Breaking news from the DRA

Started by Kerry Mike, July 21, 2008, 08:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: Kerry Mike on July 29, 2008, 09:08:39 PM
Had a message there a while ago from another horse of a man and he had fecking savage news.

and the very versatile A.N Other may be called up for Kerry on Sunday  ;)

I hope this horse is more reliable than the horse's mouth last time  ;)

Frank Casey

Quote from: Kerry Mike on July 29, 2008, 09:08:39 PM
Had a message there a while ago from another horse of a man and he had fecking savage news.

and the very versatile A.N Other may be called up for Kerry on Sunday  ;)

I hear he's been flying in training. Only took three stitches to sort him out after the last session.
KERRY 3:7

Frank Casey

This following is taken from the DRA statement. Sean Kelly in today's Examiner played alot on the DRA keeping Galvin suspended. As he was sent off for a second yellow, he was not suspended until the CHC confirmed the 24 week ban. This has now been quashed therefore no suspension should remain in force. Sean suggested that keeping Galvin off the field was a way of ensuring that time served would count as part of any new sentence. However he also suggested that the DRA should have given Galvin the option of remaining "suspended" pending the new hearing or resuming playing. If he chose the latter then any new suspension would only commence from the date of the new hearing. This is one sense was immaterial as only a few day elapsed between the DRA decision and tonight's reconvened hearing. I wonder what Frank Murphy would do with this.

Re: Paul Galvin

The DRA Tribunal which sat on the 15 th and 21 st July 2008 had quashed the Decision of the Central Hearings Committee (CHC) made on the 23 rd June 2008 in respect of Mr. Paul Galvin

Whilst Mr. Galvin accepted that an incident happened on the 15 th June 2008 which warranted the commencement of disciplinary proceedings, the DRA Tribunal is of the view that procedural irregularities occurred at the CHC hearing on the 23 rd June 2008 which were in breach of his right to fair procedures and to a fair hearing.

The DRA Tribunal has directed as follows:

(a) that the matter be re-heard by a newly convened and differently constituted CHC as soon as possible; and

(b) that Mr. Galvin remains suspended in the interim period and is not eligible to play Gaelic games until the disciplinary process has been concluded.
KERRY 3:7

mhacadoir

galvins suspension has been cut to 12 weeks

D4S

The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

brokencrossbar1

Galvin to serve three-month ban

The GAA have confirmed that Kerry's Paul Galvin will serve a three-month suspension following a meeting of the reconvened CHC ( Central Hearings Committee) last night.

Galvin had originally been given a six-month ban but the Disputes Resolution Authority ruled that there were 'procedural irregularities' in the decision and ordered a reconstituted CHC to rule on Galvin's case.

In a statement released today the GAA revealed that Galvin is serving penalties under category I (remainder of the game being played), II (fours weeks suspension in the same code and at the same level) and IV (12 weeks suspension at all levels and in all codes).

The suspensions will run concurrently and begins from the date of the incident so Galvin will be free to participate in the GAA All-Ireland SFC final if Kerry progress to that stage of the competition.

orangeman

Quote from: D4S on July 30, 2008, 12:20:30 PM
where you hear this?

RTE WEBSITE

Paul Galvin has had his six month suspension reduced to three months.

The ban is dated for the time of the incident (15 June).

This means Galvin would be eligible for the All-Ireland final in September should Kerry make it.

D4S

See it now on RTE sport website...No doubt this thread will be busy for the next few hours!  3months was probably enough in the 1st instance but the way the whole case has been handled is a joke!  If Dan Gordon doesn't get his red card rescinded tomorrow night the GAA will be laughed at yet again...it's all becoming very tedious now the amount of cases having to be heard because  of inefficeint refereeing and too many bloody hearings...CHC CCC DRA beyond a joke now somebody please sort it out!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

ONeill

Although the process has been called in question and will hopefully be addressed, I've come around to the thought that the punishment was too harsh for the actual crime. 3 months during the crux of the summer is enough.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

AZOffaly

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 24, 2008, 11:38:12 AM
I think it will be 3 months. Video evidence will be introduced, the newly constituted CHC will accept that he was sent off wrongly, and will impose a 3 month ban.

I can't say I'm surprised.

thebandit

At least he isn't back for Sunday

whyarerefssobad

so let me get this right if a player knocks the book out of the refs hand this week end he gets three months
always look on the bright side

AZOffaly

That's the minimum sentence prescribed for interference with an official, I think, so , yes.

SuperDooperCooper

A fair punishment - Galvin loses his chance to captain Kerry but is free to play with his club later in the year.
What he did was stupid but it will hardly lead to a deluge of book knocking from the hand of referees.
It is at the lower end of interference with a ref. Still want to see Russel's report though, he gave Galvin a second yellow then a red.
I would be surprised if this isn't the end of the matter, if this was imposed origionally them I doubt if he would have appealed.

magpie seanie

It took a long time and a lot of committees but eventually the correct suspension has been handed out. 12 weeks is the minimum suspension for a Category IV infraction. I think most people would class his actions as at the lower end of a Category IV infraction so the minimum suspension is correct.

12 weeks is hard at this time of year but you simply cannot mess with referees.