Linfield/IFA Manager shows his true colours

Started by T Fearon, July 04, 2008, 09:09:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

For the benefit of slow learners I will re iterate the point I'm trying to make (which only Orior seems to grasp). Is it appropriate that  arguably the club  manager with the highest profile in six county soccer, should use this profile to enhance the Orange Order? After all, why was he invited by them to this event yesterday? It couldn't be anything other than the fact that he is manager of Linfield/IFA? Further , when Linfield/IFA are rightly in the dock due to at best ignoring decades of sectarianism and at worst actually practising sectarianism, that such a high profile manager should be flaunting his membership of the most scetarian organisation in Wetern Europe, like this?

nifan

Tony this is exactly the same argument that was used against the likes of canavan appearing in SF lelectioneering.
As long as they are acting as individuals and not claiming that they are representing the organization there is little can be said.
People moaning about canavan where being ridiculous, as you now are.

T O Hare

"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Solomon Kane

Quote from: T Fearon on July 04, 2008, 01:21:19 PM
A couple of points here. When there is a republican demonstration at a GAA ground or a player brings the Sam Maguire cup to a Republican politician on his deathbed, there is hell to pay from the usual suspects who laughingly try to stigmatise us all in the GAA whilst even more laughingly try to claim that local soccer is now whiter than white etc. This goes as far as barefaced denials of facts such as Linfield/IFA making their stadium available to host Days of Orange/Unionist Culture.

I agree that any player/manager/supporter in local soccer is entitled to be a member of any legal organisation, even one as odious as the orange order, or hold whichever political point of view he likes, but it is a dsgrace from him to use his sporting status to raise the profile of a quasi religious/political extremist group such as the Orange Order, which is exactly what Mr Jeffrey has done. This is even more outrageous when the club he manages is allegedly trying to extract itself from decades of sectarianism itself.

Was Joe Cahill a politician? :o

pintsofguinness

Quote from: nifan on July 04, 2008, 02:59:11 PM
Tony this is exactly the same argument that was used against the likes of canavan appearing in SF lelectioneering.
As long as they are acting as individuals and not claiming that they are representing the organization there is little can be said.
People moaning about canavan where being ridiculous, as you now are.

Yeah but that wasn't what was said by your mates on owc when canavan was electioneering. 
It was used as a stick to beat the gaa with.

I assume there's all round condemnation of this on owc?

btw, the people who have to disagree with tony because it's tony that says it - wise up.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

iluvni

Is oul bigot Fearon still using the Huns label to describe the nasty Prods...or has he stopped that since it made him somewhat of a hypocrite when he went on a rant about them'uns and their sectarianism.

nifan

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 04, 2008, 07:50:12 PM
Yeah but that wasn't what was said by your mates on owc when canavan was electioneering. 
It was used as a stick to beat the gaa with.

It is what I said then, and what im saying now.
I dont claim every utternece from everyone on OWC to be gospel.

Those that blamed the GAA for canavans actions with the SF material where not right. The fact they did it doesnt legitimise the point being made here in any way either. The thing is next time there is something similar with the GAA the same people will be up in arms about it there, and will probably point to the sort of comments here as justification, similar to what is being done here. Its the same old vicious circle.

pintsofguinness

QuoteThose that blamed the GAA for canavans actions with the SF material where not right. The fact they did it doesnt legitimise the point being made here in any way either.

No but it just shows up the bigots on owc.

Chrisowc

After reading some of the threads here over the last few days it's no surprise that July is known as 'the mad month'.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

nifan

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 04, 2008, 09:02:27 PM
QuoteThose that blamed the GAA for canavans actions with the SF material where not right. The fact they did it doesnt legitimise the point being made here in any way either.

Does the same thing show the bigots on here?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: nifan on July 05, 2008, 01:05:05 AM

Like who?

Uladh

I always thought Jeffrey seemed like good oul craic.

lynchbhoy

have to agree with tone.
while I dont give a flying fcuk, this guy shot himself in the foot by doing so. Surely the ifa and this football for all
joke is being shown up to be a complete farce and facade.

as for canavan showing up with the shinners, I dont think thats much of a comparison - unless the orangey party are new to
the scene in local elections and politics?
the example about a pitch being opened up  to a camogie team - how is that relevant - was it his to give?
Thats another non example imo.

the comparisons here are laughable. Like them or hate them sf are a political party. the oo are the KKK of ni.
Tony, I would agree that you were well aware of this guy's disposition.

He should know the situation though and not put his club, the ifa and their 'ffa' into the negative spotlight by flaunting
his oo'ness. inapropriate and ba

nifan

The argument, correctly made, about canavan was that he was entitled as an individual to endorse whatefver legal organisation he chose.
Jeffries has that same right.

Like it or not the OO is a legal organisation so his support is perfectly legal.

FFA is to enable anyone to be able to enjoy football - thats anyone regardless of race colour or creed, or membership of the OO.

Main Street

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 05, 2008, 10:03:43 AM
Quote from: nifan on July 05, 2008, 01:05:05 AM

Like who?

Tankie  ;D