Venues for All-Ireland Quarter Finals (Football)

Started by Galforever, July 21, 2008, 04:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galforever

Are these matches guaranteed to be in Croke Park? Everybody in Galway seems to be assuming that their next match is in Croke Park but when I look at the fixtures for the quarter finals on 10th August, this is what I see:

9th/10th

All Ireland Minor & Senior Football Championship Quarter Finals (4)

Liam McCarthy Promotion/Relegation Play Off (involving Christy Ring Winners)

Christy Ring Promotion/Relegation Play Off (involving Nicky Rackard Winners)

10th

All Ireland Minor & Senior Hurling Championship Semi-Finals (Senior – Leinster v QF)

I would imagine that the all-ireland hurling semi final will be in Croker. As will the Dublin Quarter final (by itself) on the Saturday. But where exactly do the other three games fit in?

heffo

Quote from: Galforever on July 21, 2008, 04:59:03 PM
Are these matches guaranteed to be in Croke Park? Everybody in Galway seems to be assuming that their next match is in Croke Park but when I look at the fixtures for the quarter finals on 10th August, this is what I see:

9th/10th

All Ireland Minor & Senior Football Championship Quarter Finals (4)

Liam McCarthy Promotion/Relegation Play Off (involving Christy Ring Winners)

Christy Ring Promotion/Relegation Play Off (involving Nicky Rackard Winners)

10th

All Ireland Minor & Senior Hurling Championship Semi-Finals (Senior – Leinster v QF)

I would imagine that the all-ireland hurling semi final will be in Croker. As will the Dublin Quarter final (by itself) on the Saturday. But where exactly do the other three games fit in?

Dublin will be stand-alone on the Saturday.

Rossfan

Quote from: heffo on July 21, 2008, 05:11:51 PM
[Dublin will be stand-alone on the Saturday.

They will indeed v Kerry in Thurles  ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tyrone Dreamer

Depending on when the leinster team play in the semi I wouldnt be suprised if there's a double header on the Saturday. Then a double header on the Sunday with the hurling and a football quarter final followed the following Saturday by the Dublin match. However, there was some talk about the quarter finals not all being played in Croke Park.

heffo

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on July 21, 2008, 06:09:13 PM
Depending on when the leinster team play in the semi I wouldnt be suprised if there's a double header on the Saturday. Then a double header on the Sunday with the hurling and a football quarter final followed the following Saturday by the Dublin match. However, there was some talk about the quarter finals not all being played in Croke Park.
[/quote

Zero chance of Dublin qtr final not being in Croke park.

Maguire01

Quote from: heffo on July 21, 2008, 06:25:31 PM

If they were to draw Kerry, it would only be fair that it was moved down the country a bit. Thurles holds 55,000 - you wouldn't get just as many Dubs travelling, and Thurles would probably be big enough. It's better to spread the games out a bit.

AZOffaly

What year did they play in Thurles before? That was a great occasion. Maurice Fitz's sideline point, Dessie Farrell hilariously missing an open goal, etc. etc.

Galforever

QuoteDepending on when the leinster team play in the semi I wouldnt be suprised if there's a double header on the Saturday. Then a double header on the Sunday with the hurling and a football quarter final followed the following Saturday by the Dublin match. However, there was some talk about the quarter finals not all being played in Croke Park.

Dublins match will have to be a stand alone fixture (with a minor match or something) in Croke Park. That will happen regardless because of finacial reasons. But then why doesnt the GAA website state this? If I was a Dublin supporter coming home from abroad for the quarter finals, I would check the gaa website and make arrangements for the weekend of the 10th.

Also, Has a all-ireland football quarter final ever been part of a double bill with the all-ireland hurling semi final? If you have two big attractive pairings here, could be a push for tickets.

Galforever

QuoteWhat year did they play in Thurles before? That was a great occasion. Maurice Fitz's sideline point, Dessie Farrell hilariously missing an open goal, etc. etc.

It was 2001. I rember listening to it driving down to Castlebar to Galway v Roscommon in one of the other quarter finals

QuoteIf they were to draw Kerry, it would only be fair that it was moved down the country a bit. Thurles holds 55,000 - you wouldn't get just as many Dubs travelling, and Thurles would probably be big enough. It's better to spread the games out a bit.

But when you can get 25000 more people @ 25-30 euro a pop, Why would they move it down?

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteWhat year did they play in Thurles before? That was a great occasion. Maurice Fitz's sideline point, Dessie Farrell hilariously missing an open goal, etc. etc.

2001 - first year of the quarter finals and it was the only q/final that year which didn't involve 2 team who'd already played each other that year.

QuoteAlso, Has a all-ireland football quarter final ever been part of a double bill with the all-ireland hurling semi final? If you have two big attractive pairings here, could be a push for tickets.

Pretty sure there has been but can't remember off the top of my head.

If they move a q/final to the 16th, it'll need to involve either Dublin or the Ulster champions as their semi final isn't until the 31st August.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Maguire01

Quote from: Galforever on July 21, 2008, 06:33:08 PM
Also, Has a all-ireland football quarter final ever been part of a double bill with the all-ireland hurling semi final? If you have two big attractive pairings here, could be a push for tickets.
Monaghan v Kerry and Waterford v Limerick last year.

Quote from: Galforever on July 21, 2008, 06:34:45 PM
QuoteIf they were to draw Kerry, it would only be fair that it was moved down the country a bit. Thurles holds 55,000 - you wouldn't get just as many Dubs travelling, and Thurles would probably be big enough. It's better to spread the games out a bit.

But when you can get 25000 more people @ 25-30 euro a pop, Why would they move it down?
Because money shouldn't be the primary concern. If possible and practical, such matches should be at neutral venues. I can't believe i'm fighting Kerry's fight here  :o, but why should they have to drive 5 hours when Dublin fans won't have to travel at all? And why shouldn't the country's other big stadia benefit from some more full houses every now and again?
If Croke Park is neutral and central to the counties involved, then by all means use it. If not, save it for the Leinster Final, and AI Semi-Finals and Finals.

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: heffo on July 21, 2008, 06:25:31 PM
[/quote

Yeah Id say the Dublin match will be in Croke Park. As I said they may work it that all 4 quarters are in Croke Park with the Dubs playing the following Saturday, if not 1 or 2 of the other quarters may be moved else where.

Galforever

QuoteBecause money shouldn't be the primary concern. If possible and practical, such matches should be at neutral venues. I can't believe i'm fighting Kerry's fight here  , but why should they have to drive 5 hours when Dublin fans won't have to travel at all? And why shouldn't the country's other big stadia benefit from some more full houses every now and again?

I understand your point. But it is difficult to ask the GAA to simply relinquish the kind of profit that you are siggesting here.

Galforever

QuoteYeah Id say the Dublin match will be in Croke Park. As I said they may work it that all 4 quarters are in Croke Park with the Dubs playing the following Saturday, if not 1 or 2 of the other quarters may be moved else where.

Yeah, that would seem to be the way to go. dublin by itself, 2 as a double header & one with the hurling. It is of course possible too that Cork will be involved in both the hurling & football at that stage so sticking them together would make sense.

But still, the gaa's website is extremely misleading!!!

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 21, 2008, 06:51:29 PM
Quote from: Galforever on July 21, 2008, 06:33:08 PM
Monaghan v Kerry and Waterford v Limerick last year.

Quote from: Galforever on July 21, 2008, 06:34:45 PM

Because money shouldn't be the primary concern. If possible and practical, such matches should be at neutral venues. I can't believe i'm fighting Kerry's fight here  :o, but why should they have to drive 5 hours when Dublin fans won't have to travel at all? And why shouldn't the country's other big stadia benefit from some more full houses every now and again?
If Croke Park is neutral and central to the counties involved, then by all means use it. If not, save it for the Leinster Final, and AI Semi-Finals and Finals.

So lets stop 25-30k people supporters seeing a match is the way to go then??? Reduce the chances for counties to play in Croke Park also???