Football Quarter finals

Started by coosanglen, July 16, 2008, 12:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coosanglen

Just wondering if someone can confirm if the draw for the quarter-finals is open draw or preordained. can teams meet at this tage that met already in the provincial championship

his holiness nb

Open draw as far as I know, provincial winners versus back door qualifiers. Doesnt matter if you already played the opponent at this stage. I think.
Ask me holy bollix

AZOffaly

I don't think the Provincial winners can play a team they defeated in the Provincial Final. If Kerry and Mayo win their only qualifier game, I don't think they'll be playing Cork and Galway respectively.

Barney

AZ, I think they can this year.

Also, expect at least two to be played outside Croker.

They are in the diary for 9/10 August. Hurling on the Sunday. So assuming Dublin win Leinster they will play on Saturday with another down the country. There will be a double-bill of hurling and football on the Sunday, or alternatively the Dubs will be moved to 16th.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Barney on July 16, 2008, 02:37:42 PM
AZ, I think they can this year.

Also, expect at least two to be played outside Croker.

They are in the diary for 9/10 August. Hurling on the Sunday. So assuming Dublin win Leinster they will play on Saturday with another down the country. There will be a double-bill of hurling and football on the Sunday, or alternatively the Dubs will be moved to 16th.

So if Kerry win through, Cork could play them two games running, in different stages of the championship? That's mad. (But I'm not doubting you).

TacadoirArdMhacha

So if Kerry win through, Cork could play them two games running, in different stages of the championship? That's mad. (But I'm not doubting you).

I don't think that can happen. In 2001, the only stipulation in the draw was that a provincial champions couldn't play a team they beaten in the provincial final in the AI q/final. That was the year that the provincial champions were all drawn against teams they'd beaten earlier in the province (except Kerry) so they brought in the rule which meant you couldn't be drawn against any team you'd already played from 02 on.

I missed this years qualifier draw. Were teams allowed to play against a team they'd already played? (eg Down v Tyrone). If not, I think we're back to the 2001 situation.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

AZOffaly

This years draw was entirely open for the first round anyway. I just thought that the provincial winners would be spared from playing the team they beat in the provincial final in their next game. That seems silly to me (That that might happen).

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteThis years draw was entirely open for the first round anyway. I just thought that the provincial winners would be spared from playing the team they beat in the provincial final in their next game. That seems silly to me (That that might happen).

Fairly sure that is the case Az
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Barney

Lads you should know at this stage the more nonsencial something appears in the GAA the more likely it is to be true

Mike Sheehy

QuoteSo if Kerry win through, Cork could play them two games running, in different stages of the championship? That's mad. (But I'm not doubting you).

Its mad alright but with the back door its inevitable that teams from the same province will play each other again in the AI series. If it is to happen I think its better have same-province pairings happen earlier than later. I think everybody agrees having teams from different provinces playing each other in the semis or the final is better.

meathie

so are all the qualifer draws open now then? for example if Meath beat Limerick on sat and the next team too and Wexord lose on Sunday could we draw them in the 3rd round??

western exile

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on July 16, 2008, 04:10:44 PM

I don't think that can happen. In 2001, the only stipulation in the draw was that a provincial champions couldn't play a team they beaten in the provincial final in the AI q/final. That was the year that the provincial champions were all drawn against teams they'd beaten earlier in the province (except Kerry) so they brought in the rule which meant you couldn't be drawn against any team you'd already played from 02 on.

I missed this years qualifier draw. Were teams allowed to play against a team they'd already played? (eg Down v Tyrone). If not, I think we're back to the 2001 situation.
That was true up until 2007 when it could no longer be practical as the Division 4 teams were in the Tommy Murphy cup instead of the Sam Maguaire qualifer draw. So now all rounds 1,2 and 3 of the qualifiers are open draw.

western exile

From 2007 and 2008, the draw will take place with the provincial winners in one bowl and the third round qualifier winners in the other.
The draw is open with one exception - teams that met in the provincial final cannot face each other again in the quarter-final.
However, teams that met earlier in the provincial championship can be paired together again.

So Cork cannot meet Kerry in the quarter final (if Kerry win their round 3 game),  but can meet in the semi or final.  Likewise Mayo and Galway,  Armagh and Fermanagh, Dublin and Wexford.

2009 will be different again, i expect, as 33 counties will be allowed in the qualifiers again   ::)