Pomeroy GAA and the IRA

Started by iluvni, July 05, 2008, 12:40:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MW

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 06, 2008, 05:48:06 PM
Quote from: dodgy umpire on July 06, 2008, 05:45:49 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 06, 2008, 01:45:30 PM
Quotewhy do people care so much.

Well you can't go through a week without being offended. 

me personally or people such as the maker of this post?

People like the maker of the thread.

NIfan, I have no set definition of being an Irish republican but I think a republican needs to want an united Ireland and not just under particular circumstances.

Can't you be a republican in the sense of the Republic of Ireland?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: MW on July 06, 2008, 08:47:24 PM

NIfan, I have no set definition of being an Irish republican but I think a republican needs to want an united Ireland and not just under particular circumstances.

How so?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Rossfan

So only Sinn Féiners can be properly described as Republicans while people who are against monarchies/aristocracies etc cant call themselves republicans unless they favour a United Ireland.

Meanwhile nobody from Ulster can call themselves "Ulsterman" unless they are a Protestant Unionist from the 6 North Eastern Counties.

Is it any wonder a lot of folks in the 26 Counties aren't too gone on the idea of a re unified Ireland.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

pintsofguinness

QuoteSo only Sinn Féiners can be properly described as Republicans while people who are against monarchies/aristocracies etc cant call themselves republicans unless they favour a United Ireland.

Who has said this?

MW

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 06, 2008, 08:48:45 PM
Quote from: MW on July 06, 2008, 08:47:24 PM

How so?

Supporting the currently existing republic, and the fact that it is a republic, without it having to be co-terminous with the island?

pintsofguinness

QuoteSupporting the currently existing republic, and the fact that it is a republic, without it having to be co-terminous with the island?
We've established a number of posts back that we're talking about Irish Republicanism as in someone who wants a United Ireland - lets not start making stuff up to allow Tankie to call himself an Irish republican, that would be a bit silly.

Maguire01

So PoG, is it incompatible to be a real Republican and a Pacifist?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Maguire01 on July 06, 2008, 09:40:35 PM
So PoG, is it incompatible to be a real Republican and a Pacifist?
Yes of course an Irish Republican can be a pacifist.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Tankie is no more a Republican then I am a card carrying Paisleyite, this discussion is getting silly, the usual anti-Sinn Fein crap is being spouted by people who should take of the blinkers , this statelet is sitting at a state of peace BECAUSE of SF, accept it and move on!
Tbc....

nifan

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 06, 2008, 10:27:44 PM
this statelet is sitting at a state of peace BECAUSE of SF, accept it and move on!

Do you mean because of them in that if they wanted they could start the trouble tomorrow, or do you believe it was down to them that it all stopped?

stibhan

Quote from: nifan on July 06, 2008, 11:22:39 PM
this statelet is sitting at a state of peace BECAUSE of SF, accept it and move on!

Do you mean because of them in that if they wanted they could start the trouble tomorrow, or do you believe it was down to them that it all stopped?

I think what he means is that they played a major part in the Good Friday Agreement, and that indeed Sinn Fein as an entity are easier to swallow than the Provisional IRA. Giving people jobs as politicians rather than guns is a good way forward in my opinion.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

I am commenting on Tankie and alot of other peoples bias against SF, they were instrumental in carrying the peace process to where it is, and wither you like them or not, they are a well supported legitimate political party!
Too many people on here let their judgements be clouded by their hatred of SF and anything Republican.
Tbc....

dodgy umpire

maguire: id consider an armchair republican to be someone who would say theyre for a united ireland nd enjoy themselves at an easter rising commemeration in dublin but when it comes down to it their not terribly interested in irish reunification and are happy enough with the status quo. tankie could well be as republican as bobby sands, hes just doing a very good job of hiding it.......
The Boys in Red and Black are back

Tankie

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 07, 2008, 12:14:10 AM

I am commenting on Tankie and alot of other peoples bias against SF, they were instrumental in carrying the peace process to where it is, and wither you like them or not, they are a well supported legitimate political party!
Too many people on here let their judgements be clouded by their hatred of SF and anything Republican.

I do not have a SF bia's, i even voted for SF (which i have said before but people chose not to believe it) but i voted for them in the hope that they were moving forward (and beacuse one of their TD's is an old neighbour). at the present time i would not vote for them as i do not agree with their position on Lisbon and as for a party they are not offering solutions which annoys be greatly and makes me wonder why they asked for a NO vote.

In previous posts on this thread i stated what my view of an United Ireland should be, i just dont think bombing our way there is the solution or is forcing a UnitedIreland on the Unionist side!
Grand Slam Saturday!

dodgy umpire

Quote from: Tankie on July 07, 2008, 02:07:52 PM

In previous posts on this thread i stated what my view of an United Ireland should be, i just dont think bombing our way there is the solution or is forcing a UnitedIreland on the Unionist side!

british rule was forced on us
The Boys in Red and Black are back