Drumcree Is Over!

Started by Zapatista, July 07, 2008, 01:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nifan

rosnarun, what preconditions would you put on the march?
What happens the following year, or the one after?

The best thing is to progress from where we are, not go back into it - that could surely be the spark.

The Gs Man

Quote from: Square Ball on July 07, 2008, 07:33:47 PM
this will never be settled until the residents and the OO reach an agreement, the OO's bannerett (or whatever you call it) has yet to make the return journey from the last time they were stopped from the return leg, so the OO want the return leg to bring it home so to speak. this is one of two of the main contentious parades that remain unsolved, the other one is the Ormeau road one and that one will run and run.

Maybe they should do that........Run like the hammers of f**k down the road when they're not looking.
Keep 'er lit

Zapatista

Quote from: The Gs Man on July 08, 2008, 01:34:16 PM
Quote from: Square Ball on July 07, 2008, 07:33:47 PM
this will never be settled until the residents and the OO reach an agreement, the OO's bannerett (or whatever you call it) has yet to make the return journey from the last time they were stopped from the return leg, so the OO want the return leg to bring it home so to speak. this is one of two of the main contentious parades that remain unsolved, the other one is the Ormeau road one and that one will run and run.

Maybe they should do that........Run like the hammers of f**k down the road when they're not looking.

And mooney back at the gazing residents :D :D :D

Maguire01

What about letting them go down in the middle of the night/very early in the morning, when all the locals are still in bed. Don't let them play any tunes - that would wake everyone up. Is that not a compromise?

rosnarun

Quote from: nifan on July 08, 2008, 01:27:24 PM
rosnarun, what preconditions would you put on the march?
What happens the following year, or the one after?

The best thing is to progress from where we are, not go back into it - that could surely be the spark.

preconditions would be tottally against the spirit of what im on about. untill there is a 'Normallization' of relationships between the communities there is always leeway to slide back into the trouble. we still hear stories about GAA fans being stoned whilst going through unionist areas on the way back from dublin . they probably consider the horn blowing and flagwaving (often tricolours for some reason) as provocation. though of course this becoming less of a problem.

my basic point is to say now that we have establised the principal that if you feck around, your march will be stopped, now  march away down to your church
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

An Fear Rua

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 08, 2008, 01:49:16 PM
What about letting them go down in the middle of the night/very early in the morning, when all the locals are still in bed. Don't let them play any tunes - that would wake everyone up. Is that not a compromise?

You lads need to realise that these people dont want a compromise, they want to dictate as per the days of old. Thats not going to happen anymore. The people of the Garvaghy Road do not want their march, their sectarian trappings, their music etc. These people are not being stopped from getting to or from their religious services, they are however being stopped from trying to rub the local nationalists populations nose in it like they used to do, long may it last, and wide may it spread.
Its Grim up North

ziggysego

Quote from: rosnarun on July 08, 2008, 10:38:28 AM
well it looks like there is no appetite for reconcilliation  on this board.
I really fear these unresolved issues will come back to bite again. esp with the tone ofn many of the posters tone. all it takes is a spark.

I don't think that there's not an appetite for reconcilliation on this board or further afield. There's just a serious mistrust.

Look at 1995. The residents let the Orangemen march down the Garvaghy Road. The only preconditions were:

1) It wasn't a victory for either side and
2) Dialogue between the Portadown Orange Order and Garvaghy Road Residents to sort out an arrangement for 1996.

What happened?

The Orange Order didn't want to meet and denied a compromise took place.

And............ well who could forget this

So ros, don't dare say there isn't an appetite. They've been burnt once and don't want it to happen again.
Testing Accessibility

T Fearon

Being a former resident of the Drumcree area, where my parents still live, I can inform you that the OO march down that hill from the Church each and every Sunday, in the form of a protest march, and are stopped by the Police. Such is their obstinacy. A small crowd congregates also seven nights a week in a little purpose built shelter at the side of the hill, near the church, seven nights a week. You have to begrudgingly admire their commitment.

But as Rufus says, the 1995 to 1998 period was truly dark. Remember coming home from work on Monday at lunchtime in 1996 and never left the house until Thursday, when the march was forced through and I buggered off pronto to Galway. Never have I lived through a tenser period I can tell you.

Tankie

Quote from: T Fearon on July 08, 2008, 02:20:57 PM
Being a former resident of the Drumcree area, where my parents still live, I can inform you that the OO march down that hill from the Church each and every Sunday, in the form of a protest march, and are stopped by the Police. Such is their obstinacy. A small crowd congregates also seven nights a week in a little purpose built shelter at the side of the hill, near the church, seven nights a week. You have to begrudgingly admire their commitment.

But as Rufus says, the 1995 to 1998 period was truly dark. Remember coming home from work on Monday at lunchtime in 1996 and never left the house until Thursday, when the march was forced through and I buggered off pronto to Galway. Never have I lived through a tenser period I can tell you.

Jesus T Fearon i hop Pint of Guiness doesnt read this or he'll be calling you a fake republican for not going out in protest and getting involved in the action  ;)

But in all serious its well and good for me to say in Dublin that there should be reconciliation butwhen you read some of the posts here or was in T Fearon's position i don't think i would be too keen on it either as it may be more trouble than its worth!
Grand Slam Saturday!

T Fearon

The irony is that when they take their collarettes off and revert to normal civilian life, some OO members are among the nicest people you could meet. My folks were actually personal friends with the former District Master (now deceased), and have business dealings with other members as well.

There was also an elderly catholic couple who lived practically next door to the Church (we are a half a mile away thankfully) so they must have gone through hell literally, yet in all the furore neither they nor their home was touched.

No doubt Drumcree did a lot of damage to orangeism and caused a lot of people to leave its ranks. The challenge now is for Orangeism to jettison its rabid anti catholicism though I suppose its its raison d'etre at the end of the day.

No wonder no one can understand life here when they don't live here, it baffles me as well ???

ziggysego

Quote from: T Fearon on July 08, 2008, 02:47:30 PM
The irony is that when they take their collarettes off and revert to normal civilian life, some OO members are among the nicest people you could meet. My folks were actually personal friends with the former District Master (now deceased), and have business dealings with other members as well.

Mob mentality.
Testing Accessibility

heganboy

old Ballyhegan saying

Never underestimate how smart a person is
Never underestimate how stupid people are
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Aerlik

Quote from: ziggysego on July 08, 2008, 02:15:16 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on July 08, 2008, 10:38:28 AM
well it looks like there is no appetite for reconcilliation  on this board.
I really fear these unresolved issues will come back to bite again. esp with the tone ofn many of the posters tone. all it takes is a spark.

I don't think that there's not an appetite for reconcilliation on this board or further afield. There's just a serious mistrust.

Look at 1995. The residents let the Orangemen march down the Garvaghy Road. The only preconditions were:

1) It wasn't a victory for either side and
2) Dialogue between the Portadown Orange Order and Garvaghy Road Residents to sort out an arrangement for 1996.

What happened?

The Orange Order didn't want to meet and denied a compromise took place.

And............ well who could forget this

So ros, don't dare say there isn't an appetite. They've been burnt once and don't want it to happen again.

My mam still spits chips about that.   A quiet, unassuming woman but show her that and she goes livid.  I suppose having an uncle die in the Tan war doesn't help.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

An Fear Rua

Quote from: ziggysego on July 08, 2008, 03:31:00 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on July 08, 2008, 02:47:30 PM

Mob mentality.

Ive always seen them as sheep, obv a more cuddly image.
Its Grim up North

Solomon Kane

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 08, 2008, 01:49:16 PM

That one was actually tried on the Ormeau Rd and Greard Rice hastily organised an all night street party for the residents to coincide. A plague on both their houses.*

*i.e. the shit stirrers in both sides of the community.