Tyrone v Westmeath

Started by Fuzzman, July 20, 2008, 06:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

feetofflames

Jordans been our best half back to date to be fair, to be honest I didnt have the balls to drop Conor and Ive always wondered about Justin at 6, Lets face it its all about Davy.   
Chief Wiggum

Fuzzman

Yeah I thought Jordan was poor enough in most games this year to be honest compared to his usual high standard

He was getting caught in possession a lot in Newry as both him and Davy try to run THRU men and hope to win their free.
Westmeath have become great at the blanket defence and so I'd like to see longer balls cleared out of defense rather than running it out like the past

Teams now know it worth their while fouling back there to slow down the momentum and thus frustrate our forwards.

I fear Westmeath's workrate will surpass ours this Sat and so we might find it hard to break free to get good ball into FF line.

I'd like to see Carlin get a run out again as he brings a lot of energy to attacks. What would he be like at 15 where he tracks back to sweep ip midfield possession

Tyrone Dreamer

Carlin is good getting forward but the problem is that when he gets there he has a habbit of wasting possession and cant shoot. Still wouldnt complain too much if he was half back, wouldnt want to see him at 15 though.

Red Sea

Lads.. get off the horse here.. this game is pointless, a joke everyone know both these teams would make it past the quarter finals. Tyrone are a spent force wit years and Westmeath will never win anything so maybe we should just call off the game eh boys!! ;D

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Red Sea on July 24, 2008, 05:20:26 PM
Lads.. get off the horse here.. this game is pointless, a joke everyone know both these teams would make it past the quarter finals. Tyrone are a spent force wit years and Westmeath will never win anything so maybe we should just call off the game eh boys!! ;D

Have you just fallen off the Hoganstand message board Red Sea? A little adult input from yourself would not go unappreciated.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fear ón Srath Bán

orangeman

Tyrone manager Mickey Harte has named an unchanged team for Saturday's All-Ireland SFC qualifier against Westmeath at Healy Park (1500 BST).

Harte has an injury-free squad and gives a vote of confidence to the starting fifteen who featured in last weekend's 1-18 to 1-10 win over Louth.

Sean Cavanagh's spell at full forward continues, with Ryan Mellon once again partnering Enda McGinley at midfield.

The McGuigan brothers, Brian and Tommy, are named in the half forward line.

The Tyrone boss was pleased to report a clean bill of health.

"It's a privileged position we haven't been in for a long time," said Harte.

"But Westmeath put a lot of men behind the ball and it's going to be tough. That's the problem we have to solve."

The Tyrone manager is the first to acknowledged that the home venue is a major plus for the Red Hands.

"It's definitely a distinct advantage. You don't have to travel big distances and you don't have an overnight anywhere.

"It's also your own ground and you should know it better than your opponents," added the Tyrone manager.

Harte is totally unconcerned by any suggestion that the Saturday afternoon throw-in could lead to a lack of atmosphere in Omagh.

"We're not concerned about crowd control or crowd atmosphere although maybe we can generate a bit of atmosphere for those who are there.

"It's going to be all about our focus and how up are players are for the game.

"Westmeath lost against Dublin by a couple of points in the Leinster semi-final.

"They put up a huge effort into Leinster this year and they are a formidable side. It's certainly a step up in quality from our last qualifier."

Harte will also be mindful that Westmeath claimed a big win on their last foray into Ulster in April when they defeated Monaghan to pip the Farney man for promotion to Division 1 of the National League.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tyrone: J Devine, R McMenamin, J McMahon, PJ Quinn, D Harte, C Gormley, P Jordan, R Mellon, E McGinley, B Dooher, B McGuigan, T McGuigan, M Penrose, S Cavanagh, C McCullagh.

Fear ón Srath Bán

What are the Lakers' changes is now the question, if we're to have any at all from the last runs out. Wouldn't be surprised for either or both of Duffy or/and Flanagan were to play a part on Saturday for them.

ONeill

Twas interesting to read Canavan's column in the Mirror this week. He hints at a little bit of frustration at our reluctance to hit Sean early with good ball and the tendency to take too much out of the ball, running into defences that are much more adept at dealing with Tyrone's running game.

Westmeath will gobble the likes of Davy Harte and Jordan up if they persist with this. Scores will be at a premium.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

If we're competing at all in midfield and delivering to the FF line*, then Seán Cav is an asset, otherwise he's a humungous waste. And for a team that has traditionally struggled there, we're certainly sailing a bit close.

* Particularly aerially.

Mike Sheehy

Quote"They put up a huge effort into Leinster this year and they are a formidable side. It's certainly a step up in quality from our last qualifier."

::) ::) not very diplomatic toward Louth is he....

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Kerry Mike on July 24, 2008, 08:46:42 PM
Mike from Kerry, though not to be confused with that Sheehy fellow.

You're serious Mike!... Well then, I'm not going to reply at all to you again then!  ;)

never kickt a ball

Tyrone Team v Westmeath Named
24 Jul 2008

GAA All Ireland Football Qualifiers Rd 2
Tyrone Senior Football Team v Westmeath

1. John Devine   Aireagal Chiaráin
2. Ryan McMenamin   An Droim Mhór
3. Justin McMahon   An Omaigh
4. P J Quinn   Baile na Móna
5. Davy Harte   Aireagal Chiaráin
6. Conor Gormley   An Charraig Mhór
7. Philip Jordan   An Mhaigh
8. Ryan Mellon   An Mhaigh
9. Enda McGinley   Aireagal Chiaráin
10. Brian Dooher   Clann na nGael
11. Brian McGuigan   Ard Bó
12. Tommy McGuigan   Ard Bó
13. Martin Penrose   Achadh Uí Aráin
14. Sean Cavanagh   An Mhaigh
15. Colm McCullagh   An Droim Mhór

16. Pascal McConnell  An Baile Nua
17. Dermot Carlin   Coill an Chlochair
18. Colm Cavanagh   An Mhaigh
19. Peter Donnelly   Oilean a'Ghuail
20. Niall Gormley   Trí Leac
21. Ciarán Gourley   An Charraig
22. Colin Holmes   Na Clairsigh
23. Kevin Hughes   Cill Íseal
24. Cathal McCarron   An Droim Mhór
25. Damian McCaul   Domhnach Mór
26. Michael McGee   Loch Mhic Ruairí
27. Joseph McMahon   An Omaigh
28. Raymond Mulgrew   An Chorra Chriochach
29. Owen Mulligan   An Chorra Chríochach
30. Shaun O'Neill   An Droim Mhór
31. Paul Quinn   Aireagal Chiaráin
32. Jonathan Curran   Oilean a'Ghuail

Fear ón Srath Bán

That's a strong panel, very strong.