Laois v Down

Started by Down Gael, July 20, 2008, 06:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnpower

It was a stupid reaction from Dan Gordon the ref had come over to speak to them He should have just walked away just a rush of blood but as we all know these get punished these days ,The Down no 12 deserves praise for keeping Benny Coulter from getting him self sent off . It was as I said a great game and a clean game

downgirl

johnpower, do you think he was right getting a straight red then?? 

bcarrier

Clancy should be the one suspended if no contact made (as most commentators who have seen video evidence have said).

The Marc  O Se case provides a precedent for rescinding the red card . Whether it will happen in time now for next weekend has to be a doubt. Down will not advance without Gordon .

bridgegael

big dan was stupid for what he did, there may have no contact but there was intent. as for the match itself the Downs direct football worked wonders in the first half,  full forward line was cleaning up again.  brutal decision for the disallowed goal for down.  second half and when laios got the goal quickly folled by the sending it was a case of whether Down could hold out. they did well to hang on.  was impressede with turley when he came on, played well last week too.   any word on monk??

"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: thechampishere on July 26, 2008, 09:42:10 PM
As far as i'm aware, the draw will give the team coming out first home advantage next weekend! Sounded like a great game tonight, hard luck on Laois after going in some nine points down, they almost pulled it off, and they may just have done it but it sounded like there were some very poor wides from the Laois boys. It also seemed like the ref spoilt the game somewhat with his constant stopping of the game!

Congrats go to Down and all the best for the rest of the Championship

i dont think this is possible as there is 2 seperate bowls - qualifiers in one and beaten provincial finalists in the other - so you cant have a first out situation. i heard recently , might have been the Sunday Game, that qualifiers get home advantage. not 100% sure though
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

johnpower

Quote from: bcarrier on July 26, 2008, 11:59:20 PM
Clancy should be the one suspended if no contact made (as most commentators who have seen video evidence have said).

The Marc  O Se case provides a precedent for rescinding the red card . Whether it will happen in time now for next weekend has to be a doubt. Down will not advance without Gordon .

Dont get carried away .In fairness to the ref he asked them to stop and Dan kept at it .it could have been an yellow ? this maybe the case for an appeal . As regards P Clancy the other party to these incidents is irrelevant in the eyes of the GAA

pintsofguinness

I can't believe how bad laois are when Down beat them!  :-\
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

johnpower

Quote from: downgirl on July 26, 2008, 11:45:37 PM
johnpower, do you think he was right getting a straight red then?? 

In my view he gave the ref no chance ,if he had pushed or hopped off him with a shoulder then a yellow . I just think it was a rush of blood  but the way football is going just like the Westmeath guy earlier on you get wound up  and react the othe guys hits the  ground and you get the red . I hate it . I hope he gets off but he needs to cop on .

southdown

Just home, happy with a win by god we could have lost it, it really was a game of 2 havles.

Down were awesome in the 1st half, Coulter and Clarke put on a master class, worked 2 fantastic goals.  3 different Laois men tried and failed to mark Benny in the first half, with the highly rated Joe Higgins being switched off him after 8 minutes.  Aiden Carr was the link man, his balls into the FF line were perefect.  Martin Cole was a bit of a concern, before his bad injury he looked very suspect at full back, Turley repalced him and was very good.

The second half was different, Loais were fired up and done damage long before the sending off.  Dan's sending off was harsh.  Clancey got Dan sent off, simple as, I was literally yards from it, he went down like a big pussy.  I could not believe Ross Carr's comments after game saying deserved to go.

But despite the Laois pressure Down showed a bit of compusure near the end to hold on.  Best for Down were Clarke and Coulter, Carr, Turley and Howard.  Was very impressed with their number 11, McCormick I think he was called.  Can anyone on this board really make an arguement for Jack Lynch's inclusion on that team? 

I look forward to the next round but if Dan is suspended I woud not be optimistic. 

Down Gael

Dan deserved to be sent off, he gave the ref no choice. Clancy wound Dan up and although there was minimal contact, if any, he had to go. The referee was brutal, there was no real physical stuff in the game, but he was giving unnecessary frees and showing yellow cards for challenges that would have been let go in an U12 game. Ronan Murtagh was booked for a fair challenge  ???
The sending off changed the game. Down were lording it at midfield up until then, but lets give credit to this Down team, they fought for every ball and defended quite well, though the keeper should never have been beaten by what was really a tame shot. The loss of Martin Cole was also a big blow and I doubt he will be available for next weeks game, he looked to be in a lot of pain.
You couldnt really criticise any of the Down team tonight, everyone of them played well. We won midfield quite comfortably until the sending off, the forwards were excellent in the first half, though seemed to lose their shooting boots in the second and the defence did ok. As a Laois man said to me after the game, we have the makings of a great team. I think tonights game is as far as this team will go this year, injuries and the loss of Dan through suspension will severly hamper us, but we would have taken this at the start of the year. We are heading in the right direction for the first time in years.

Pintsofguiness, I doubt you were at the match tonight, yet you see to comment on a game that you know nothing about. In fact I dont believe you attend Armagh games much either, yet you think your opinion is wanted on this thread. You are a sad little man, with no life outside the internet. Grow up. Your comments are meant to antagonise, but nothing will be done about you again as you like a few others on this board seem to be above and beyond the rules. One of the "protected".

pintsofguinness

Pintsofguiness, I doubt you were at the match tonight, yet you see to comment on a game that you know nothing about. In fact I dont believe you attend Armagh games much either, yet you think your opinion is wanted on this thread. You are a sad little man, with no life outside the internet. Grow up. Your comments are meant to antagonise, but nothing will be done about you again as you like a few others on this board seem to be above and beyond the rules. One of the "protected".

A change in username I see.  :D
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

bridgegael

big jack wasn't in it at all when he came on,  i thought he was going to be taken off again.  i wouldn't mind seeind the gordon/nancy incident on tv to ee what is was really like. jesus the heart was in the mouth at the very end for the one on one, i thought we were out.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Down Gael

He should have scored that, but it would have only levelled the game and if the game had gone to extra time Dan would have been back on the field.
That Laois No. 15 is a hell of a player.

interested

Dan got a red and wouldn't have been on for extra-time.If it was 2 yellows maybe yes.We would have
been back to 15 men but not Dan.ackie is not up to it.If Dan is missing--Rooney would be an option alongside
Ambrose.

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteDan got a red and wouldn't have been on for extra-time.If it was 2 yellows maybe yes.We would have
been back to 15 men but not Dan.ackie is not up to it.If Dan is missing--Rooney would be an option alongside
Ambrose.

Don't think Dan Gordon would have been allowed back on for extra time even if he had gotten 2 yellows. Bit of an anomoly in the rules as its the only situation in which you're "suspended" for 2 yellows. Heard from somebody at the match that Clancy definetly cheated to get him sent off.

Down one win away from their first All Ireland quarter final which would mean Cavan and Antrim would be the only Ulster teams not to have reached an AI q/final.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead