Cork v Dublin

Started by timmykelleher, July 09, 2008, 09:49:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmykelleher

CORK team to play Dublin in an All-Ireland SHC on Saturday at 5.00pm at Páirc Uí Chaoimh: D Cusack; S O'Neill, D O'Sullivan, B Murphy; E Cadogan, J Gardiner, C McGann; T Kenny, J O'Connor; B O'Connor, N McCarthy, T McCarthy; C Naughton, N Ronan, J Deane.

DUBLIN team to play Cork in an All-Ireland SHC on Saturday at 5.00pm at Páirc Uí Chaoimh: G Maguire; N Corcoran, K Ryan, T Brady; S Hiney, R Fallon, J Boland; J McCaffrey, S Lambert; J Burke, D O'Dwyer, D Qualter; D O'Callaghan, K Flynn, R O'Carroll.

Curran and O'HAilpin out injured.
Gerald gave youtha chance in attack the last day. Paudie O'Sullivan, pa cronin and kevin canty are now dropped.
Back to the tried and trusted for Gerald.

What kind of player is K.Flynn. Will he do a lar corbett on the rock?
Despite his lack of scoring I thought John Kelly caused the wexford backs lots of problems and am surprised to see him dropped.
Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

Gnevin

What manner of hiding will Cork hand out too Dublin?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

timmykelleher

In the league this year Dublin had Cork in all sorts of trouble.

Cork are missing 2 of their half backs.

1/2 the Cork forwards have been dropped.

Dublin have an outside shot if they have the belief.

INDIANA

We have as much chance as a one armed trapeze artist with an itchy arse.
Eoin Cadogan is a terrific hurler and some people in Cork think he should be starting anyway. the full forward line is better than the last day as well. In fact the whole forward division for Cork has balance now. You'd have to ask does Mc Carthy know what he's at though. Deane was even used as a sub the last day and now he starts ? still they'll have far much for us.
For Dublin the full back line is better but we'll struggle in the half forward line and have 2 20year olds against the best midfield pairing in the country. Cork by 10-12.
If we can't beat Wexford , we won't beat Cork. Dublin need to start moving the 07 minor bunch up the pecking order a bit especially the likes of david treacy and niall mc morrow for the forwards.

tayto

Yea, we still have too many passengers inthe team, we need to start giving some of the 06 minors game time next year as we're going nowhere with some of the lads currently being selected, particularly in the forwards. Just need to strike the balance between pateince with these young lads and hanging onto the older crew too long. the HF line selected for Dublin is : Qualter - O'Dwyer - Burke .... not much scoring going to come from that line.

Zulu

Have to agrre with the Dub lads here and go for Cork to win comfortably, some of the Dublin team wouldn't make the Cork panel, game on in Cork, Cork keen to set down a marker and with a big do or die game the following week they'll want to get things right.

The Claw

Does anyone know the spread for the match? If it was over 13/14 would a few bob on the Dubs be any use?

Zulu

Dublin +10 are evens on PP, not sure I'll have a go off that though.

Silky

To tell you the truth I'd back Cork -16 at evens. They will show no Mercy and they'll blow the Dubs away.

The Real Laoislad

Final Score

Cork 1-17
Dublin 0-15
You'll Never Walk Alone.

timmykelleher

Shaky enough performance from Cork by all accounts.*
Only for a boo-boo by the Dublin goalie and a decent save by Donal Og it might have been the shock of the season so far.
Not looking good for next weekend.
Looks like we should have put money on Dublin plus the handicap.

* - Caveat: Source for this was Ger Canning's commentary in a brief highlights package.

INDIANA

great performance by Dublin after the last few weeks. cork were in real trouble last night but we're 2 forwards short and if we can get all the best players into the squad next season then we won't be far away. fallon,brady,dotsie and ross were excellent, only the concession of a soft goal cost us at a critical stage of the game. Cork's midfiled bailed them out again and Cork seem to be in a bit of bother.
Offaly's result last night coupled with Dublin's performance really outline the advantages of an open draw. Its very difficult to explain the extraordinary standard of this kilkenny team to munster people. Kilkenny would  account for everyone  if they were in the Munster championship as well and the reality is the counties in Munster are not that far ahead of the rest of Leinster excluding the cats obviously. Would be worried for Tipp today after seeing Cork last night, i think Clare have aright good chance.

Reillers

Dublin played well, they deserve credit, everyone wrote them off, even the Cork team and they gave it a hell of a lash. Dublin played well and Offaly did very well to win but I think people are overestimating the results saying there not as far behind, and KK are that far ahead, I don't think so, I just honestly think it was just one of those days, I think this year more then any year is when Kilkenny could be beaten.
Anyway, it was a shaky preformance from Cork, but the problems are fixable. We played badly at times but it was more flat then bad, lacking fluency and ideas, kinda like they didn't know, game plan wise, what they were doing out there. It didn't help that our backs were changed up and our forward line as well for that match.

What annoys me is people are saying this Cork team is done. Which is bull, they're looking for the easy way out because what I saw last night was just 15 guys who didn't look at all comfortable playing the game they were playing. 15 guys who had plenty left in them, just not sure where they were going or what game plan they were using. This Cork team is a lot better then what we saw out there against Dublin. A Cork team that could and can beat an untested Galway, if we get the team right, if they click, it's more then doable.

We can't seem to get the team to click, there were some good individual performances from a few but in general, we just couldn't get going against Dublin. To be honest I saw it coming, I thought we wouldn't trash Dublin and we didn't, and not because we were at the end, but because I felt like they'd be a stumbling box, they were always going to make it hard and I knew we had to get rid of one of those games from our system. We had so many more gears that if we needed to we could have pulled out and should have really, just for the fans comfort if not they're own. The problems were more to do with the teams attitude then the game itself. They didn't seem bothered at times. It's easy to blame it on the players, "at the end of the road" but that's bull.

We lost to Tipp because of pure stupidity and unfitness from Corks part. Not because ours weren't up to it, we had 7 points on Tipp, we looked comfortable and we were playing better then them, but at the end of the first half the legs went and we conceded a goal. The same thing happened at the end of the second half, our legs went and we ended up loosing. Take nothing away from Tipp, they deserved to win, but they didn't outclass us, they didn't really do anything amazing. It was, on our part, just plain stupidity from our selectors and manager, who I don't think is up to it to be honest. Unfitness as well is a problem, which isn't too surprising seeing as this is the worst prepared Cork team sine 02, and our forwards not clicking.

I don't know who to play against Galway, I don't know who our best 15 are, I don't even think the management knows. The Cork team isn't over the hill, despite what some people would like to believe, it's stale and it needs an injection of youth, that we have, to give it some inspiration and fire to give it a lift, and a bit of fight. But the question is will they gamble and play the young lads against Galway, and I'm not talking about all kids up front, but Horgan, Naughton, maybe Paudie O Sullivan. Just a mixture of youth and experience and pray to God it works.

If there's one thing that this Cork team hates or loves, it depends what way you look at it, is to be written off, but they'll go into the Galway game, with all guns blazing, as underdogs, just the way they like it and hopefully we'll beat Galway.

timmykelleher

Welcome to the board Reillers. Good first contribution.

I'd agree with a lot of what you said.
There's defintely enough talent available to the Cork management to be playing better than what they are.

imtommygunn

I'm glad to see Cork get Galway rather than Offaly who IMO they'd be too strong for.

I think this will be the make or break of this team and maybe some individuals on it but I think they'll take Galway. It's also a huge test for Galway and is set up for a good tie too.

(There was an awful lot of negativity surrounding Dublin from people on this board. Granted they are a wee bit short of Cork etc but they are making good strides and I don't think were ever going to get the spanking people predicted. Maybe the antrim / laois results made people think like that. Had they not given away that soft goal this gam could have been very very tight)