The most victimised and discriminated against specie in the GAA...

Started by Uladh, July 13, 2008, 04:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uladh

The defender.

one coming together with an opponent and its a black book. any sort of physical or mistimed challenge and its the yellow card. both meticulously applied without exception by these guys masquerading as referees.

All the while, forwards and midfielders can persitently pull jersies, rugby tackle, push in the back and generally break up or stop play with a foul several times before the ref bothers with the black card.

none of this covers the conor mortimer type diving which is aimed soley at accumulating bookings, whileis own off the ball fouling goes unpunished.

Hardy

Agreed Uladh. And spot on about Mortimer too. Coldrick was fooled twice by him today, once giving a yellow card to the Galway corner back for being fouled himself by Mortimer executing the most obvious example you'll ever see of grabbing the tackler's arm and pulling him down. And the amount of diving by forwards who go to ground now without even waiting to feel the hand on them being indulged by referees is ridiculous. With all the edicts being given to referees why can't we have one to eliminate this shite from the game?

Armamike

Mortimer was at it today and the ref fell for it. It's got to the stage where any foul by the back results in some sort of ticking or booking.
That's just, like your opinion man.

crossfire

ONeill

It seems to be a 'red zone' appliance of the rules. If a player is within scoring range, the severity of the punishment is wrongfully raised. Forwards can get it tough too when it coming to any attempt at a tackle. Wasn't an Armagh forward sent off for a mistimed tackle against Down, the sort of collision for which a full back like Francie might get a lesser penalty. Stephen O'Neill stands out against Armagh in 05 for simply shouldering a player over the sideline.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

saffron sam2

Quote from: ONeill on July 13, 2008, 07:26:46 PM
It seems to be a 'red zone' appliance of the rules. If a player is within scoring range, the severity of the punishment is wrongfully raised. Forwards can get it tough too when it coming to any attempt at a tackle. Wasn't an Armagh forward sent off for a mistimed tackle against Down, the sort of collision for which a full back like Francie might get a lesser penalty. Stephen O'Neill stands out against Armagh in 05 for simply shouldering a player over the sideline.

In fairness, if the Armagh man still had the ball in his possession (as opposed to releasing it three seconds earlier), then yes a yellow card would have been harsh.

Martin O'Rourke deserved his too.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Tyrone Dreamer

Just while we're talking about O'Neill and 2005 just wanted to raise a point. A few (not all) Armagh fans have given Stephen O'Neill a very hard time about that late tackle on Toal in 05 even though it was an obvious attempt at a block. Considering the abuse they have handed out I must say I was shocked when I watched a rerun of the 05 ulster final replay and saw at least 2 late hits on O'Neill after he kicked the ball which were probably worse than the tackle he committed. Toals injury was unfortunate but down to bad luck more than anything else.

saffron sam2

Yes, I would agree with that. Always felt it was a genuine attempt at a block.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

jodyb

While I, like probably every other person outside of Dublin, am looking forward to and praying for a Wexford victory in the leinster final, i have to say that no forward in my memory gets away with more off the ball dirt than the bould M forde. (is that slanderous? I dunno).