Padraig Harrington The Open Championship winner 2008

Started by The Real Laoislad, July 14, 2008, 02:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Yeah - what the world needs is more pigeon holes.

man in black

Quote from: Hardy on July 15, 2008, 09:25:10 AM
Yeah - what the world needs is more pigeon holes.

Well you can park your ass in the one marked WB
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black

Hardy

And you can park yours in the one marked "Mindless Slogans'R'Us".

AZOffaly

Hardy, I'm with you on this one, but I think it's just a consequence of all the British television that is now available to us. When I was in school, which was after you I'd say, we got the BBC and UTV for the first time with a big aerial out the back of our neighbourhood. That was early - mid 80s I'd say. I think it's since then that 'The Open' and 'The Grand National' entered the vernacular for us.

The FA Cup was always the FA cup, but I suppose we never had an FA Cup here. The FAI Cup and the FA Cup are their full names in anycase. As regards the Golf and the Gee Gees, I remember well the 'British' Open, the 'English' Grand National (Or the Aintree Grand National), the English Derby etc etc. But to the British they are The Open, The Grand National and The Derby. Because we're watching their TV, it has creeped in here.

As for 'the mainland', the only people I have heard using that, ever, are Northern Unionists with whom I have worked. I've always pointed out to them that we are on the mainland, as far as I'm concerned. It's turned into a joke between us now. I have never, honestly, heard any person from the Republic, or any Nationalist from Northern Ireland, refer to Britain as 'the mainland'. I'd be shocked.

Hardy

I think you're spot on AZ about the influence of mass media.

As regards 'the mainland', as I said in my previous post, you're right - I haven't heard it used in the broad nationalist community. But it was a revelation to me when we discussed it here before, that it didn't bother many nationalists. That's evidence of creeping acceptance. The power of the media is almost absolute at this stage. And you know what they say about absolute power.

[Added] As well as among Northern unionists, "the mainland" is common mow in the mainstream British media and I'm sure I've seen it in the Irish media as well, in the usage "mainland UK".

ONeill

Jaysus I must start calling the Fleadh the Irish Fleadh because the German Fleadh heads might get annoyed that Irishisms are creeping into their lingo.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

AZOffaly

I've seen Mainland UK used alright, but I take that as in NOT including Northern Ireland. The reference to mainland is vis a vís their relationship with Northern Ireland, not with Ireland.

As for the thread here, I must have missed that, but I'm amazed whoever used that term wasn't kicked up and down the street like a Leinster U21 Cup in Portlaoise :D

AZOffaly

Quote from: ONeill on July 15, 2008, 09:48:12 AM
Jaysus I must start calling the Fleadh the Irish Fleadh because the German Fleadh heads might get annoyed that Irishisms are creeping into their lingo.

Do you live in Germany? If not, there'd be no reason to call the Fleadh the Irish Fleadh.

Hardy

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 15, 2008, 09:49:33 AM
I've seen Mainland UK used alright, but I take that as in NOT including Northern Ireland. The reference to mainland is vis a vís their relationship with Northern Ireland, not with Ireland.

Exactly, but it's another step ...

QuoteAs for the thread here, I must have missed that, but I'm amazed whoever used that term wasn't kicked up and down the street like a Leinster U21 Cup in Portlaoise :D

I'll see if I can dig it up. I've tried the 'search' function here before and it's a bit flaky, but we'll see.

AZOffaly

I found it.

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=1886.0

I even posted in it myself :D You have a better memory than me.

man in black

Lads, the grand national is the grand national, end of f**king story. Its not a 2 bit 3mile 5 steeplechase around fairyhouse.
Lose the chips ffs.

man in black

Quote from: Hardy on July 15, 2008, 09:35:54 AM
And you can park yours in the one marked "Mindless Slogans'R'Us".

Hardy, what are you on? You defend the OWC brigade to the hilt in your McDowellesque world and now you want to burn the brits to hell for calling the Open "the open", Fearon has you right.
jesus wept.

Hardy

I'm bored now.

I searched and couldn't find that thread AZ. Good man.

ONeill

Lads you're 40 years behind the times. In the 50s and 60s, media influence on the great unwashed was prolific. We, in the developed world, are as media savvy at present as could be with the freedom of online information and with a full understanding of propaganda and the power of the media. There are 4 majors. The Masters (I don't call it the US Masters) The US Open, The Open Championship and the USPGA. The US love the sound of their own country whereas the British don't seem to care with this example and this coming from a country that espouses Britishness at every opportunity.

To complain about the use of 'The Open' is rather unusual - a bit like Dev and the Oath!
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hardy

Well there you are. My point is proven. The media have won and how could it be any different? They have even made you believe that you did it yourself!