Drumcree Is Over!

Started by Zapatista, July 07, 2008, 01:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapatista

I see in all the papers today and on RTE all day yesterday they are reporting the Drumcree OO march passed off peacefully. I'm I wrong or was someone expecting problems? Why would they report this so heavily every year when it is now a local matter being successfully dealt with locally every year. It's almost like they (and the Nation) were waiting for trouble and made a big deal about it as if it was a crisis averted.

Denn Forever

Surely when they can report good news, they should and blow it from the roof tops.

It is good to see that the local orange orders want face to face dialogue and hopefully a compromise can be reached.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

rosnarun

now that the argument has been won by the residents. would it not be a great peaceful gesture to allow the march to take place next  year?. would do a lot for relations across the province
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Zapatista

Quote from: Denn Forever on July 07, 2008, 01:37:44 PM
Surely when they can report good news, they should and blow it from the roof tops.

It is good to see that the local orange orders want face to face dialogue and hopefully a compromise can be reached.

I don't think it is really good news. It should return to normal as the residents wish it to. Should they report the good news that Germany didn't occupy Poland today? Is that good news?

Tankie

Quote from: rosnarun on July 07, 2008, 01:45:37 PM
now that the argument has been won by the residents. would it not be a great peaceful gesture to allow the march to take place next  year?. would do a lot for relations across the province

I would agree and would think that they lads should be allowed to march next year.
Grand Slam Saturday!

maddog

Quote from: Tankie on July 07, 2008, 02:15:26 PM

I would agree and would think that they lads should be allowed to march next year.

Are you having a laugh. Orange marches should not be allowed through nationalist areas end of story. To allow it to happen next year only fans the flames.

An Fear Rua

:o :o :o
Its Grim up North

nifan

I understand the idea of promoting relations, but hey will get used to whatever new route they use eventually. Going back to let them walk will just perpetuate it.

Tankie

So what is the point in the ressidents meeting theses guys every year if the answer is going to be the same?
Grand Slam Saturday!

nifan

There really isnt any. Both sides should move on.
The OO should find an acceptable route and get used to it.

Tankie

Quote from: nifan on July 07, 2008, 03:23:08 PM
There really isnt any. Both sides should move on.
The OO should find an acceptable route and get used to it.

well thats fair enough if peole are going to call it like that but i was under the impression that there would be a parade sometime soon with Gerry have secret meetings and that!
Grand Slam Saturday!

Zapatista

The point of the thread is to discuss why RTE, the Irish times and the likes keep making a big deal about nothing. It is now a non story for most people yet they act as if the country was on the edge of their seat waiting to see all hell break loose.

Tankie

Quote from: Zapatista on July 07, 2008, 03:32:42 PM
The point of the thread is to discuss why RTE, the Irish times and the likes keep making a big deal about nothing. It is now a non story for most people yet they act as if the country was on the edge of their seat waiting to see all hell break loose.

The reason they reported on it so much was beacuse it is the once parade that is in everyones head dues to those few year of crazy trouble. I think it a good thing that they do report this as it is good for the north and show normalisation. There are still alot of people who wouldnt bother going near the north for a weekend or a holiday so its good for tourism too.
Grand Slam Saturday!

ziggysego

I can't remember the year (1997 or 1998 I think) the residents let the marchers down Garvaghy, but it blew back in the faces.
Testing Accessibility

Zapatista

Quote from: Tankie on July 07, 2008, 03:41:16 PM
Quote from: Zapatista on July 07, 2008, 03:32:42 PM

The reason they reported on it so much was beacuse it is the once parade that is in everyones head dues to those few year of crazy trouble. I think it a good thing that they do report this as it is good for the north and show normalisation. There are still alot of people who wouldnt bother going near the north for a weekend or a holiday so its good for tourism too.
It does the opposite. It makes it look abnormal when it is normal and makes people believe there is potential for "crazy trouble" when there is not.