Modern day unionist politics/prinicples at its best...?

Started by An Fear Rua, July 09, 2008, 11:42:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fear Rua

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/foyle_and_west/7497157.stm

Sabbath row erupts over festival

Some unionist councillors in Limavady have threatened to block a proposed music festival because they don't want rock music or alcohol on a Sunday.

The Stendhal festival is due to take place in August at the Ballymully Cottage Estate near Drumsurn.

But it may have to be cancelled if an entertainments licence is not granted at a council meeting on Thursday.

United Unionist councillor Boyd Douglas said the festival was inappropriate "on the Sabbath day".

"I don't think there's anyone opposed to the festival itself.

"The argument is that this is a new rock festival which is taking place on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and there are a lot of decent law-abiding people who still respect the Sabbath day and that shall not be overcome by those who don't.

"This is a quiet rural area, it's not an open space where a lot of people can gather and congregate, and this will affect people," he said.

'200 endorsements'

But Sinn Fein councillor Paddy Butcher said the festival would go ahead.

"The days of lock up the swings on the Sabbath are gone, outdated, and draconian.

"There have been nine objections but over 200 endorsements.

"This is going to bring a revenue stream into the borough of £1.2m.

"The council has cleared all the criteria, the PSNI has approved it, the fire service have approved it.

"It is not in our gift to reject this application," he said.
Its Grim up North

nifan

Quote, and there are a lot of decent law-abiding people who still respect the Sabbath day and that shall not be overcome by those who don't.

Is he implying that those who like to go to concerts on a sunday are not decent and law abiding?

Evil Genius

Quote from: nifan on July 09, 2008, 11:54:02 AM
Quote, and there are a lot of decent law-abiding people who still respect the Sabbath day and that shall not be overcome by those who don't.

Is he implying that those who like to go to concerts on a sunday are not decent and law abiding?

Not exactly. But he possibly didn't want to say outright that such people are all actually misguided heathen sinners, who will roast in Hell forevermore, but by imposing such a ban, he's actually thinking of their best interests, by saving them from such a fate. Quite considerate of him, really... ;)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

ziggysego

What happens next year when the 12th falls on a Sunday? Will the 12th be cancelled? ;)
Testing Accessibility

Chrisowc

Moved to a Monday Ziggy.  Well, the 12th isn't moved but the parades are.

I don't think his opposition to the festival is to do with his Unionism more to do with the particular cult/imaginery friend he has alligned himself to.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Zapatista

Quote from: ziggysego on July 09, 2008, 12:29:52 PM
What happens next year when the 12th falls on a Sunday? Will the 12th be cancelled? ;)

Don't be silly, Sunday will be canceled;)

T Fearon

This also raises the question of silly unionist/loyalist Christian names like Boyd ???

What is the silliest christian name of a unionist you know? I know one guy whose Christian Name is Goodlet, I kid you not :o

The Watcher Pat

There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Chrisowc

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Chrisowc

his holiness nb

I used to deal with a guy in the North called Meredith  :o

Would that tend to be a name from one side or the other, or just plain gay?
Ask me holy bollix

Maguire01

Quote from: his holiness nb on July 09, 2008, 01:15:45 PM
I used to deal with a guy in the North called Meredith  :o

Would that tend to be a name from one side or the other, or just plain gay?
Yes, the female side, i'd imagine!

Down Gael

I know an Elmer. Imagine growing up with a name like that. Know a few Winstons as well. NI must be the only part of the western world were white people are still called Winston. Come to think of it Winston has a brother named Clifford, this could go on all day.

his holiness nb

Ah Clifford, wasnt he the dragon that used Listerine?
Ask me holy bollix