Donegal V Monaghan

Started by J70, July 20, 2008, 06:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on July 24, 2008, 08:29:45 AM
I have always wondered about the myth that is Ballybofey.. It always gets referred to as a 'cauldron', 'the lions den' etc. etc. Would anyone like to enlighten me as to why this is? Is is the physical size of the pitch, the proximity of the fans to the players etc.? I mean Omagh or Brewster Park are not the biggest pitched IMHO and don't fall under the same pseudonyms as Ballybofey? Thanks..

I think it has alot to do with Donegals great winning record and also, three sides of the park are normally packed, the only side that would ever be anyway quiet would be the river end - obviously it depends on the match.  ;)
Tbc....

Maguire01

I remember Monaghan beating Donegal there in the mid-90s - one of our rare Championship wins at the time. How good is their Championship record there over the last 10 years or so?

Maguire01

Our line-up announced:

QuoteDonegal v Monaghan 
ALL IRELAND QUALIFYING, SECOND ROUND
Venue: Ballybofey. Date: Saturday, 26 July. Throw-in: 1700 BST
Coverage: Reports: Radio Ulster MW and on the BBC NI website

Paul Finlay returns to the Monaghan starting line-up for Saturday's All-Ireland qualifier second round tie against Donegal at Ballybofey.

Finlay has completed a two-month suspension, as has Gary McQuaid, who must settle for a place on the substitutes' bench.

The Farney county face another tough derby tie after beating Derry 1-13 to 1-12 in the first round last weekend.

Donegal are expected to name their team on Friday afternoon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Donegal: tba.

Monaghan: P McBennett, D Mone, JP Mone, D McArdle, D Freeman, V Corey, D Hughes, E Lennon, P Finlay, D Clerkin, S Gollogly, C McManus, C Hanratty, R Woods, T Freeman.

J70

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 24, 2008, 01:23:14 PM
I remember Monaghan beating Donegal there in the mid-90s - one of our rare Championship wins at the time. How good is their Championship record there over the last 10 years or so?

Since that Monaghan game in 95, I can remember losses at home to Fermanagh in '00 and Derry this year, with draws against Armagh in '99 and Fermanagh in '01. All other home championship games since Armagh in '87 have been won as far as I remember. So that's three defeats over the past 22 seasons (including this one), which is not bad, although we didn't play at home each and every year. I suppose there are a number of counties with similar records though.

J70

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 24, 2008, 10:29:41 PM
Our line-up announced:

QuoteDonegal v Monaghan 

Paul Finlay returns to the Monaghan starting line-up for Saturday's All-Ireland qualifier second round tie against Donegal at Ballybofey.

Finlay has completed a two-month suspension, as has Gary McQuaid, who must settle for a place on the substitutes' bench.

The Farney county face another tough derby tie after beating Derry 1-13 to 1-12 in the first round last weekend.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monaghan: P McBennett, D Mone, JP Mone, D McArdle, D Freeman, V Corey, D Hughes, E Lennon, P Finlay, D Clerkin, S Gollogly, C McManus, C Hanratty, R Woods, T Freeman.

'Tis a strong looking side, especially with McQuaid on the bench.

Not sure who McIver will go with. I suspect you might see Devenney in for Stephen Griffin and Roper, assuming he is fit, in for Rafferty, although he might stick with Rafferty for his height around the middle (although Christy Toye might be fit to start in this role as well). I haven't heard whether Barry Monaghan will be fit or not. If not, Eamon McGee will play centre-back with one of the newer lads coming into the full-back line.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 24, 2008, 10:29:41 PM
Our line-up announced:

QuoteDonegal v Monaghan 

I'd be happy enough with that team. I'm happy to see Vinney out the field a bit more as I feel he has a lot more to offer in driving forward than playing in the FF line. I'd imagine Woods will come out the field to support MF and leave the pair of boys inside. Darren Hughes was slightly out of his depth last week but deserves his place as I feel he has good ability...

Donegal seem to have plenty of options on the bench anyways which is a good position to be in. We've McQuaid and big Benny McKenna if needed, hopefully not!!  :o

bingobus

I'd expect one change to the line up prior to throw, unless Banty is really going to throw a spanner in the works and play the team he names  :o

Woods working at the house this morning and was saying he was playing FF, of course I didn't beleive him. Said he is trying to collect all the Jerseys numbers in the forwards and he is nearly there now. I wouldn't expect him to stay FF for too long, if he even bothers going in that far.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: bingobus on July 25, 2008, 09:17:20 AM
I'd expect one change to the line up prior to throw, unless Banty is really going to throw a spanner in the works and play the team he names  :o 

Did he not start the named team last weekend?? That's silly oul craic to be at anyways I reckon, there's no advantage in it so why bother? On the flip side there's no harm in it either so why not I suppose??  ::)

bingobus

No, Hanratty came in for Benny McKenna and of course this triggered a load of positional swaps which I suppose most teams do.

GrandMasterFlash

Taken from today's Indo:
---------------------------------------

Bet of the week

Home Rule? Do you fancy the four 'home' teams to win tomorrow's All-Ireland football qualifiers?

Ladbrokes are offering odds of 10/1 against home teams Tyrone, Donegal, Limerick and Laois all winning on their own patch.

On the other hand, odds of 36/1 are available on Westmeath, Monaghan, Kildare and Down all winning those matches away from home.

---------------------------------------

36/1, wouldn't be a bad bet would it?? There, I've just jinxed us..

farniel

I'm not usually a betting man but if I was having a bet on the Monaghan game it would def be the draw. 7/1 with Paddy Power looks very tempting.

Oriel Man

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on July 25, 2008, 09:50:54 AM
..............On the other hand, odds of 36/1 are available on Westmeath, Monaghan, Kildare and Down all winning those matches away from home.................
I'd take the 36/1 bet if I could replace Kildare with Limerick!!! Probably would drop to 28/1, but still good odds!!!

sammymaguire

c'mon now lads, this is a gaelic forum not gambling!!

I reckon Donegal, Tyrone, Down & Limerick 8)
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Maguire01

Quote from: farniel on July 25, 2008, 10:34:45 AM
I'm not usually a betting man but if I was having a bet on the Monaghan game it would def be the draw. 7/1 with Paddy Power looks very tempting.
All these games go to extra time if necessary. Is the draw for AET or 70 mins?

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on July 25, 2008, 09:23:15 AM
Quote from: bingobus on July 25, 2008, 09:17:20 AM

Did he not start the named team last weekend?? That's silly oul craic to be at anyways I reckon, there's no advantage in it so why bother? On the flip side there's no harm in it either so why not I suppose??  ::)
I don't think it's a game as such - it's just a formality that is required for press and programmes, with Banty reserving the right to make a fully considered decision closer to the time. We all know pretty much who will and won't make an appearance over the 70 minutes at this stage anyway!

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: sammymaguire on July 25, 2008, 01:44:46 PM

c'mon now lads, this is a gaelic forum not gambling!!

I reckon Donegal, Tyrone, Down & Limerick 8)

C'mon now Sammy, get back onto your Fermanagh thread that you seem to be managing so well...