New Meath Manager

Started by Hardy, July 20, 2008, 01:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Yeah, Brady is trainer. Dont know what role Sean Kelly is stepping into. Its all rumours at the minute.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

thejuice

A rumour no longer:

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=120511

QuoteKelly is Royals' new trainer

17 November 2009

Former Navan O'Mahony's manager Sean Kelly has been appointed as the Meath senior football team's new trainer in succession to Colm Brady.

Former All-Ireland winner Brady has been forced to step down because of work commitments after just one year in the role. The Simonstown Gaels clubman, who runs a successful business in Mullingar, was widely praised for his role in helping the Royals to a shock All-Ireland semi-final appearance this year.

Kelly, who is also an ex-county player, guided Navan O'Mahony's to the Meath SFC title last year and was a candidate himself to replace Colm Coyle as manager last year. He will now act as trainer for Eamonn O'Brien in 2010.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

DuffleKing

Quote from: Louth Exile on November 17, 2009, 10:19:12 AM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 17, 2009, 10:11:11 AM
Quote from: thejuice on November 17, 2009, 09:49:35 AM
Rumour mill churning:

Sean Kelly has retired from Navan O'Mahoney's and has joined the Meath management team. I don't know if it means Donal Curtis, Robbie O'Malley or Colm Brady have stepped down.
is Brady a selector?
I thought he was just the trainer?
Could easily add Kelly to that without any problems imo.

I think Brady is just involved in the training, pity we didn't get Kelly for the Louth job  :(

You did have him...

lynchbhoy

dont think Colm will be out of training for too long...

JMohan

Doesn't seem like a step forward? Or am I misreading that appointment?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: JMohan on November 18, 2009, 01:17:06 PM
not necessarily, Colm Brady will be a loss to the training and fitness, but Kelly was more of a teacher and ball player than colm whose game was basedlargely on his fantastic athleticism and wouldnt have been a maurice fitz...Kelly (or drugsy as we called him in school - earing us a good hiding in the process as he was a couple of years ahead of us) was a damn fine footballer- prob too clean for meath despite being from dundrrrrrry

JMohan

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 18, 2009, 04:29:02 PM
Quote from: JMohan on November 18, 2009, 01:17:06 PM
not necessarily, Colm Brady will be a loss to the training and fitness, but Kelly was more of a teacher and ball player than colm whose game was basedlargely on his fantastic athleticism and wouldnt have been a maurice fitz...Kelly (or drugsy as we called him in school - earing us a good hiding in the process as he was a couple of years ahead of us) was a damn fine footballer- prob too clean for meath despite being from dundrrrrrry
Brady had a good rep - but I think Meaths problems extend beyond changing the trainer?

thejuice

New Meath Minor manager is former Kildare player Davy Dalton. Hope he continues with the reasonable success we had with Pat Coyle. There's enough talent in the county at minor level anyway.

Liam Harnan has taken over as U-16 manager.

thejuice

We are due another stand off between the county board who want MOD to stay on for another 2 years and the clubs who aren't as keen on the idea. I've no idea if there are other likely candidates but it goes to a vote on August 10th. I'm not that keen on changing mod without a credible replacement and if he stays a few more years I don't see any harm although I won't expect any success bar a possible promotion to div 1.

Hound

Quote from: thejuice on July 26, 2015, 04:58:07 PM
We are due another stand off between the county board who want MOD to stay on for another 2 years and the clubs who aren't as keen on the idea. I've no idea if there are other likely candidates but it goes to a vote on August 10th. I'm not that keen on changing mod without a credible replacement and if he stays a few more years I don't see any harm although I won't expect any success bar a possible promotion to div 1.
you should've beat Westmeath, you could've beat Tyrone.

I think bad luck was more to the fore than bad management. MOD will get better and I'd fancy Meath to get promotoed out of Div2 in 2016. The aim should be to build to challenge the Dubs in 2017 and to take a non-Leinster scalp in 2016.
I think you'd be taking one step back if you took on another manager

Hardy

I think that's all pretty much correct, Hound.

I don't know if we can get competitive in the current environment, where the availability, allocation and regulation of the allocation of resources is something of a Klondyke and where the game is descending into a more and more unwatchable mix of basketball, rugby league and cross-country running. But the point is that there's no reason to think that anyone else could make a better fist of it than the current management, perhaps aided by an injection of some tactical brains. And, just maybe, Mick's football philosophy will win out and spark a restoration of the soul of football.

rrhf

In the meantime, just relax and take it easy...

Syferus

Meath's tactics against us this year were the demonic crossbreed of Donegal's numbers back and Kildare's wide machines of a few years back. I wouldn't have thought of O'Dowd as having a football philosophy. Unless that philosophy was to whine about refs and complain about non-existent officiating conspiracies.

I don't buy that Meath could do no better for a manager, but like ourselves your reputation to outsiders is as a fickle county and will make some quailified people shy away from the job.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Hound on July 26, 2015, 09:17:37 PM
Quote from: thejuice on July 26, 2015, 04:58:07 PM
you should've beat Westmeath, you could've beat Tyrone.

I think bad luck was more to the fore than bad management. MOD will get better and I'd fancy Meath to get promotoed out of Div2 in 2016. The aim should be to build to challenge the Dubs in 2017 and to take a non-Leinster scalp in 2016.
I think you'd be taking one step back if you took on another manager
I think most will fancy Galway and Tyrone to be the sides promoted out of division two in 2016.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on July 27, 2015, 09:40:24 PM
Meath's tactics against us this year were the demonic crossbreed of Donegal's numbers back and Kildare's wide machines of a few years back. I wouldn't have thought of O'Dowd as having a football philosophy. Unless that philosophy was to whine about refs and complain about non-existent officiating conspiracies.

I don't buy that Meath could do no better for a manager, but like ourselves your reputation to outsiders is as a fickle county and will make some quailified people shy away from the job.

Not at all. I d love the Mead job but not senile enough to go near Ros. Mead assimilated our (I mean Mayo now) more creative and artistic western genes, as well as the native durability and rawness of our peasant, and we made them a proper football county until the celtic tiger made them soft. Generations of hardship conditioning and the savy/creativity that results undone in the blink of an eye.