GAA runs my life!!

Started by meathie, July 09, 2008, 10:48:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

meathie

After just posting on the Meath v Limerick thread I realised how much GAA runs my life, esp from May to September. every Sunday is taken with games which I cannot miss and then trying to organise a holiday around games is immmpossible! esp when we go into the qualifiers. for example I was all set to go away from the 2nd to the 9th August, (have to take that week off in work) until Meath hit the quaifiers. now I wasnt that stupid to book as you never know with the GAA but I had said that was the date we'd go and now I dont have a clue!! If Meath win on 19th we've the next game on the 26th and if we win that then we may be playing on the 2nd 3rd or even 4th August. If we win that then we could be playing on the 9th or 10th, its just so hard to know! my holiday could be 9 days long or 6 days!! of course we could get beaten on the 19th and none of this will matter. anyone else have problems like this?!!!!! Im not really complaining though  ;)  I think its madness having the quarter finals a week after the last of the qualifiers, 7 days for one team, its unfair anyway just thought Id get more opinions on this...

magpie seanie

Between October and February is a great time to take a holiday. Evenings are darker and weather usually even shitter than usual. I wouldn't be bothered with going away any other time.

Solution to your current predicament could be to holiday within the island. I know its more expenseive but you could change your plans handier and end up wherever your beloved Royals are playing as and when you need to.

Croí na hÉireann

Wedding on the 19th and stag on the 25th  >:( Getting out of the stag on the Saturday shouldn't be a problem but the wedding is proving more than difficult, anyone any good escape stories short of renting a chopper??? Wedding in July, ffs, have people no consideration??? Match going mate insisted on having his wedding in October, his woman thinks he's nuts (she's right incidently), atta boy though...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

ziggysego

My sister's getting married the day my club plays it's first round of the County Championship. I asked her to change the date, but she said it was too late, blah blah blah and all that. Very inconsiderate of her. Thinking of giving the wedding a miss as a mark of protest! >:(
Testing Accessibility

Zapatista

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 09, 2008, 11:27:54 AM
Wedding on the 19th and stag on the 25th  >:( Getting out of the stag on the Saturday shouldn't be a problem but the wedding is proving more than difficult, anyone any good escape stories short of renting a chopper??? Wedding in July, ffs, have people no consideration??? Match going mate insisted on having his wedding in October, his woman thinks he's nuts (she's right incidently), atta boy though...

Tell the groom that the bride is sleeping with the best man, or bride that groom is sleeping with the maid of honour, that should free you up. The only question -

how far are you willing to go?

Model Hammer

At half-time in the Wexford-Meath game I was so down that I had to force myself to finally face the reality that I take this football lark far too seriously. By the end of the game I still hadn't recovered fully - swear to God.

So I decided that from that day on I would only be 99.99% committed. Mightn't be enough to beat the Dubs ....

Barney

I have at least one dark moment every day, usually within an hour of waking up where I think of Mayo's All Ireland defeats and then I daydream about the day we might win one! It has to be unhealthy

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Zapatista on July 09, 2008, 12:46:33 PM

Tell the groom that the bride is sleeping with the best man, or bride that groom is sleeping with the maid of honour, that should free you up. The only question -

The maid of honour is the woman u bollox  :D The bride is bitching and moaning to her to whole time about it so hoping against hope she calls it off, groom is a tosspot to boot... Strongly tempted to not turn up at the church and peg it back for the end of the meal, would be paying for that for the rest of the year however...

Zapatista

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 09, 2008, 01:16:33 PM
Quote from: Zapatista on July 09, 2008, 12:46:33 PM

The maid of honour is the woman u bollox  :D The bride is bitching and moaning to her to whole time about it so hoping against hope she calls it off, groom is a tosspot to boot... Strongly tempted to not turn up at the church and peg it back for the end of the meal, would be paying for that for the rest of the year however...

OPtion number one it is :D

NAG

Lads

Try being an Antrim Hurling fan or an Antrim fan in general and then think how much the GAA f@*ks your life up.

We arent great at the moment but occasionally we show a performance that give you that little bit of light at the end of the tunnel and then it is well and truly extingusied, usually at the other end of the country with us facing a 5-6 hour drive home.

Definitely option one unless your mates with the best man, or maybe even if you are cause that would make it even funnier.

BallyhaiseMan

sorry Croi
but the woman obviously isnt for you if she expects you to miss Valuable GAA time,
Time for her to sling her hook  ;D
Preferably before the 25th  ;)

The Gs Man

Quote from: ziggysego on July 09, 2008, 12:38:07 PM
My sister's getting married the day my club plays it's first round of the County Championship. I asked her to change the date, but she said it was too late, blah blah blah and all that. Very inconsiderate of her. Thinking of giving the wedding a miss as a mark of protest! >:(

Well Ziggy.  My sister-in-law got married a few years back when we were in the quarter-finals of the Intermediate championship in Antrim.  Myself and her two brothers (we were all playing), a friend (who was our manager) and her uncle (who was videoing the match) all got up before the desert came out during the meal........Her da would have been away too only he was at the top table!!!!

Lucky enough we went on to win the whole thing.
Keep 'er lit

Maximus Marillius

It runied my life....my male relations are more or less good footballers and the ones who play have at least a championship medal....me, I am useless at it and knew by the time I was 16/17 that I was piss poor, but kept trying. Anyway....at every wedding, funeral, party, family get together I get reminded of just how shite I was....its really pisses me off.

tonesfirstandlast

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on July 09, 2008, 02:01:33 PM
It runied my life....my male relations are more or less good footballers and the ones who play have at least a championship medal....me, I am useless at it and knew by the time I was 16/17 that I was piss poor, but kept trying. Anyway....at every wedding, funeral, party, family get together I get reminded of just how shite I was....its really pisses me off.

;D ;D ;D

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: BallyhaiseMan on July 09, 2008, 01:35:42 PM
sorry Croi
but the woman obviously isnt for you if she expects you to miss Valuable GAA time,
Time for her to sling her hook  ;D
Preferably before the 25th  ;)

Ah she enjoys the day out more than most and is an avid watcher of Pat and the lads, it's the fecking weddings and holidays that are the problem... Seanie has the right idea, holiday in winter...