Meath vs Limerick

Started by meathie, July 01, 2008, 10:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

QuoteI expect Limerick to beat Kildare this coming Saturday, that is if they manage to keep their heads down and ignore the hype.  They certainly are the better footballing side of the two teams.

How are they the better footballing side? When did you last see Kildare play? Limerick won 2 games in Division 3, the last time they met competitively Kildare won by 11 points. Limericks attack is very dependent on one player, Ryan scored 3-7 against Meath, 5 points against Cork and 3 against Tipp. In fact Limericks points tally 8, 12 and 12 in three championship games is not very convincing.

I don't believe Kildare are as bad as people seem to think we are, we have better footballers than Limerick, what they lack is confidence and belief that is the only thing that will cause them to lose to what I see as very average Limerick team.
#newbridgeornowhere

INDIANA

disagree entirely, you won't match them in the physical stakes, saw them draw with Dublin in the league last year. Massive physical strength. Kildare only have 2 forwards so i can't see how kildare are that much better off. They still have john galvin,stokes,stephen kelly,seanie buckley etc, kildare face a massive challenge down there and if they think anything else they'll be beaten.
Its not inconceivable that Kildare can't do it provided they don;t make any attempt to try to play a physical game with them. They do have an advantage in speed and they should use it accordingly. but i was at the wicklow game and i'd say some Kildare fans are still in therapy over it.

uimhir a cuig

Quote from: armaghniac on July 23, 2008, 01:52:43 AM
QuoteA lot of them thinking they would come down and beat Limerick easy by 6 or 7 points - something that has not happened to Limeick in over ten years in league or championship.

er, I seem to recall  Limerick 0-11 Armagh 4-10 in 2003, that's an 11 point margin. Perhaps you mean that Limerick have not been beaten in the Gaelic grounds by this margin.
Sorry yes, i forgot to add 'in the Gaelic Grounds'.  But even in that game you have mentioned, we had 60% of the ball but found it hard to break through that blanket Armagh defence, we won midfield, but 3 moments of magic from Stevie McDonnell won them the match.  I travelled to Roscommon again for that match, and got soaked for my troubles. 

uimhir a cuig

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 23, 2008, 01:07:16 PM
QuoteI expect Limerick to beat Kildare this coming Saturday, that is if they manage to keep their heads down and ignore the hype.  They certainly are the better footballing side of the two teams.

How are they the better footballing side? When did you last see Kildare play? Limerick won 2 games in Division 3, the last time they met competitively Kildare won by 11 points. Limericks attack is very dependent on one player, Ryan scored 3-7 against Meath, 5 points against Cork and 3 against Tipp. In fact Limericks points tally 8, 12 and 12 in three championship games is not very convincing.

I don't believe Kildare are as bad as people seem to think we are, we have better footballers than Limerick, what they lack is confidence and belief that is the only thing that will cause them to lose to what I see as very average Limerick team.
I had the pleasure of being in Croke Park on May 18th, when i witnessed Wicklow out-battle and out-play a rather wasteful Kildare side.  However it must be noted that Wicklow are still the third worst team in Leinster, and Cavan who you scrope past last weekend are the second worst team in Ulster.  Can i ask when the last time was you attended a Limerick match?

Limerick are a better footballing team for a couple of reasons. Firstly Limerick play more of a mixed game, they use the hand passing game well and also like to kick direct into the inside line, where as Kildare continue to over-use their handpassing game, its one of the reasons why Kildare have fallen down the pecking order in Leinster.  Well, in my opinion anyway.  Secondly, although neither forward line is particularly incisive, i would think currently, that of Limerick's is better.  And since you're not convinced of Limerick's points tallies so far, lets compare it with that of Kildares: In the three games we have played so far, our forwards have racked up 4-29 (41 pts) - an average of 14 points per game.  In the two games you have played so far, your forwards have scored 1-23 (26 pts) - an average of 13 points per game.  If you're not impressed with ours, then you certainly can't be impressed with yours either, particularly when you compare the opposition we faced with the opposition you did.

John Doyle and Alan Smyth pose the greatest threat to Limerick on Saturday, but i'm confident that Johnny McCarthy can do a good marking job on him, his performances over the last three years have been fantastic and particularly of late.  If Kildare decide to play John Doyle at centre forward then i'm also confident that Stephen Lavin could also limit his influence.  If he's in the corner, on Shane Gallagher, on does get the edge on him, i can see McCarthy being moved on him to curb his influence.  At midfield I field its a pretty level playing field, Kilian Brennan is a great fielder and Dermot Earley is a wiry old campaigner who's much better deployed at midfield than half forward. John Galvin and Jim O'Donovan should at least be able break even here though.  The Limerick half forward line has got better with every game, Seanie Buckley is hugely under-rated, phoenominal work rate in the guy, dual player James Ryan is excellent at keeping the ball and playing it simple, and if Stephen Kelly is fit to start, i expect veteran Anthony Rainbow to be in for a torrid time of it - he's not got the legs to keep up with Kelly.  Watch this duel in particular, its one where i expect Limerick to get a lot of joy - if Kelly is fully fit. He destroyed Cork when he ran at them and had he not come off injured against Meath, it would have been a bigger score than 4-12 on the board. 

Most people seem to think that Limerick have one scoring forward in Ian Ryan, but that is simply not the case, Mike Crowley is more than capable of chipping in with points - 4 against Cork, 2 against Meath, as is Stephen Kelly - 2 against Tipp, 3 against Cork.  I expect Ian Ryan to be man marked, however the more men that he attracts, the more space Ger Collins and Mike Crowley will have. Limerick are simply much stronger up the middle than Kildare, we're strong at full back, centre back, midfield, centre forward and full. The same cannot be said of the Lilywhites.

Lastly, i am not for one minute underestimating Kildare, they will be a serious challenge, and i expect it to be a close game.  They are capable of beating Limerick but not in this form.

Jinxy

Paul Curran being linked to the Meath job according to hoganstand.com (I know). Bizarre stuff if you ask me as he's never had a good word to say about us. Not a snowballs chance in hell it will happen.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hardy

I certainly hope not! An outside manager would be bad enough. A dub would be bad squared. Not to mention a dub with no inter-county management record. Couldn't happen.

the Deel Rover

would love to see Liam Hayes in charge of meath
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

heffo

Quote from: Hardy on July 26, 2008, 03:05:29 PM
I certainly hope not! An outside manager would be bad enough. A dub would be bad squared. Not to mention a dub with no inter-county management record. Couldn't happen.

Plus little or no success at club level..

INDIANA

a tad unfair , did a fine job with very limited resources at Round Towers , beating the then reigning dublin and leinster champions crokes., also got them to a league final. considering they are barely a top8 team at best that wasn't bad. also has thomas davis absolutely flying this year. He's only in year one of that job and i can't see him being an option at inter county level yet.

heffo

Quote from: INDIANA on July 26, 2008, 05:53:19 PM
a tad unfair , did a fine job with very limited resources at Round Towers , beating the then reigning dublin and leinster champions crokes., also got them to a league final. considering they are barely a top8 team at best that wasn't bad. also has thomas davis absolutely flying this year. He's only in year one of that job and i can't see him being an option at inter county level yet.

I assume you had tongue in your cheek about resources & Towers?

During his tenure, Darren Homan, Killian Burns (AI Winner with Kerry in 97), Tom Kelly, Greg Ramsbottom & Derek Byrne (who transferred back) all arrived - he walked a year into the job.

Will hold judgement on Davis until we see how he fares..