Irish Speaking 6 Counties Players

Started by winghalfun, July 06, 2008, 07:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winghalfun

Hi, guys have not been around for a while but I have just popped in to make an enquiry.
A friend of a friend is  making a documentary web piece on how active Irish language is in the GAA, especially in the occupied six counties. She would like, in particular to talk to any current county players who are fluent in Irish language.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

5 Sams

Dearfhainn go bhfuil neart gaeilge ag cuid de na Frankies as iarthar Bheil Fheirste....nil moran gaeilge i mo chontae fhein.
The Aristocrat Years

D4S

Ex-Antrim player Gearoid Adams son of gerry is fluent I'm sure, he's a primary school teacher too, but may not qulaify as he isn't a current county player?!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

spiritof91and94

Zapatista

Ricey probably learnt to speak Irish so he can chat the Kerry boys on the pitch ;)

the colonel

im sure anyone from Gaoth Dobhair in donegal who is on the donegal squad are irish speakers. donegal captain kevin cassidy is from there
the difference between success and failure is energy

winghalfun

Thanks guys for all you replies so far. Greatly appreciated. Any more.
Yes indeed Hardstation, she would prefer to try and get names of players from the northern six counties rather than the 26.

tyroneboi

Mark Harte and Conal Martin are ex Tyrone county players who are Irish speakers. Mightnt be interested as they are not current county players.

Onion Bag

Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

mhacadoir

Quote from: hardstation on July 07, 2008, 03:30:07 PM
Quote from: hardstation on July 07, 2008, 11:02:16 AM
Quote from: D4S on July 07, 2008, 10:58:55 AM
Ex-Antrim player Gearoid Adams son of gerry is fluent I'm sure
I don't think he is.
No, he isn't.

Quote from: 5 Sams on July 07, 2008, 12:02:08 AM
Dearfhainn go bhfuil neart gaeilge ag cuid de na Frankies as iarthar Bheil Fheirste....nil moran gaeilge i mo chontae fhein.
I don't think any of the footballers speak Irish. Hmm, something in the back of my head makes me think that Paddy Cunningham might. Not 100% sure. About 51%.

Antrim hurlers - Brendan Quinn, Ciaran & Michael Herron, Colm Duffin.
Ex Antrim manager - Mickey Culbert and I've a feeling Brian White can hold a conversation.
Current Antrim Minor manager - Sean Fleming is an Irish teacher.

Not current but Mark Harte & Conall Martin of Tyrone.

I lived with Paddy Cunningham up in Loch An Iuir in 2001, he had been there before that as well so he should have a bit of the gaeilge.