New Meath Manager

Started by Hardy, July 20, 2008, 01:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMohan

I thought there were 10 names mentioned, but the main ones were Kelly and O'Brien

stephenite

Tommy Carr in the frame - if todays Indo are to be trusted

thebandit

Quote from: orangeman on September 08, 2008, 04:57:13 PM
O'Rourke will never take the job - why would he ?

Things are much too handy for him at the minute and I can't see them changing in the foreseeable future.

I cant see him doing it in the next few years while the son is only starting out.

Hardy

Quote from: stephenite on September 09, 2008, 07:58:57 AM
Tommy Carr in the frame - if todays Indo are to be trusted

Christ Almighty!

Hardy

It seems like a non-story really. It's only reporting that he's applied for it. There's nothing to stop even me applying for it. I can't imagine the Co. Board would contemplate an outside appointment (not least because I don't think they'll pay anyone and I'm not aware of anyone willing to put up money independently unless Menolly are thinking along those lines, but I hope not). And certainly not a Dub.

This can only be pure kite-flying:

"On his own he would be unlikely to swing enough support in Meath, but Carr is understood to have the backing of high-profile members of the 1987/'88 All-Ireland winning teams who may be willing to shore up his candidacy by serving as selectors. This would be a significant aid to his challenge for the position.

Bernard Flynn is among Carr's closest friends -- they both live in Mullingar -- and may have been influential in steering the former Dublin and Roscommon manager in Meath's direction.
"

"Both live in Mullingar". Well that clinches it then!

Jinxy

I thought Carr was after the Cavan job?
Surely we should set our sights a little higher than a man who would willingly manage them boys. ;) ;D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hardy

Ah be fair now Jinxy. He does have Roscommon on his CV. I remember he had an unbeaten run with them. Two games, I think.

Declan

QuoteI'm not aware of anyone willing to put up money independently unless Menolly are thinking along those lines,

From what I hear they won't be putting up any money for anything other than present commitments

Hardy

screenexile

From hoganstand.ie

Carr fancied for Breffni job
Tommy Carr
08 September 2008

Former Dublin and Roscommon manager Tommy Carr is looking the most likely candidate to take over the reins as Cavan senior manager.

Rumours within the Breffni County last week suggested that Carr had become the latest front-runner to succeed Donal Keogan in the job, and with the County Board's interviewing process now complete that speculation has grown this week.

The other candidates include former Fermanagh boss Dominic Corrigan along with locals Stephen King, Terry Hyland and Tony Brady. Ex-Antrim boss Jody Gormley had been also considered as a favourite at one stage, but recently ruled himself out of the running.

thejuice

I'd rather Cavan get him, there was also talk of Luke Dempsey going for an interview this week. I think its just a slow news week. It'll probably be Eamon O'Brien
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

JMohan

Tommy Carr in Meath?

Will never happen .... Eamonn Barry has a better chance of managing again.

It's shocking to even think that he'd consider it or that Meath would even consider him - surely as one poster said Meaths ambitions are higher than that?

As for the financial aspect ... money talks, and money for a manager should be considered IMO if they are good enough and 'need' it.

Pangurban

Joe Brolly could be a strong contender, the fact that he is also a lawyer would be of benefit to Meath, given some of their players predilection for GBH

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

The Stand Side

Any word from match in Navan tonight?