Ulster Final 2008 - Armagh vs Fermanagh

Started by wanderer, June 29, 2008, 11:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

With a stonewall Fermanagh defence, frees could play an important part in this game. So it might make sense to have Oisin or TK on board.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Skiddybadoo

Sadly, I think Fermanagh will try and buy cheap frees, so Armagh must be extremely disciplined. Not sure if we'll get our frees as handy; for this reason this igame may suit Vernon more than the previous two.  If he can take a ball at pace he'll have to be hauled down to be stopped*.  However, Brian Mallon put a big shout in for a starting place last time out.  I would have Tony Kernan* in for Paddy McKeever, with Mallon McConvillle and McKeever as impact subs for the forward line.  Donaghy's and Dufy's pace may be an assest if man marking jobs need to be done on their speedy little forwards.

I don't think our starting 15 is as strong as 2002, but I believe the bench offers greater versitility and ability and the way we are playing is better suited to our footballing abilities (more creative and not reliant on hoofed balls).

bennydorano

Quote from: corn02 on July 06, 2008, 06:28:59 PM
Honestly Real? I would have MOR as one of a few with a cemented starting place.

I have to say in the two games to date in the championship so far MOR has been poor enough and should be guaranteed nothing.  The whole HF line is probably the line most likely to see any change. PMCKeever & Vernon moreso than MOR.  I'd like to see Mallon start instead of McKeever, craft could be more important in this game than brawn.

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteI have to say in the two games to date in the championship so far MOR has been poor enough and should be guaranteed nothing.  The whole HF line is probably the line most likely to see any change. PMCKeever & Vernon moreso than MOR.  I'd like to see Mallon start instead of McKeever, craft could be more important in this game than brawn.

Would agree with that Benny. Martin O'Rourke wasn't great against Cavan or Down but he showed enough during the league and the past few years to be well worth his place. I think we need Brian Mallon in from the start. You could argue over whether that should be for Paddy or Charlie but Charlie is the man for the future so I'd tend to stick by him since he has more improvement in him for future years.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

D4S

Just watched that 'Fantastic Fermanagh' video on youtube it's brilliant, really well done...and Fr. Brian Darcy thrown in for a bit of divine intervention! Who knows it could work for them, good luck next week fermanagh I'd love to see yous win an ulster title, you deserve it for your endeavours over the last 5 years!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

heganboy

QuoteYou could argue over whether that should be for Paddy or Charlie but Charlie is the man for the future so I'd tend to stick by him since he has more improvement in him for future years.

I'm biased but I'd like to see Paddy in there- think he's had a good run last few weeks despite not being on the score board as much as I'd like Definitely ahead of MOR and Vernon in my eyes

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

mackers

Quote from: Skiddybadoo on July 08, 2008, 06:02:52 PM
Sadly, I think Fermanagh will try and buy cheap frees, so Armagh must be extremely disciplined. Not sure if we'll get our frees as handy; for this reason this igame may suit Vernon more than the previous two.  If he can take a ball at pace he'll have to be hauled down to be stopped*.  However, Brian Mallon put a big shout in for a starting place last time out.  I would have Tony Kernan* in for Paddy McKeever, with Mallon McConvillle and McKeever as impact subs for the forward line.  Donaghy's and Dufy's pace may be an assest if man marking jobs need to be done on their speedy little forwards.

I don't think our starting 15 is as strong as 2002, but I believe the bench offers greater versitility and ability and the way we are playing is better suited to our footballing abilities (more creative and not reliant on hoofed balls).
That is one of my big fears for Sunday week, I know that we would be biased but I think that Armagh's physicality counts against them, I mean some of the frees given to Down were a farce. I am waiting for who the ref is with bated breath and if it's John Bannon I may hand my tickets in. It's all pointing to a serious amount of frees in the way that Fermanagh use small players to run at a defence.
Can't agree with some of the comments about MOR, I know at times he doesn't help himself, but if he doesn't get us break ball nobody does. I think his hard work, SK's craft and Vernon's ball carrying ability is the perfect mix. Paddy McKeever and Brian Mallon are excellent options to come off the bench along with McConville and TK. It's the greatest strength in depth in the forward line that I remember.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: mackers on July 08, 2008, 08:52:00 PM
Quote from: Skiddybadoo on July 08, 2008, 06:02:52 PM

That is one of my big fears for Sunday week, I know that we would be biased but I think that Armagh's physicality counts against them, I mean some of the frees given to Down were a farce. I am waiting for who the ref is with bated breath and if it's John Bannon I may hand my tickets in. It's all pointing to a serious amount of frees in the way that Fermanagh use small players to run at a defence.
Can't agree with some of the comments about MOR, I know at times he doesn't help himself, but if he doesn't get us break ball nobody does. I think his hard work, SK's craft and Vernon's ball carrying ability is the perfect mix. Paddy McKeever and Brian Mallon are excellent options to come off the bench along with McConville and TK. It's the greatest strength in depth in the forward line that I remember.

I know they are good but I think we would stand a better chance with 6 forwards instead of 5 :P  I think that management should show faith in the players that have played to date and not change anything unless through injury.  With respect to Fermanagh the 6 forwards that started the last day should be good enough to set up victory.  Given recent results I think it is imperative that Armagh win though as the last thing a new maager wants is to be going into the qualifiers with Kerry, Tyrone, Donegal, Monaghan, Down, Meath, one of either Mayo/Galway or Dublin/Wexford.  While it is accepted that to progress they must beat them anyway I think for Peter McDonnell the confidence brought from winning the Anglo-Celt cannot be understated.  It gives him, and the county board some level of justification for the appointment.

If the likes of Mallon, Oisin and Tony K are there as options off the bench it will mean that the players on the field will have to push thmslevs that bit harder to justify staying on. 

Armagh by 4.

FermPundit

So far so good, the double is still on.

Ulster Ladies Intermediate Champions!!

Fermanagh 1-10 Cavan 1-08.

Replay was tonight in Brewster Park, Enniskillen.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Uladh

Armagh are fucked when this little bollox is tipping them-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/the_championship/7480738.stm

all we need now is for Pete McGrath to tip them and we have no chance

Fishbat

Quote from: Uladh on July 09, 2008, 12:06:48 AM

Armagh are fucked when this little bollox is tipping them-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/the_championship/7480738.stm

all we need now is for Pete McGrath to tip them and we have no chance

Spillanes the one ye's need to watch for - the original blightmeister

Real1995

The ref is a fellow White from Donegal i heard....so no J.Bannon ;D
Nice guys always finish second!

Hank Everlast

Good stuff Real, Well thats half the battle then!!

mackers

Quote from: Real1995 on July 09, 2008, 07:29:27 AM
Don't really remember him reffing a top game, what is he like? A serial whistler like most of them or will he let it flow a bit?
BC1 you're a bit of a pedantic Pat!! :P :P
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: mackers on July 09, 2008, 10:14:32 AM
Quote from: Real1995 on July 09, 2008, 07:29:27 AM
Don't really remember him reffing a top game, what is he like? A serial whistler like most of them or will he let it flow a bit?
BC1 you're a bit of a pedantic Pat!! :P :P

And that is that!!!