Tyrone v Westmeath

Started by Fuzzman, July 20, 2008, 06:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Is it really, Fear? To us perhaps because they're household names in Tyrone. But, apart from a fit Mugsy, who's going to come on and perhaps change the pattern of a game?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Yes ONeill, and I know there are a few who won't change the pattern as individuals, but surely there are more than a handful of the subs who could justifiably claim a starting place if they were at the top of their respective games? And we're not all about individual efforts.

Put it another way, how many counties have a stronger reserve 17?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Tyrones own

Sure it's a strong reserve 17 Fear but they're only as good as the calls being made (in a timely manner)
to draft them if any of the starting 15 are struggling.. :-\
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

ONeill

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 25, 2008, 12:57:31 AM
Yes ONeill, and I know there are a few who won't change the pattern as individuals, but surely there are more than a handful of the subs who could justifiably claim a starting place if they were at the top of their respective games? And we're not all about individual efforts.

To change the pattern of a game is not about individual effort. It's bringing something to the table that offers Harte an alternative tactic.

Ok, ignore the goalies. Carlin (17) - yes he can offer a running game from HB if one of the three is underpar. I've seen nothing from 18-20, 24, 25, 30, 31 that excites me or offers something different to what we have in abundance. 21 and 26 could possibly curb someone who's giving our defence a runaround. 22, 23 and 27 ....well possibly an extra presence around the middle if we're losing clean ball. Mulgrew - an alternative to Tommy.

It's more than likely that as an attacking force we might need options. Mugsy (unfit apparently or would be starting), Mulgrew (prober), Gormley (any better than McCullagh/Penrose?), O'Neill (?), Colm Cavanagh (still waiting) are our options.

AN other

Flanagan, Buddah and David Glennon in for Westmeath. Just speculating, but I'd imagine the two Bannon's and Simon Quinn are the three to loose out. I wouldn't be expecting much more than 35 minutes  from Flanagan, if Duffy could give us another 35 we should do okay in the middle if both play well. They haven't played in a good few weeks now though, I'd expect some rustiness and lack of match sharpness/fitness. Based on last weeks performance I'd expect to see Gary Dolan in midfield at some stage. I'd like to think we could call on Wilson too. G Dolan, Wilson, Duffy and the two Bannon's have plenty of game time and should be able to make a contribution if called on.
I think David Glennon deserves his chance although it is a bit of a baptism of fire, would be great to see him grab the chance with both arms though, I think he has the ability. Expect to see alot more laying off of the ball from Dennis, with the brother alongside him! It looks as though Dolan will be out around half forward again, don't strictly agree with this, but he makes one hell of a contribution around there.
If Buddah isn't playing well 15-20 minutes in, Tomás needs to pull him, simple as...and if he's anywhere near the full forward line at any stage Tomás should be shot!

Croí na hÉireann

Flanagan back for Westmeath
25 July 2008

Martin Flanagan makes a dramatic return to the Westmeath team for Saturday's All-Ireland football qualifier against Tyrone in Omagh.

A late cameo role against Dublin apart, the Tyrrellspass clubman has been sidelined since injuring his knee in the Leinster SFC quarter-final win over Offaly early last month. He sat out last Saturday's qualifier win over Tipperary, but has been restored to the engine room in place of Paul Bannon for the televised showdown at Healy Park.

Westmeath manager Tomas O Flatharta has made also made two alterations to his attack which see David Glennon and Alan Mangan coming in for Dermot Bannon and Simon Quinn. Dessie Dolan switches from the right corner to the right wing, while injuries ruled David Duffy and Fergal Wilson out of consideration for starting places.

Westmeath (SFC v Tyrone): G. Connaughton; F. Boyle, K. Gavin, J. Keane; M. Ennis, D. Heavin, D. Healy; D. O'Donoghue, M. Flanagan; D. Dolan, J. Smyth, D. Harte; David Glennon, Denis Glennon, A. Mangan.

Surprised to see Flan back starting so soon, you'd wonder what the thinking behind that is considering he didn't play at all last week, hopefully he's lost none of his edge but it's a big ask. 1-8 picked themselves and thankfully Harte has recovered from last week, again lets hope he's fit. Disappointed but not surprised that Willo and Duffy haven't made it, hopefully there's some game time in them both as they could be needed to push us over the line. Big call to start David Glennon as well as hasn't had much game time this year, will tomorrow be the day he finally puts in a performance in a Westmeath jersey??? Want to see Budda playing further out the field than Dessie as we need Dessie right in front of the inside forwards, big pressure on Budda to deliver...

Gavin has another huge ask ahead of him tomorrow, Cavanagh (if he stays in there) will have the height over him so he'll have to break any high balls that come in and make absolutely certain that Cavanagh doesn't round him if he gets the ball. Tyrone have a very strong bench so no matter if a big name goes off we'll still have to redouble our efforts. Backs have been playing well but would expect to see a little bit more from Heals and Boyle as they've been quieter than usual the last couple of games.

An Iarmhí Abú
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Fuzzman

Does anyone else think we haven't been hitting enough ball into Sean at FF

Teams haven't been double marking him as yet but I think we could see a sweeper in front of him on Saturday as Westmeath will try to strangle the game I think.
Or will they change their tactics as we are now expecting that.

Last week in the 1st 20 mins there was loads of stray passes hit aimlessly into the corners and over the end line
Surely we could play like we did in the 1st 20 mins in Omagh v Down where we target Sean with good high ball with McCullagh running onto him and maybe Penrose behind him

Yeah our main forwards on the bench are Mugsy, Colm Cav & Mulgrew who in fairness would all very close to starting anyway

Ye are all saying Tommy is better in HF line but how would he fair in FF line alongside Sean and a fully fit Mugsy

How would this Forward line look

Mellon
McGinley
Dooher
Brian
Mulgrew/Colm
Mugsy
Sean
Tommy

To me that would be my strongest 8-15 with maybe even Joey to play at 8 if Mellon wasn't cutting it but he is at the minute

I hope to God Mickey stops being so loyal to Hub as he's got so many chances now and hasn't really shone once in my eyes

Hereiam

Will it be possible to watch this game in Liverpool. Is anywhere showing it.

Maroon Heaven

Good to see Flano back. Hope he has a fine game at Midfeild. Type of player who performs well on the big stage.

Wilson will be a Big loss.

Over the Bar

QuoteWill it be possible to watch this game in Liverpool. Is anywhere showing it.

Any pub with Sky will have TV3

Maroon Heaven

Fecking Crazy that I will not get to see match in Belfast.

No TV3, Setanta not showing it from their listing.

Just have to listen to the best of them on the Radio

Maroon Heaven

Sons 4th birthday party or I would be down in the Bot

Fear ón Srath Bán

Not surprised that Flanagan has been named in the starting line-up for Westmeath, but will be mildly surprised if he actually starts. Seems more like a rallying cry to the faithful at this juncture - can't see how he'd possibly be fit enough to start a match at this stage of the up-and-at-'em.

ONeill

6am this morning. Woke in a cold sweat. Westmeath 2-5 Tyrone 0-4 with 3 mins left. Ricey had just been sent off.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on July 25, 2008, 10:36:14 PM
6am this morning. Woke in a cold sweat. Westmeath 2-5 Tyrone 0-4 with 3 mins left. Ricey had just been sent off.

The Lakers are too afraid to acknowledge such a possibility, and we're too afraid to even contemplate it.

If it's the sort of game that Ricey's going to walk in, I'd expect it to be much sooner, and that would be a bad state of affairs for ourselves, in that if it had actually degenerated into such a dogfight. Don't expect it, but do expect it to be a tight affair. Westmeath were brutal against Tipp last week -- didn't score until the 21st minute; they know if that's repeated tomorrow it's game (and Championship) over for them.