Ulster Final 2008 - Armagh vs Fermanagh

Started by wanderer, June 29, 2008, 11:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erne Gael

McCluskey is playing very well at centre half back, would be difficult to take him out of there. It could unsettle the whole team. The corner backs Goan and Sherry have been playing well this season and deserve their places.

D4S

I believe goan does merit a second chance on McDonnell but he'd need to seriously improve hopefully he will.  As for McBarron I think the jurys still out, if he is just to be used as a big full forward who can break ball then it could work, but as a target man who could potentially catch a high ball and kick a good score I don't think he's that good....but again hope he proves me wrong on sunday
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

sammymaguire

that was a real show-stopper D4S! we need a bit more banter "big lad"  ;)
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

gander

Think Stevie got 7 points in 04, only armagh man to get more than one!  Cant mind who was marking him though.  cant see McCluskey moving from centre Half after playing so well in the drawn game.  Very tough one to call, fermanagh are no longer the easy draw they once where.  Cant see there being a point or 2 in it either way.

D4S

Quote from: sammymaguire on July 25, 2008, 02:13:20 PM

U being sarcastic about other posters comments??? If so that's a bit rich considering your first few posts :D
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

sammymaguire

Quote from: D4S on July 25, 2008, 02:19:32 PM
Quote from: sammymaguire on July 25, 2008, 02:13:20 PM

U being sarcastic about other posters comments??? If so that's a bit rich considering your first few posts :D

quote me big lad, quote me!! by the way, d'ya reckon Down will go any futher than the quarters? I think they have the beating of Laois but that'll be as far as they go
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

D4S

We haven't made it to the final 12 yet never mind makin it further than the quarters.  Think we should have enough to get by laois.  Next Saturday will be a much tougher test altogether...Kerry, Mayo or the losers of Armagh+Fermanagh.  Whoever gets Wexford would be certs I can't see them doing anything after last weeks performance.  Will be tough for Armagh or Fermanagh to go out and play enxt saturday after a defeat this sunday so either of them could also be vulnerable.  If we can make the quarters this year that will be good progress for us, considering we've never got there since their inception.  To contest against the best is where we want to be, if we can beat laois tomorrow evening which I think we will, then who knows how much progress we can make with a favourable draw where we can gain more and more confidence!

Anyway this is the Ulster Final thread so Ill give my prediction for Sunday Fermanagh 1-11 Armagh 1-10!

dodgyrightfoot

Barry Owens last goal scorer @ 11/1 with ladbrokes folks...its like giving money away!!  :D

sammymaguire

we could handle that after last weekend a 1 point scrape through would be as good as 10! thats what this fermanagh team have always done to us though, even when they are on top of games they lack that clinical ruthlessness in front of the posts to put games out of sight. One of the only times I can remember them doing that was V Cork in 2004 when they racked up 0-18 to 0-12
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

corn02

Quote from: dodgyrightfoot on July 25, 2008, 03:54:43 PM
Barry Owens last goal scorer @ 11/1 with ladbrokes folks...its like giving money away!!  :D

I know you should hold onto it.

full back

Quote from: sammymaguire on July 25, 2008, 04:00:47 PM
thats what this fermanagh team have always done to us though, even when they are on top of games they lack that clinical ruthlessness in front of the posts to put games out of sight.

You could be talking about Armagh as well :-\

ExiledGael

Lot of Ernemen coming out of the woodwork here. Lot of ridiculous comments here from men in green and from the opposite side. Where's this Fermanagh nastiness coming from? That's something, to our own detriment, we've never really had. Hopefully it's starting to creep in. Know Peter McGinnity said after the Derry win that one of the things that impressed him the most was the serious levels of cynicism from Fermanagh.
No matter what anyone says no-one in the county expects any sort of an easy game on Sunday. The past has taught us though that you need to have a belief in your own ability to make the best of it and claim what's yours. To often in the past our confidence has been so brittle we have broken down when it really mattered - Mayo in the All-Ireland semi and Down in the Ulster semi of 2003 really spring to mind as games there to be taken.
Hopefully the team can have that quiet assurance (unlike some of the fans) needed to play our best football. Fermanagh need to stop believing this underdog stuff and start believing man for man they can go out and match and beat the best.
O'Rourke will be putting his confidence in them all week, Keenan will be on frees again and I expect Goan and Kelly to have much better games this week.
If they all believe and play to their best, get the luck on the day (and a good ref), then Fermanagh can scrape home by a point or two. Please God.

sammymaguire

Quote from: ExiledGael on July 25, 2008, 04:16:39 PM
Where's this Fermanagh nastiness coming from? That's something, to our own detriment, we've never really had. Hopefully it's starting to creep in. Know Peter McGinnity said after the Derry win that one of the things that impressed him the most was the serious levels of cynicism from Fermanagh.

ExiledGael; I'm with you, where has all the nicey nicey stuff got us?? Its about time that Fermanagh GAA grew some balls and gained that steely determination required to get us over the finish line and I think the stuff being echoed on here is genuinely alot of people finally waking up, taking their chin out of the bowl of cornflakes and smelling the coffee! If McGinnity is relieved to see a callous and cynical side to Fermanagh football then this can only be good in way of results.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

corn02

Some things we can expect to see:

1) Mor staying hiher up the pitch and staying on for 70 minutes.

2) Sean Doherty to kick about a dozen wides from under the Gerry Arthurs.

3) Clarkie to get another goal.

4)Fermanagh supporrt vastly outnumbering Armagh.

5) a two point victory for Armagh.

corn02

Quote from: sammymaguire on July 25, 2008, 04:33:11 PM
Quote from: ExiledGael on July 25, 2008, 04:16:39 PM
Where's this Fermanagh nastiness coming from? That's something, to our own detriment, we've never really had. Hopefully it's starting to creep in. Know Peter McGinnity said after the Derry win that one of the things that impressed him the most was the serious levels of cynicism from Fermanagh.

ExiledGael; Where has all the nicey nicey stuff got us?? Its about time that Fermanagh GAA grew some balls and gained that steely determination required to get us over the finish line and I think the stuff being echoed on here is genuinely alot of people finally waking up, taking their chin out of the bowl of cornflakes and smelling the coffee! If McGinnity is relieved to see a callous and cynical side to Fermanagh football then this can only be good in way of results.

Yes being hard on a message board should guarantee success.