orange/hatefest having more troubles

Started by An Fear Rua, July 08, 2008, 10:01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fear Rua

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7494526.stm

Larne bunting move 'anti-British'

Orangemen in Larne have staged a protest outside the County Antrim town's council offices.

They claim its decision not to erect red, white and blue bunting ahead of 12 July is "anti-British".

The council said lodge members were free to put it up themselves, but they had to abide by equality laws.

Bobby McKee, Larne's DUP mayor, said: "We in the council are left with no alternative. We don't make the rules, we have to abide by them."

Mr McKee said if the Orangemen wanted "to change the rules, they'd have to go where the power sits to do that."

The Orange Order's grand secretary, Drew Nelson, said: "We just want to be treated equally with other communities and have our festival recognised as a legitimate one, which the council should help with."

Speaking after the protest at Smiley Buildings, a council spokesperson said they had asked the Orangemen to apply for funding which covers "cultural activities," and claimed the bunting could be paid for out of this.

Obviously not being able to shove something down your neigbours throats anymore is flying in the face of "British Culture"
Its Grim up North

Tankie

I assume then that they do not errect flags for Paddy's?
Grand Slam Saturday!

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: Tankie on July 08, 2008, 12:11:18 PM

not in Larne they don't you dumb ass...have you ever been in Larne

Tankie

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on July 08, 2008, 12:27:01 PM

No I aint ever been to Larne!
Grand Slam Saturday!

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Tankie on July 08, 2008, 12:28:05 PM
Quote from: Maximus Marillius on July 08, 2008, 12:27:01 PM

No I aint ever been to Larne!

even if they put up Dublin flags, dont go there, like most of the mid east coast  - its a kip

upthehoops

yep, Carrick, Larne,Ballymena are cold miserable holes. No time or no place for fenians

Square Ball

what about Latharna Og Larne, its a bit out of Larne but close.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Zapatista

Quote from: upthehoops on July 08, 2008, 01:16:01 PM
yep, Carrick, Larne,Ballymena are cold miserable holes. No time or no place for fenians

Are you being dramatic?

An Fear Rua

the time they are a changing, imgaine the council suddenly NOT paying for it. The order will have to have a cake sale to raise the money.
Its Grim up North

Hereiam

It is one place I will never forget driving through. Jesus it is a hole. I actually flet sorry for the small crowd of youths in rangers shirts standing around a lamp post with there blue bags.

Aerlik

To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Yes I Would

For f**k sake , why do they need so many flags to remind them of their Britishness. Talk about insecure!!

Maguire01

Talking of flags, has anyone been through Sandy Row this week? The painters have been out in force too.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: hardstation on July 09, 2008, 12:12:52 AM
The Bonfire near the City hospital entrance on the Donegall road looks dangerous as f**k. It's at the side of a house. Windows about 3 yards from it.

Walk past it every morning, if you lived in the house would you complain!

Also just realised that Days hotel have built a moat around the hotel (end of Sandy row near the bonfire) checkout the back of the hotel  -  :D :D sadly have no pics, maybe someone else could put some on.
Tbc....