Breaking news from the DRA

Started by Kerry Mike, July 21, 2008, 08:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Square Ball

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

SuperDooperCooper

Has to be a wind up - nothing anywhere.
Mike you had me going there - we do need Galvin.
However I feel he should have a 3 month ban, rules him out of the intercounty scene but leaves him free to play for tge club.
It is 35 all-Irelands by the way......

AZOffaly

I texted the brother in law down in Dromid. He had heard the same thing, but maybe it's from the same source. Kerry Mike wouldn't be a million miles from Dromid. And one thing is for sure, the brother in law didn't get it off the interweb!

Maguire01

Nothing on Radio 1's 11 o'clock news and it had a good bit of GAA coverage.

I always thought the whole argument with Kerry's success over the last few years was the strength of their bench. Surely one player, and not even their best player, cannot then be the difference between winning an AI or not(?)

AZOffaly

I think the loss of two players of the type of Declan O'Sullivan and Paul Galvin would seriously damage Kerry. For all their ball playing talent on the bench, none of the likes of Darren O'Sullivan, Sean O'Sullivan, Donnacha Walsh or Eoin Brosnan, or even Ogie Og would be the type to win the dirty ball like them two lads. Then add in their experience, and Declan O'Sullivan's ability to make ground and offload, and both of their ability to kick a score.

Losing two thirds of your half forward line, and it being the ball winning two thirds is bound to affect even Kerry.

glenullinabu

if true its s huge mistake
if you cant protect refs in big games how does that leave the club ref going into "dangerous" club ground - you know the ones i mean

tyssam5

Quote from: glenullinabu on July 21, 2008, 11:30:26 PM
if true its s huge mistake
if you cant protect refs in big games how does that leave the club ref going into "dangerous" club ground - you know the ones i mean

Which ones? The ones with P. Bradley in them??

blanketattack

I've heard the same off a contact from Finuge. The DRA have no power to change the duration of a suspension, they can either decide to uphold the suspension or quash it, so in this case they felt 6 months was too long and had no choice but to quash it. If they had the power to change suspensions they would definitely have changed it to 3 months.

screenexile

Do they not just send it back to be regraded?

moysider

Would nt be too surprised or upset if this story is true. Thought Galvin deserved 6 months but if he made a case and others thought he was hard done by I ll accept that too.

I dont think we ll see copycat slapping of notebooks around the country or anything. Players will play their normal game and at underage most lads will hardly be aware this happened. They ve more to be doing[ less worthy stuff but ye cant talk to them] and very few teenagers watch gaa on tv. Kerry management now need to look at how this happened because how a team behaves usually reflects as much on the management as their football does.

The Galvin incident needed to be dealt with on its own merits and not as a tv highlighted/ make an example of him case, which would be utterly wrong imo. If the DRA reached a decision to chuck it out then so be it.

Mike Sheehy

Galvin's reprieve

21 July 2008

Kerry's Paul Galvin has been dramatically cleared to play in the rest of Kerrys AI campaign after his six-month suspension was overturned by the Disputes Resolution Authority.

This suspension related to a category four offence and included an 8 week suspension for a category two offence to have run concurrently.

The Finuge clubman picked up the ban after knocking the notebook out of referee Paddy Russell's hand and then verbally challenging a linesman in Kerry's Munster SFC semi-final against Clare.

Following the precedent of the Collie Moran case the DRA sided with the Kerry County Board's argument that the punishment was "excessive". A statement from the Kerry County board read  "The 24-week suspension would have ruled Paul out of inter-county and club activity for hurling and football for the rest of the year. In the circumstances, we find judgement of the DRA is appropriate and, on behalf of Paul and the people of Kerry, we thank the DRA for their fairmindedness.The 3-in-a row is a distinct possibility now"

Paul Galvin was not available for comment.

well, I thought Kerry mike was having us on as well but looks like its true !
Edit: Theres something about it to be announced on Kerry radio ...stay tuned...

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on July 22, 2008, 01:09:59 AM
Galvin's reprieve

21 July 2008

Kerry’s Paul Galvin has been dramatically cleared to play in the rest of Kerrys AI campaign after his six-month suspension was overturned by the Disputes Resolution Authority.

This suspension related to a category four offence and included an 8 week suspension for a category two offence to have run concurrently.

The Finuge clubman picked up the ban after knocking the notebook out of referee Paddy Russell’s hand and then verbally challenging a linesman in Kerry's Munster SFC semi-final against Clare.

Following the precedent of the Collie Moran case the DRA sided with the Kerry County Board's argument that the punishment was "excessive". A statement from the Kerry County board read  "The 24-week suspension would have ruled Paul out of inter-county and club activity for hurling and football for the rest of the year. In the circumstances, we find judgement of the DRA is appropriate and, on behalf of Paul and the people of Kerry, we thank the DRA for their fairmindedness.The 3-in-a row is a distinct possibility now"

Paul Galvin was not available for comment.

The clearest sign yet that this is a wind-up. I know Kerry are confident hoors but would they really say something like this?! In fairness Mike it read like a genuine article up to that!
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Aaron Boone

Is he fit enough to do himself justice on Saturday week?

(Bet that game will be Limerick or Kildare in Killarney  ;)

stephenite

According to the Examiner the decision will not be released until later today

22 July 2008

D-Day for Kerry ace Galvin

By Colm O'Connor
KERRY captain Paul Galvin may discover later today ifhe will play a role in the Kingdom's All-Ireland SFCtitle defence.

Galvin, appeared before the Disputes Resolution Authority last night, in a bid to overturn or reduce a six months suspension incurred following an incident with refereePaddy Russell in the Munster semi-final win over Clare.

The Finuge man, wentbefore the DRA last week for a mammoth seven and a half hours meeting but thehearing was not completed and reconvened last night.

The former All Star will take hope from the DRA's decision to overturn Collie Moran's four-week ban which freed him to play in Dublin's Leinster final victory over Wexford.

Bod Mor

Quote from: stephenite on July 22, 2008, 04:00:31 AM

The Finuge man, wentbefore the DRA last week for a mammoth seven and a half hours meeting but thehearing was not completed and reconvened last night.

What in jesus would they be discussing for 7.5 hours?? Was it discussed over a few pints or something. The whole thing is a joke.
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.