Trip to New York

Started by nrico2006, July 22, 2008, 09:31:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Thinking about heading to New York in November.  Anybody know of decent (& cheapish) places to stay?

Thanks!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

heganboy

QuoteAnybody know of decent (& cheapish) places to stay?
Yes, I do
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

nifan

How cheapish are you looking nrico?

nrico2006

Was really just looking to see what prices anybody on the board has paid for 5 day stays or 1 week stays, haven't a clue of prices etc for NY.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Tony Baloney

Nrico, I've heard you've never been to a city before. Are you sure you don't want to break yourself in by hitting Belfast or Dublin first. If they are too big for you, maybe consider Derry or even Lisburn before heading to somewhere mind-blowing like NYC?

Minder

You have been to NYC before NRico.........wrap up a bit better the next time

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

john mcgill

Try Shades of Green pub http://www.shadesofgreenpub.com/ Its beside Union Square so its central.  They rent rooms and they are supposed to be reasonable.

Fluffy Che

Have a look at the Marrakesh, on Broadway, Upper West Side right beside Central Park. Subway connection right beside it, downtown in about 10 mins.

Stayed there last Oct. and it was sound..cant remember exact prices but was very reasonable for Manhatton.
Midnight to Six..

take_yer_points

We stayed in the Milford Plaza in January - very reasonable and central - only a block from times square.

liihb

Radio city apartments http://www.radiocityapartments.com/ are really good, but hard to get
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

tyssam5

Quote from: take_yer_points on July 22, 2008, 01:16:18 PM
We stayed in the Milford Plaza in January - very reasonable and central - only a block from times square.

In fairness that place is a bit of kip. I stayed there about a year ago, but I didn't care as I was on my own.

take_yer_points

Quote from: tyssam5 on July 22, 2008, 08:51:54 PM
Quote from: take_yer_points on July 22, 2008, 01:16:18 PM

In fairness that place is a bit of kip. I stayed there about a year ago, but I didn't care as I was on my own.

I thought it was 100% for the price ur paying for it. Was over with a few of the lads and we only used it for sleeping in - weren't there too much but more than good enough for what we wanted.

J70

If you're willing to stay in the boroughs or across in somewhere like Jersey City, things should be a good bit cheaper. Manhattan is as expensive as fcuk.

Try some of the cheaper places like the Holiday Inn or the Marriot Courtyard and so on.

mc_grens

The 30 30 Hotel.

30 East 30th Street. Fairly Central. Clean enough. Only weird thing is they have some permanent residents on the upper floors.

We stayed there in March and it was grand. Even my Missus, who likes a wee bit of luxury in her hotels didn't mind. Lets face it, you're in Manhattan all you're going to be doing is sleeping there.

AND there is a class wee diner on the corner of 30th and Lexington (about 2 blocks down), that does a magnificent breakfast. Its called Penelope's.

john mcgill

McGrens did you not find the rooms a bit small in 30 30?  I have stayed there because of the price and the bed took up most of the room. Its also close to Paddy Reilly's bar.  When we stayed there after 9/11 I was impressed with how the attitude of the locals had changed as they all seemed to greet you.  It was only after a few blocks that I realised they were in the sex industry!