Munster Final - Clare v Tipperary

Started by Silky, July 09, 2008, 10:31:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silky

Heard last night that O'Grady will line out but Tony Griffin will be on the bench. His hamstring hasn't recovered enough for him to be risked starting. There's a good auld buzz about this game now an I'm really looking forward to a great day out. Tipp will be big favorites but I'm sure our lads will fight like demons for every ball and won't make it easy for them.

Up the banner!!!  ;D

Gnevin

If i could cut through all the hype in this thread for a minute  Shocked with such a low key build up to this game ,I'm quite looking forward to it. Think the banner will edge it
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Zulu

Yeah it's a low key build up alright and it isn't a game that has captured the imagination of the neutral even though it is a novel enough pairing. As for who'll win it, I'll go for Tipp with a bit to spare, I've been at both the Clare games and I thought they were poor enough in both (esp. V Limerick). I also don't rate Limerick highly and Waterford had injuries and a poor focus so with that in mind I'll go for Tipp.

The Claw

Id be very wary if I were a Tipp man. I know it doesnt mean that much but a lot of players are coming out and saying how good and innovative training is for the first time in years etc. Clare are still a bit physical team, Tipp have overcome their lack of size with amazing workrate, something that Clare need to match if they are to have a chance. Tipp by 4

didlyi

Quote from: Gnevin on July 09, 2008, 10:46:34 AM
If i could cut through all the hype in this thread for a minute  Shocked with such a low key build up to this game ,I'm quite looking forward to it. Think the banner will edge it

There is quite a bit of hype in Clare but nothing like the 90's in terms of color on the streets etc, probably because of the back door system now. I anticipate a great athmosphere in Limerick and hoping on good game. Clare will earn it but its possible all going well.

groundlie

If the tipp forwards can hit top form then I think that they will have to much for this clare side, but clare are a hardy bunch, point or two either way.

thejuice

looking forward to this one. it'll be a test of brawn against skill. I think Tipp will win it for that alone. Too much up front for Clare to be able to reply to.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Bord na Mona man

I wonder are both sets of cautious fans this time, considering they wore each other out in the late 90s and early 00s?
The rivalry between them was something else in its day. Now I think they are bit more cautious. Neither will risk crowing too loudly as they have learned how quickly the wheel turns.

This time around I can't see past Tipp. They look like they have a capable manager now.
Even if Conor O'Mahony isn't fit to play at centre back, they have an All Star Declan Fanning ready to bring in.
I think Tipp will have the better of midfield, their backs should be able to hold the Clare forwards better than Waterford and Limerick did.
Up front they have the underrated Lar Corbett in great form and the last day against Cork Seamus Callinan scored 3 points from play.
So the assumption that they are one man (Eoin Kelly) show up front are off the mark.

While Clare's forward line has been one of the best of the championship, I think their backs could let them down.
As poor as Waterford were, they still ran up a big total and Clare had no one to hold John Mullane.
They also conceded 1-16 despite beating fairly well.

Tipp should win it, though if I recall correctly, Tipp's win in 2005 and Clare's 2003 were against the form book.

milltown row

on hoilday in the states, is the match being shown on the rte website on sunday?

Gnevin

Quote from: milltown row on July 10, 2008, 10:00:36 PM
on hoilday in the states, is the match being shown on the rte website on sunday?
No that is Island of Ireland only
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: milltown row on July 10, 2008, 10:00:36 PM

So that's where you are...........we were wondering why you were so quiet lately.   :D

Lecale2

I'll go for Tipp by 3 pts. They impressed agianst Cork and can take points from al over the field. What's the handicap betting?

Silky

Griffin starts  :)! I hope he stays the course this time out. Gerry Quinn is back to add a bit of spice to the half back line.

Clare (SHC v Tipp) - P Brennan; P Vaughan, F Lohan, G O'Grady; G Quinn, C Plunkett, P Donnellan; B O'Connell' C Lynch; D McMahon,T Griffin, T Carmody; N Gilligan, M Flaherty, J Clancy.

slow corner back

That is a seriously dangerous clare forward line, much better than when they were winning all irelands in the nineties. Back then they over relied on Jamesie O Connor getting 10-12 points per game. I would suggest that McMahon Griffin and Carmody could all way in with 3 points each while Gilligan and Flaherty are regular point scorers inside and Clancy has a goal threat about him. If Clare are going to win a munster title in the next ten years then tomorrow is the day. I go for Clare by three points.

magpie seanie

Where are HOH and GMB and the others? Clicked into this thread hoping for their in depth previews only to be disappointed.