All Stars Selection System

Started by belleaqua, July 11, 2008, 09:00:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

belleaqua

I know there has been debate on related threads before but having read Martin Breheney's latest attempt to fill column inches with his mid-summer all-stars it got me thinking.

Would GAA followers welcome an All Star squad rather than a team especially with the qualifier system and a host of worthy candidates.It was easier pick fifteen when it was simple knockout stuff. Would a panel of 25 be a fairer system? It would resemble the squads picked at major soccer tournaments, seems to make more sense to me. Just take the candidates for midfield last year in football, a bit harsh only selecting two from at least five worthy candidates.

Any views?

Hardy

Maybe we should just give every player in the Championship a certificate for taking part.

Uladh

You could make a case for an extra member for each line on the team to make up a squad of 20. i suppose this is done to an extent within the "all star replacements", but thoase are frequently who you know selections.

The GPA team is a much more credible award at this stage anyway?

magpie seanie

QuoteMaybe we should just give every player in the Championship a certificate for taking part.

And a tin of coke and a packet of tayto.

upthehoops

wud be careful with the coke given the various spot checks being done now. Couple of spliffs maybe!!!

belleaqua

Quote from: Uladh on July 11, 2008, 10:47:03 AM

You could make a case for an extra member for each line on the team to make up a squad of 20. i suppose this is done to an extent within the "all star replacements", but thoase are frequently who you know selections.

Ya thats true, more merit in that selection but the All Stars themselves are still viewed as the big ones to get. It would make sense to reward at least five more players each year. I dont see the harm in it. Its hardly devaluing the All Stars worth, the selectors are well capable of doing that themselves.

bigpaul

Quote from: Uladh on July 11, 2008, 10:47:03 AM

Would that not make 21?

I think there is merit in the idea of selecting a squad. The present system weighs heavily in favour of the half-back line and especially the full-forwards. There has been no consideration given in selection to the changed roll that half-forwards play in the modern game.Selecting a squad would give more room for recognition of players who are asked to play an unconventional roll(e.g. Tony Mc Entee in 2003).

Aaron Boone

Provincial winners are no longer guaranteed All-Stars which is a big change - will Cork have any football All-Stars this year, will Kerry again have 7 or 8?

Historically, the system is a good baromter for comparisons to previous great players, but nowadays the team will only be picked after the middle of August.  It's a phoney war beforehand.

time ticking away

Quote from: Take Your Points on July 12, 2008, 11:10:16 PM
Quote from: Hardy on July 11, 2008, 09:58:59 AM
Maybe we should just give every player in the Championship a certificate for taking part.

Would it sponsored or just signed by Nicky Brennan?

Who would check that the right players were getting the certificate?

Would it be easy to duplicate the certificate?  We might all be able to make our own with MS Publisher or the like?

Who would pay for the certificate?

TYP what are you talking about
canavan is the man canavan is the man ee aye adi ooh.......