Non Ards

Started by Galforever, July 20, 2008, 05:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galforever

Who exactly are these guys?

Where are they based?

Square Ball

as it says on the tin, the Non Ards.

they would be from all the other clubs in Down, Laitriom, Balella, Shamrocks, Kilclief, Bredagh.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Farrandeelin

Why was there a need for them? I mean could they not make the 'proper' Down hurling team?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

orangeman

I don't understand it either - this is some sort of piss take!

blasmere

Do you really have a clue any of you? especially you orangeman who seems to comment on every thread and should know your hurling.

Their correct name up until yesterday was South Down. The Ards hurling clubs play in the Antrim league and are pretty much separate from the rest of Down (geographically and class wise)
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree

orangeman

But why put in a separate team ? Is it just to gibve the non Ards team hurling ?

blasmere

Quote from: orangeman on July 20, 2008, 06:14:21 PM
But why put in a separate team ? Is it just to gibve the non Ards team hurling ?

It's to encourage hurling in that part of the county (South Down), they are quite disparate to the Ards clubs, not in their commitment to Down as a county I might add

The state that hurling is in throughout the country I think it is important to do anything to bring it on in these primarily football areas

Galforever

QuoteDo you really have a clue any of you?

No, Which is why I asked the question. I never heard of these guys until a few weeks back.

And I am afraid that I'm not exactly up tp speed on hurling clubs around Antrim and Down!

blasmere

Quote from: Galforever on July 20, 2008, 06:24:51 PM
QuoteDo you really have a clue any of you?

No, Which is why I asked the question. I never heard of these guys until a few weeks back.

And I am afraid that I'm not exactly up tp speed on hurling clubs around Antrim and Down!

Sorry, that was more meant at Orangeman and any other Northern posters

milltown row

i would imagine like the Fingal team that has been playing in the divison 4 leagues, fair play, anybody out there to encourage hurling is doing a wonderfull, if not appreciated, job.

downgirl

Why did they change their name to non Ards anyway?

highking

The South Down (Non-Ards) team stems from the fact that the three main exclusive hurling clubs in Down are on the Ards peninsula (Ballycran, Ballygalget & Portaferry). There are other dual clubs on the mainland, but none of their hurlers never get a look into the main Down team due to travel/standard ect. In the early 2000's, the now defunct All-Ireland Junior hurling competition used to have the non-ards Down county team to represent them, to give the mainland hurlers a chance to wear the county jersey. With the abolishion of the Junior Championship in 2003, the mainland players havent got a look in so therefore the Down County Board allowed them into the Rackard Cup this year.

I think its a good idea and think thers a few more areas of the country which could be represented in the Ring Rackard Cups.

In Galway, there is very little represantation on the hurling panel from the North and West of the county. Clubs like Moycullen, Spiddal, Ml Brethnachs, Sylane and Annaghdown rarely get represented, but have players plenty good enough to compete at Rackard level.

What would Galway people think of that idea?

Galforever

QuoteClubs like Moycullen, Spiddal, Ml Brethnachs, Sylane and Annaghdown rarely get represented, but have players plenty good enough to compete at Rackard level.

I didnt even know that Moycullen, Spiddal or Breathnachs had hurling teams! Standard is extremely poor in clubs like Annaghdown, not sure their best players would be uop to it @ county level.

johnneycool

Quote from: downgirl on July 20, 2008, 08:18:05 PM
Why did they change their name to non Ards anyway?

I really don't know but the Bredagh lads are further north than the Ards clubs, so south Down maybe seemed to inappropriate to some guru in officialdom.

Also there are two lads from clubs outside the Ards on the full down team and probably a few others up to the task if they'd commit.

highking

Quote from: Galforever on July 22, 2008, 10:07:59 AM
QuoteClubs like Moycullen, Spiddal, Ml Brethnachs, Sylane and Annaghdown rarely get represented, but have players plenty good enough to compete at Rackard level.

I didnt even know that Moycullen, Spiddal or Breathnachs had hurling teams! Standard is extremely poor in clubs like Annaghdown, not sure their best players would be uop to it @ county level.

Galforever - Football would be the dominant sport in all them areas, but they compete ok at Intermediate/JuniorA in Galway. I know their player standard wouldnt be up to the Galway Senior level, but what Im saying is that they would put a nice team together for the Rackard Cup.

Im tipping Fingal/North Dublin to win it this year. Improving with each game and plenty of players to call upon.