.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Maguire01

A 'stampede' on the hill is very unlikely. The barriers should always prevent too many people pushing from behind. I've been more crushed at concerts and festivals where there are no barriers. There's unlikely to be a Hillsborough type incident as you're never going to have hundreds more trying to push into a space in a rush.

I know it's not always possible for a sell-out game, but small children really should be in one of the seated stands - i don't know how they'd see the game, nevermind H&S concerns.