Padraig Harrington The Open Championship winner 2008

Started by The Real Laoislad, July 14, 2008, 02:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Looking forward to this,Wide open "Open" this year with no Tiger Woods around
I have my doubts about Harrington and i don't think Mcdowell will win two weeks in a row though the form he's in right now he might be a good each way bet..
Im going to go for Sergio Garcia as i did in the TPC at Sawgrass..He was very close to winning last year and i think this could be his year
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Evil Genius

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 14, 2008, 02:57:50 PM
Im going to go for Sergio Garcia as i did in the TPC at Sawgrass..He was very close to winning last year and i think this could be his year
He seems to have the talent to win it - esp in the absence of Woods - but if anyone pushes him close like PH did last year, he'll choke.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Rossie11

The Americans have won 10 of the last 13 yet PP only have 3 in the top 18 in the betting!!
Would prefer backing one of them at big ew prices than one of the local heroes.
Think sergio is very skinny at 9 or 10s.

Hardy

I'm confused.The Open took place in Adare back in May. The British Open seems to be the one you're talking about here.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Evil Genius on July 14, 2008, 05:05:25 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 14, 2008, 02:57:50 PM
He seems to have the talent to win it - esp in the absence of Woods - but if anyone pushes him close like PH did last year, he'll choke.

Yeah but i think when he  didn't choke when he won the TPC in Sawgrass,that it was a turning point in his career especially as he won it in a playoff
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ONeill

Quote from: Hardy on July 14, 2008, 05:19:46 PM
I'm confused.The Open took place in Adare back in May. The British Open seems to be the one you're talking about here.

The majors are the four most prestigious annual tournaments in professional golf: The Masters, The US Open, The Open Championship and The PGA Championship.

Easy enough Hardy. I suppose you also refuse to call the Masters the Masters because of the Irish Masters.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hardy

It used to be The US Masters, The US Open, The British Open and The USPGA Championship. Believe me. I'm older than you. Feckin British schooling, British media and red post boxes have brainwashed you so-called nationalists up there into unquestioning acceptance of the subtle language of empire. I suppose you say "The Open" takes place on "The Mainland" as well.

Aaron Boone

It took place in Portrush in 1951. The organisers would like to go back there but having a good golf course is only half the story nowadays - transport links, infrastructure, hospitality, health & safety all come into play.

ONeill

Quote from: Hardy on July 14, 2008, 09:44:29 PM
It used to be The US Masters, The US Open, The British Open and The USPGA Championship. Believe me. I'm older than you. Feckin British schooling, British media and red post boxes have brainwashed you so-called nationalists up there into unquestioning acceptance of the subtle language of empire. I suppose you say "The Open" takes place on "The Mainland" as well.

Hardy, it's the closest Open to us, hence calling it 'The Open'. My local school is called 'the school' by locals and not its full name. You'll find it's called The Open in many parts of Europe.

I detest this childish approach some have in our country of deriding others by implying their usage of language makes them 'un-Irish'.

SCENTOFSAM

Spain win the Euros, Nadal wins Wimbledon. My money is on Garcia with an each way bet on Jimenez

ONeill

Hardy

How is it the closest Open to us? The Open in Adare was the closest Open to me. And I'm not questioning your Irishness. Just the easy acceptance of British linguistic imperialism that has crept in in the course of my lifetime. The concept of Great Britain as "The Mainland" in relation to Ireland  was introduced in my youth (I remember it well) and derided for a decade or two, but now it passes without comment, never mind protest. Likewise, as I said, the reason the usage "The Open" is remarkable to me is because I remember when it was "The British Open" and noticed the gradual drift from that usage.

We'll be asked to consider ourselves part of Blighty one of these days.

ONeill

The British Grand Prix
The British Masters in snooker
The British Film Institute
The British Touring Car season
The British 200m Backstroke
The British Solo Ice Dance Championship

They wouldn't be known by anything else by anyone including the British. However, historical institutions such as the FA Cup, the Grand National and The Open have connotations of greatness around the world simply because of the prestige/prize fund/world class/history/competitors and those titles are used by most for simply convenience reasons such is the quantity of usage. To have a problem with that is odd.

As for mainland, I've never heard anyone say that from the nationalist community except in jest. I suppose you still refer to Meath in its ancient form?

Hardy

Quote from: ONeill on July 15, 2008, 12:20:27 AM
historical institutions such as the FA Cup, the Grand National and The Open ... those titles are used by most for simply convenience reasons such is the quantity of usage.

You are correct that this is probably the general usage now. I have merely been pointing out that this is a relatively recent development. I assure you that until fairly recent times Irish people invariably referred to the British Open, the English Grand National, the Epsom or English Derby, rather than The Derby and so on. Many still do. Ted Walsh would be a good example.

My thesis is that until recently we were consciously differentiating ourselves and refusing to accept the kind of casual labelling of Irish people as effectively British that the British establishment and media have always indulged in. Just as we didn't (and still don't, for now anyway) acquiesce in their calling our country "Éire", when they don't likewise refer to Deutschland and Espana.

I think it's just that we used to be more aware of these things and our language reflected that and it simply wouldn't have occurred to an Irish person to call the British Open "The Open". I suppose it's not surprising that force of usage in an age of much more pervasive media influence across borders has seen the British usage overwhelming the local one and becoming accepted here. It's not a big deal, but it does rankle with someone who remembers when it was different. You may be right that that is odd.

QuoteAs for mainland, I've never heard anyone say that from the nationalist community except in jest.

Neither have I. But neither do I hear anyone complain anymore when others do it. We had a debate about it here before when many presumably nationalist contributors said it didn't bother them at all. That amazed me when I remembered the disbelief it aroused here at the arrogance of those who would use it, when it started to creep in. I remember John Bowman interrupting some Tory MP in a radio interview to point out to him that nobody in Ireland considered Britain a mainland and to inform him that such usage was offensive.

It's a small step from acceptance to participation and I predict we'll be doing it within a generation.

QuoteI suppose you still refer to Meath in its ancient form?

I wish I could. It used to be nice to be able to say "All-Ireland Champions, Meath".

man in black

Hardy,
Is there something in the water this week, you are usually the most West Brit ballix on the board.?
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black