Tom Humphries on Donal Óg

Started by Ash Smoker, July 14, 2008, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Yeah, but it can be perceived as a two-fingers to the GAA as well. I'll do what I like. That's dangerous territory.

Again, I'll ask, why don't they just train, play and bring the balls which are approved. It's strange loyalty to a Cork (I presume) company.

If you play any sport in the world, you must play with approved equipment. If you train and practise with un-approved equipment, you can't bring it on to the course/field/track/court and expect to be allowed play with it.

It's just odd that they are making such an issue over it. Train with bloody approved balls :D

Reillers

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 21, 2008, 02:21:16 PM
Yeah, but it can be perceived as a two-fingers to the GAA as well. I'll do what I like. That's dangerous territory.

Again, I'll ask, why don't they just train, play and bring the balls which are approved. It's strange loyalty to a Cork (I presume) company.

If you play any sport in the world, you must play with approved equipment. If you train and practise with un-approved equipment, you can't bring it on to the course/field/track/court and expect to be allowed play with it.

It's just odd that they are making such an issue over it. Train with bloody approved balls :D

This is Cork we're talking about.

Glensman

Are you actually for real Reillers or are you on the wind up.

"Because he is the most obsessive, meticulous player." "This is Cork we're talking about"
What the f**K?
So Dwayne Chambers obsessively, meticulously took steroids. Good man Dwayne away and run the Olympics?
You are talking bullsh1t (again I cloak this with the fact I am not sure if you're on the wind up as I've never come across you before).
The GAA has not authorised the sliothars whether they fly 3750 yards or whether they are exactly as standard O'Neills balls therefore they are illegal.
I could train all winter, day and night with a metal hurling stick...does that give me the right to use it. NO.

He should be punished.

And now to read Humphries article with a cup of tea.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Reillers on July 21, 2008, 12:00:52 PM
They're not smaller. That's bull there is feck all difference between them, they're the slightest bit heavier but that's it. Teams use them all the time. Cummins sliotars meet the regulations of Croke Park. They're used in matches and training all the time. Like I said even the ref threw one in in the Munster final and nothing was said.
To repeat the point.
Cummins sliotars aren't illegal!
They can and are used in matches.
The point is that Cusack is introducing his own batch of sliotars that haven't been quality checked or approved.

The question is why go to such trouble to do so?
Cork were fined the last day against Tipp, yet they went they pulled the same caper again on Saturday.
If they bogus sliotars are exactly the same as the approved Cummins ones, then why go to such lengths to introduce them?

AZOffaly

If I recall correctly BnM man, there are a few approved sliothars, and Cummins is one of them. O'Neill's is another. However, each 'competition' designates the ball or balls of choice for that competition, and it's supposed to be them balls only that are used.

Leinster uses the O'Neill's ball, as does Ulster. Munster uses Cummins, and maybe O'Neill's as well. However, for the AIQs or the All Ireland series itself, the Central Council, which is the body with responsibility for the All IRelands, as opposed to the Ulster, Leinster and Munster councils which control their own championships, has decided that the O'Neill's ball only is to be used for all Qualifiers, the quarters, semis and AI final itself.

So i don't think it's quite the case that they can used a mish-mash of different balls. Remember the one I picked up was an O'Neills :D

hurl4ever

who cares...if a cummings ball is good enough for club matches all over ireland they shouls be good enough for county matches. during the national league, referees are happy for goalkeepers to bring a bag of balls down to there goals because he or the umpires dont supply any,so he doesnt care what type of ball they use, so what the hell is the problem now. the fact is the gaa are being picky and want more money from fines that are giving out for SOME of these stupid rules.

Uladh

The GAA are protecting their interests in terms of the "exclusivity" payments the receive from manufacturers to use particular brands. essentially its the same argument as the Lucozade sport / club energise shenannigens

Red Sea

He's d best keeper in the country and absolutely dedicated to his county that has to be appreciated no matter where you are from.. and i'm neutral.. alot a jealousy around, galway lads i suspect!

Rossfan

Quote from: Red Sea on July 23, 2008, 04:49:25 PM
He's d best keeper in the country and absolutely dedicated to his county that has to be appreciated no matter where you are from.. and i'm neutral.. alot a jealousy around, galway lads i suspect!

Three letters - G P A  ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GalwayBayBoy

Yes Galway lads like AZ Offaly, Bord na Mona man or Uladh and Glensman. ::)

Tatler Jack

Quote from: Reillers on July 21, 2008, 01:32:45 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on July 21, 2008, 01:14:53 PM
Lads. Who cares? You're debating the wrong thing. What's important is that he has been told not to use them, that they are NOT the ball of choice, and he continues to do so.

Why?

Because he is the most obsessive, meticulous player.

Must be something in the air around Cloyne that breeds those great players but awkward contrary b*****ds. Christy Ring was also from there.

sligeach

Best keeper in the country ? Not a chance your a neutral.

EddieMerx

Best keeper in the country, I'd have to disagree on that one - I'd have Fitzhenry and Cummins ahead of him

sligeach

Quote from: EddieMerx on July 24, 2008, 08:53:45 AM
Best keeper in the country, I'd have to disagree on that one - I'd have Fitzhenry and Cummins ahead of him

Its obvious red sea is a corkman.

hurl4ever

dedicated, passionate man who would do anything for the red jersey, cork people and for the rest of his fellow cork players. has brought the art of goalkeeping to a different level with his total dedication to the position and when goalkeepers around ireland travel down to him for goalkeeping sessions, it says somthing about the man. graham clarke the down and ulster keeper travels down to him a couple of times a year. i am from ulster, no cork bias, and feel that he is the best keeper in ireland, yes he doesnt make the spectacular saves that cummins and fitzhenry make, but he is completly dependent in every department of the art of goalkeeping, james mcgarry was another, never flash just totally dependent and trustworthy at the back. flashy saves may win you all stars but all irelands. cusack 3, mcgarry- 5.......cummings and fitzhenry 1 each.