Ros v Donegal 19th July

Started by Rossfan, July 02, 2008, 09:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spectator

Quote from: Rossfan on July 14, 2008, 06:00:47 PM
If  we can keep the margin under 6 we'll be doing well. :-[

Hopefully that prediction will prove more accurate than the date in the thread title  ;)

rocco

Quote from: heineken_on_tap on July 14, 2008, 04:48:19 PM
Any word from Ros on how are things going within the camp? Never seen such a low key build up to a game within the county. Will any Rossies make the journey at all?
with MR BANNON doing the ref job, it wont encouage ROSSIE fans to travel.

Rossfan

Quote from: spectator on July 14, 2008, 10:33:17 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 14, 2008, 06:00:47 PM
If  we can keep the margin under 6 we'll be doing well. :-[

Hopefully that prediction will prove more accurate than the date in the thread title  ;)

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Jezuz, lads, the apathy from the Rossies fans is scary, do you really think that youse have no chance?
Anyway I'm heading to Tullamore instead of Ballybofey on Saturday (wifes a Down women!  ;)).
Tbc....

heineken_on_tap

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 17, 2008, 09:46:04 AM
Jezuz, lads, the apathy from the Rossies fans is scary, do you really think that youse have no chance?
Anyway I'm heading to Tullamore instead of Ballybofey on Saturday (wifes a Down women!  ;)).

Ya Gaoth,  often supporters play down their team's chances but I doubt there are too many(if any) Roscommon people who really believe we can win this one. The last few years have been shocking for Ros football, we are an average division 3 team at the moment. The league was an absolute disaster and showed serious limitations on our part. The first half of the Galway game gave us some hope but in the second half galway stepped it up and we were found out again.

However alot of good work is been done at under age football in the county so I think over the coming years we will become alot more competitive again.. Donegal in contrast have been playing alot of division 1 football and IMO could beat any team in the country on the day. In saying that, as you probably know ye are very inconsistent too so I would not put my house on Donegal at any stage this year.

I have no doubt our lads will give it everything but Donegal have more class in key positions and that will tell in the end

J70

Donegal team announced...

Paul Durcan    Na Ceithre Máistrí
Eamon Mc Gee    Gaoth Dobhair
Neil Mc Gee    Gaoth Dobhair
Karl Lacey    Na Ceithre Máistrí
Frank Mc Glynn    Gleann Fhinne
Barry Monaghan    Na Ceithre Máistrí
Kevin Cassidy (Cpt)    Gaoth Dobhair
Neil Gallagher    Gleann tSúilí
Rory Kavanagh    Naomh Adhamhnáin
Kevin Rafferty    Naomh Adhamhnáin
David Walsh    Naomh Bríd
Stephen Griffin    Naomh Naille
Colm Mc Fadden    Naomh Mícheál
Ryan Bradley    Bun Cranaigh
Michael Murphy    Gleann tSúilí

Quite a few changes in the forwards from the last day. Young Stephen Griffin from St. Naul's makes his debut, while Kevin Rafferty and Ryan Bradley also come in. Michael Hegarty, Christy Toye (unfit) and Paddy McDaid  (unfit) drop out. Barry Monaghan in for the injured Barry Dunnion. No place for Devenney.

jaykay

Roscommon Team

Geoffrey Claffey                       Caislean Riabhach
Paddy O Connor                       Ail Finn
David Casey                            Mainister na Buille
Sean McDermott                      Gaeil an Iarthair            Captain
David Keenan                          Naomh Bearraí
Gary Cox                                Naomh Faithleach
Stuart Daly                              Miceal Laithimh
Michael Finneran                       Naomh Dominic
Karol Mannion                          Naomh Bríd
Mark O Carroll                          Naomh Bríd
David O Gara                          Gaeil Roscomain
John Rogers                            Beal na mBuilli
Cathal Cregg                           Gaeil an Iarthair
Senan Kilbride                          Naomh Bríd
Gerard Heneghan                     Caislean Riabhach

Substitutes as follows

Darren Lennon                     Clann na nGael
Adrian Murtagh                     Naomh Faithleach
Anthony McDermott              Cill Bríd
David Hoey                          Naomh Aodain
Eamon Towey                      Naomh Cron
John Whyte                          Na Piarsaigh
Michael Killilea
Seamus O Neill                     Cill Bríd
Brian Higgins                         Ail Fionn
Conor Devaney                     Cill Bríd
Enda Kenny                          Caislean Riabhach
Frankie Dolan                        Naomh Brid
Derek Connellan                     Cill Mór
Donal Shine                           Clann na nGael
Johnny Dunning                     Clann na nGael

As good as we have I suppose, dodgey No. 6 though

J70

I remember being impressed with that Kilbride lad when I saw him before (this year's Galway match?).

Hasn't Gary Cox been in the Ros side for years?

Where's big O'Neill?

I see him in the subs - surely he will start?

ross matt

John  Bannon reffing? The last nail in the coffin.

Donegal not even lining out their strongest side which means the new guys will be busting their asses to nail down a place and the likes of big names like Devennney, Hegarty etc will be hoping to come on and regain their place. No talk of ructions in the camp either as I'm sure McIvor wouldnt stand for it.

We're seeing out a season horribilis. Ryan has no experience or credibility as a senior intercounty manager. The lineout has a hodge podge look to it but in fairness its probably the best available lineout. I just cant see Finneran cutting it in the middle of the field against top class opposition. Cox will be good on the ball at centre back but (as we saw in Pearse stadium) like most forwards he cant tackle. Mark O'Carroll is and out and out midfielder not a wing forward. Mannion played well against Galway but in order for him to do most damage we need him at the edge of the square but obviously cant afford him there with O'Neill out. Glad to see O'Gara up front at least instead of in the backline where Maughan played him. He is a class player. Perhaps Kilbride can continue the same form he showed v Galway (3pts from play) but I just dont see enough ball going in.

On top of it all the match is in Ballybofey with a big Donegal crowd looking to see their side get back on the road..... have to say I'm fearing the worst.

Rossfan

I think any hopes we had for 2008 vanished in Crossmaglen back in March. :-\
Away to Donegal would be a major task even if all was well in our camp and we had a decent year to date.
The team has barely any true defenders on it apart from Casey as all the rest have been half forwards at the earlier stages of their playing careers.
I presume Mark O'C will be at midfield but even then it's difficult to see us winning even 40% there.
With a frail defence it's unlikely we can  score more than them with our 40% of the ball and so for our Senior Panel 2008 will likely end in a 5 or 6 point defeat.
Hopefully none of the members of the Junior team on the subs list will be used robbing them of the chance of an All Ireland medal.
Then we need the Co Board and Executive to make some major strategic decisions regarding the future management of Ros County Teams and the development of the recent run of good and decent minors.
Over to you Messrs McGuire, Maher etc and please no running off to get a short term "name" manager forom any neighbouring Counties.

COME ON ROSS
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

J70

Lads, Donegal's midfield isn't great either. Neil Gallagher will win plenty of clean ball, if it comes his way, but he isn't exactly mobile. Kavanagh is a class act, but half-forward is probably his best position. I'd expect Rafferty to drop back into the middle as well. We could struggle gathering breaking ball however, as we've no one as effective as lads like Roper or Ciaran Bonner who are injured or have left the panel.

Ryano

Quote from: J70 on July 18, 2008, 02:20:01 PM
I remember being impressed with that Kilbride lad when I saw him before (this year's Galway match?).

One of the promising lads coming up through the ranks or into the senior panel this year and next. There are some very talented lads there and Ros will be competative again in the coming years as they mature. It's just a matter of time. Keep an eye too on Cathal Cregg at No. 13. One of the few bright sparks on the current panel. Given the right ball and support he will cause major trouble for any defense.

Hasn't Gary Cox been in the Ros side for years?

He has but he has been in the CHF line up until the Galway game when he was switched to CHB. Has not had a good season at all. Everything he touched he made a hames of so his confidence cannot be good. On top of that when he played his first game at CHB he had to mark none other the one Padraig Joyce! End result he got sent off for two yellows so he cannto be feeling too good about himself at the moment. Needs a good game to get his confidence back. A talented fella no doubt but very much a confidence player too.

Where's big O'Neill?
I see him in the subs - surely he will start?

Mongo sorry Shaq O'Neill deserves to be on the bench. He has not played a good game for Ros in years. Comes in and out of the match and cannot find any consistancy. He got a slap in the puss in a club match a few weeks ago and picked up a injury so this combined with his awful performances finds him on the bench where he belongs. Needs to get the finger out big time and start turning in some good performances.

ross matt

J70 - Give it up. You cant  talk ye'erselves down for this one :)

Ryano - Heard O'Neill carried off at training last night so not sure he can come on at all.

Rossfan - "Then we need the Co Board and Executive to make some major strategic decisions regarding the future management of Ros County Teams and the development of the recent run of good and decent minors.
Over to you Messrs McGuire, Maher etc and please no running off to get a short term "name" manager forom any neighbouring Counties"

- Truest thing ever said. Hopefully your advice will be heeded.

J70

Ross Matt - don't get me wrong, I will be disgusted if we don't win, but us losing a match such as this is not exactly unprecedented. I mentioned earlier the Cavan game from 3 years ago as an example, while we made very hard work of Leitrim last year.

I just don't think midfield is going to be that clearcut in our favour - our lads tend to drift in and out of it a bit, but I suppose midfield possession swings a bit in most games. However, I would expect that if McFadden and Murphy are on form, we'll get enough even if we don't break even there. But you never know with Colm McFadden. He's a big, strong and extremely talented forward, but he can be marked out of it, like most. Luckily though, if he's having an off-day, the likes of Devenney can come in.

I wonder will Ross try dropping someone back in front of our full-forwards? Could work.

I would suggest, if I was them, putting Mannion in on the square as well. Donegal can be very vulnerable under the high ball.

ross matt

Ah yeah J70 ye definitely underachieved with the talent available over the last few seasons but as you know that was usually down to indiscipline/apathy about the back door. Cant see it under the present manager. Plus ye lost narrowly to a top side in this years championship so its obvious that if ye stay focussed ye can make headway in the qualifiers against lesser opposition and then perhaps build up momentum for the final stages in croker. Donegal have always had decent footballers but are now a much bigger, tougher outfit also.