Leinster final Wexford v Dublin

Started by boro, July 04, 2008, 09:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: heffo on July 18, 2008, 10:42:01 AM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on July 17, 2008, 11:47:57 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on July 17, 2008, 06:21:45 PM
it will be , dublin would like to win on Sunday, but they won't be losiing too much sleep if they don't. I'm not saying thats the correct aproach to adopt or what i would do, but thats the way they are approaching it ,because the other way hasn't worked. the selection bears that out. Its simply Sam or bust, leinster means nothing to this current crew as it could be the end of the road this year if they fail. And it could prove decisive if tight in the last 10. Can't see how losing to wexford is beneficial but there you go.

I have to disagree on that - Dublin have always said they want to win the Provincial tiltle and considering it is the easiest way to the final they will in no way be even contemplating losing.....then consider you have the likes of Ross/Casey/Moran/Fennell/Brogan/Vaughan/Flynn/Andrews etc on the bench or not starting who are desperate for a place and no-one will be taking any chances of missing out and will be trying their utmost to ensure they hold their place for the next match..

If Dublin were going 1005 for the game, there is no way you would give a debut to a rookie in a Leinster final (regardless of he's doing in training), bring back a player who has 60 minutes of a club game in 11 months under his belt, and bring in Bonner from the cold - their eye is obviously on giving themselves more options for either the last round of the qualifiers or thereafter..

O'Shaughnessy is a doubt for Sunday btw - if he doesn't make it - Nolan will go corner back and Moran will go to wing back

Nolan came on in the game against Louth so it is not his debut and anyway why wouldn't you give him his debut if he is flying in training. Griffen is back in because of the style of forwards that Wexford have and the fear that Ross would struggle against them and has been doing well in training. Bonner is coming in to provide the hard working half forward option especially with Moran/Brogan out and Flynn/Andrews not playing well the last time....

heffo

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on July 18, 2008, 12:42:50 PM
Quote from: heffo on July 18, 2008, 10:42:01 AM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on July 17, 2008, 11:47:57 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on July 17, 2008, 06:21:45 PM
it will be , dublin would like to win on Sunday, but they won't be losiing too much sleep if they don't. I'm not saying thats the correct aproach to adopt or what i would do, but thats the way they are approaching it ,because the other way hasn't worked. the selection bears that out. Its simply Sam or bust, leinster means nothing to this current crew as it could be the end of the road this year if they fail. And it could prove decisive if tight in the last 10. Can't see how losing to wexford is beneficial but there you go.

I have to disagree on that - Dublin have always said they want to win the Provincial tiltle and considering it is the easiest way to the final they will in no way be even contemplating losing.....then consider you have the likes of Ross/Casey/Moran/Fennell/Brogan/Vaughan/Flynn/Andrews etc on the bench or not starting who are desperate for a place and no-one will be taking any chances of missing out and will be trying their utmost to ensure they hold their place for the next match..

If Dublin were going 1005 for the game, there is no way you would give a debut to a rookie in a Leinster final (regardless of he's doing in training), bring back a player who has 60 minutes of a club game in 11 months under his belt, and bring in Bonner from the cold - their eye is obviously on giving themselves more options for either the last round of the qualifiers or thereafter..

O'Shaughnessy is a doubt for Sunday btw - if he doesn't make it - Nolan will go corner back and Moran will go to wing back

Nolan came on in the game against Louth so it is not his debut and anyway why wouldn't you give him his debut if he is flying in training. Griffen is back in because of the style of forwards that Wexford have and the fear that Ross would struggle against them and has been doing well in training. Bonner is coming in to provide the hard working half forward option especially with Moran/Brogan out and Flynn/Andrews not playing well the last time....

He came on for five minutes when Louth were a beaten docket - no comparison to starting a Leinster final.

Gnevin

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

DUBSFORSAM1

Heffo - not saying it is the same but he has already made his debut and obviously has been in the mind of the selectors so why not start him...otherwise you are talking about Casey and not rewarding form in training etc which everyone has given out about previously

heffo

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on July 18, 2008, 02:44:42 PM
Heffo - not saying it is the same but he has already made his debut and obviously has been in the mind of the selectors so why not start him...otherwise you are talking about Casey and not rewarding form in training etc which everyone has given out about previously

I think he deserves a start alright and we certainly need more options from the bench, but I think his inclusion shows that winning Leinster isn't Pillar's priority (not getting any excuses in early) - I think he'll be a feature for years to come for Dublin, but having he could do with developing physically a lot more, and when you take McConnell/Casey & Moran out of the defence, you are losing a great degree of physicality - I hope Nolan has a stormer and cements his place though.

Canalman

Not too pushed if we lose on Sunday. The really important thing is to avoid the early qualifiers, which Dublin have already done. Never thought I would think like this, but a Leinster Final win where you don't put your opponents out of the competition is imo not really worth yahooing about.

Dublin's season imo really begins next Monday morning regardless of the result on Sunday.

Have always had a soft spot for Wexford, really nice people.

johnpower

Quote from: Canalman on July 18, 2008, 05:42:22 PM
Not too pushed if we lose on Sunday. The really important thing is to avoid the early qualifiers, which Dublin have already done. Never thought I would think like this, but a Leinster Final win where you don't put your opponents out of the competition is imo not really worth yahooing about.

Dublin's season imo really begins next Monday morning regardless of the result on Sunday.

I agree although I expect the Dubs to win . It might be more beneficial to Pillar to find out any weaknesses on Sunday

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: johnpower on July 18, 2008, 11:28:11 PM
Quote from: Canalman on July 18, 2008, 05:42:22 PM

I agree although I expect the Dubs to win . It might be more beneficial to Pillar to find out any weaknesses on Sunday

What a load of rubbish - you don't need to lose to pick out weaknesses....I expect Dublin to win and will be seriously disappointed if they don't....Call me a traditionalist but even contemplating not winning the provincial championship on the road to teh AI is blasphemy....As Caffrey said "to be the best in the country you need to be the best in your backyard first".....

Jinxy

Quote from: Gnevin on July 18, 2008, 01:46:43 PM

Kung f* wheelo   :o

I think Whelo can count himself lucky the CCCCCC didn't have access to a telly back in those days.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

INDIANA

dsfm, whether you thik its rubbish or not, thats the mood in the camp. Take it or leave it. it simply is't the priority(whether thats the correct approach , remains to be seen), the selection shows that and with shocko out as well, this is the best chance wexford will ever get to win a leinster football championship.

INDIANA

shocko out -moran in still -not sure who's in the corner.

Northside Dub

If shocko is out i reckon Ross might get a reprieve at FB with Griff moving to the corner. And it wouldnt surprise me either, if collie came in for Bonner at 10.
I hope to God Pillar doesnt move Nolan to corner back in place of shocko if he does we could have a repeat of Peadar Andrews v Ollie Murphy. Nolan is a fantastic half back but is nowhere near as good in the FB line, he has too much football for back there & seems to look lost even when he plays there for Crokes!
"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect."

INDIANA

its hard to know how the 6 will line out at the back, but moran is in for shocko. there are no other changes, so nolan,bonner and co all start.

Northside Dub

If there's not going to be anymore changes i reckon the back six will line out like this:
Henry Nolan  Griffin
Moran Cullen Cahill

I heard earlier in the season that Nolan was being groomed as back up for the fb position but has sinec been outstanding in the A v B games in the half back line, thats why he has stepped ahead of Casey in the pecking order. I wouldnt be too confident of him back there, as i stated above he's an outstanding footballer & will go on to play for dublin for years but in the half back line, im a little more worried now than i was when the team was first named :-[
"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect."

glens73

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/rte2/242-01.html

Dublin get revenge for the 2006 AI Semi-Final defeat to Mayo