Sports books

Started by corn02, July 10, 2008, 02:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Quote from: 5 Sams on October 22, 2013, 10:14:38 PM
Lookin forward to Liam Hayes on Heffo. Like the look of Dunphy's book. Won't bother my hole with Fergie's as all the best bits were in the papers today!

Having said that there's a PDF of Fergie's book floating about. Might have a nosey!!!

The Aristocrat Years

Dinny Breen

Quote from: thewingedlady on October 22, 2013, 10:17:32 PM
Just bought Friday Night Lights on Amazon - I get the feeling I should have bought and read this years ago. The reviews are unreal.

Very good book.

Never a fan of tennis but read Agassi's autobiography Open, top read as well. You gain some respect for tennis players in particular the physical punishment they put themselves through.
#newbridgeornowhere

ONeill

Read Fergie's book and it reminded me of the Fr Ted Golden Cleric speech. He mentions people only to have a go at them. And now.....liars!
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

muppet

Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 30, 2013, 07:34:20 AM
Quote from: thewingedlady on October 22, 2013, 10:17:32 PM
Just bought Friday Night Lights on Amazon - I get the feeling I should have bought and read this years ago. The reviews are unreal.

Very good book.

Never a fan of tennis but read Agassi's autobiography Open, top read as well. You gain some respect for tennis players in particular the physical punishment they put themselves through.

Just read it after putting on the Kindle months ago.

Great book.
MWWSI 2017

JimStynes

Mickey Linden

Has john daly got an autobiography? It's bound to be worth a read

5 Sams

Quote from: Mickey Linden on August 03, 2014, 07:50:35 PM
Has john daly got an autobiography? It's bound to be worth a read
Yep. It's called "All my exes wear Rolexes." Brilliant read. Man's a header.
The Aristocrat Years

muppet

What is the current fad about ghost-writers whinging about their (usually voluntary) extracurricular activity?

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/the-game-of-sports-ghostwriting-1.1983951

There seems to be a lot of this these days.

Hunter Davies published the authorised biography of the Beatles in 1968 and the football classic, The Glory Game. He's also ghosted a few football books, including Gazza. When word broke in March 2006 that 20-year-old Wayne Rooney was getting £5 million to write five volumes of his autobiography he scoffed at the news.

"I thought," he says, "how stupid – a lad of that age? At 20, nobody was ghosting Shakespeare's autobiography. Nobody was doing Mozart's at 15. So I wrote this piss-taking piece for the New Statesman, and on the Monday I got a call from HarperCollins to say, 'Would you be interested in ghosting Wayne's autobiography?' I said, 'Brilliant. What a great idea. Long overdue – should have been done years before.'"
MWWSI 2017

Walter Cronc

blewuporstuffed

Reading 'Bounce' at the minute and really enjoying it.
Interesting stuff
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

thewingedlady

Bounce started brilliantly - some cool experiments with interesting findings - however I thought it went on a bit. Took three hundred pages to say what could have been said in a hundred maybe.

Nothing to see it all in Keane's book. Doesn't break the mould of your typical banal football autobiography at all and he's left a lot out, most notably his relationship with Delaney and the FAI before he decided to go back.

Seven Deadly Sins by David Walsh is fantastic, best sports book I've read in a while. In the same category Tyler Hamilton's The Secret Race is very good.

I can't remember the last time I read a truly brilliant GAA Book - The Club and Donal Og's book were good but nothing spectacular. To my mind you have to go back to 2003 and Road to Croker by Eamonn Sweeney for a really enjoyable GAA read.

seafoid

Quote from: thewingedlady on November 03, 2014, 02:12:25 PM
Bounce started brilliantly - some cool experiments with interesting findings - however I thought it went on a bit. Took three hundred pages to say what could have been said in a hundred maybe.

Nothing to see it all in Keane's book. Doesn't break the mould of your typical banal football autobiography at all and he's left a lot out, most notably his relationship with Delaney and the FAI before he decided to go back.

Seven Deadly Sins by David Walsh is fantastic, best sports book I've read in a while. In the same category Tyler Hamilton's The Secret Race is very good.

I can't remember the last time I read a truly brilliant GAA Book - The Club and Donal Og's book were good but nothing spectacular. To my mind you have to go back to 2003 and Road to Croker by Eamonn Sweeney for a really enjoyable GAA read.
I thought Michael Duignan's book was very good , not just from the GAA aspect.

The Godfather of Modern Hurling – the Fr Tommy Maher story by Enda McEvoy (Ballpoint Press, €14.99) is another one worth reading if you are into hurling

5 Sams

Humphries stuff was excellent...pity we wont hear from him anytime soon.
The Aristocrat Years

mrdeeds

Anyone read Alan McLoughlin's book? Hearing good reports and big shout for sports book of year.

muppet

Quote from: 5 Sams on November 03, 2014, 02:34:14 PM
Humphries stuff was excellent...pity we wont hear from him anytime soon.

Agree, loved his writing. Mad stuff that.
MWWSI 2017