Seán Boylan / Kipling / Vodafone GAA Ad

Started by IolarCoisCuain, June 30, 2008, 11:31:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IolarCoisCuain

Can someone with the gift of YouTube - or maybe even someone from Vodafone or the GAA themselves - stick that ad that Seán Boylan does up on YouTube, and maybe link to it here? I think it's marvellous. Really, really well done.

turk

Interesting to see the Vodafone use the poetry of "the Poet of the "Empire"" for this ad

J70

Quote from: turk on July 01, 2008, 01:31:10 PM
Interesting to see the Vodafone use the poetry of "the Poet of the "Empire"" for this ad

A friend of mine was having a bit of a rant in the pub the other night about that, only partly tongue-in-cheek! :D

I would imagine that the vast majority of people are ignoramuses like myself and hadn't a clue about the poem or the fact that Kipling wrote it.

AZOffaly

And the fact that Kipling absolutely hated the Irish. Ironic really.

Jinxy

In fairness, he does make exceedingly good cakes.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Uladh

"If" is a fine piece of literature and has been used constantly by sporting teams over the years. personally, i've always detested it because of the colonial connotations  and the "empire" imagery that goes with it. Kipling wrote some awful shite along with a couple of gems and i never really warmed to him because of his attitude to other races, particularly the irish.

A particularly sour memory for me regarding "If" was when Des Lynam (stout irishman that he is) used it as a voiceover of his closing credits to the 2002 (i think) world cup on the the bbc. nearly booted the tv. good ol blighty

Hardy

Shakespeare hadn't much time for the Irish either. Crap writer.

Uladh

Quote from: Hardy on July 08, 2008, 10:42:24 AM
Shakespeare hadn't much time for the Irish either.

Its in them all

Shakespere is crap. overindulgent shite that some wag declared "culture" for a joke one day. he couldn't have expected the knock on

ludermor

Hardy

Uladh

stephenite

Still can't find it on Youtube ICC, wouldn't mind having a look at it

Uladh

I don't think they've done a great job with it. its a descriptive and growing monologue but they lose the usual effect of the delivery by rushing it and therefore are relying on just the message. Obviously the time pressure of the ad dictated that but if they'd spent a few more quid it'd be much better. they probably have a full version themselves recorded. vodafone site?

An Laoch

I think it's a terrible ad. A growing trend that Gaelic Games are spoken of in advertising as some kind of ethereal essence of our being with a completely over the top tone taken towards its importance. It's so verbose and self aggrandizing that it's bordering on parody.

The Ulster Bank ad: 'Thurles.... 1888.... an idea was born.... and it grew....'  for Christ Sakes get a grip.

rosnarun

they should have def gone with Joyce they could have used this from finnegans wake

The answer, to do all the diddies in one dedal, would sound: from pulling himself on his most flavoured canal the huge chesthouse of his elders (the Popapreta, and some navico, navvies!) he had flickered up and flinnered down into a drug and drunkery addict, growing megalomane of a loose past. This explains the litany of septuncial lettertrumpets honorific, highpitched, erudite, neoclassical, which he so loved as patricianly to manuscribe after his name. It would have diverted, if ever seen, the shuddersome spectacle of this semidemented zany amid the inspissated grime of his glaucous den making believe to read his usylessly unreadable Blue Book of Eccles, édition de ténèbres, (even yet sighs the Most Different, Dr. Poindejenk, authorised bowdler and censor, it can't be repeated!) turning over three sheets at a wind, telling himself delightedly, no espellor mor so, that every splurge on the vellum he blundered over was an aisling vision more gorgeous than the one before t.i.t.s., a roseschelle cottage by the sea for nothing for ever, a ladies tryon hosiery raffle at liberty, a sewerful of guineagold wine with brancomongepadenopie and sickcylinder oysters worth a billion a bite, an entire operahouse
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere