European championships to expand

Started by Rav67, June 28, 2008, 05:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rav67

Certainly good news for Ireland!

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/euro2008/2008/0628/euro2008.html

European championships to expand
Saturday, 28 June 2008 16:18

The Republic of Ireland's chances of qualifying for the European Championship finals could be improved after the proposal to increase the number of teams to 24 teams from 2016 was unanimously agreed by senior officials of all 53 UEFA member nations.

The recommendation was made at a meeting of the presidents and general secretaries of UEFA members.

UEFA president Michel Platini said that increasing the size of the European Championship to 20 or 24 teams from 16 finalists would not necessarily diminish the quality of the competition.

UEFA will decide whether to expand the tournament by four or eight teams, or leave it as a 16-team event, at its executive committee meeting in Bordeaux on September 25/26.

Platini reminded reporters that when he won the tournament playing for France in 1984 it was only half the size it is now.

'Remember, I won the Euros when there were only eight teams. It is not certain it was better with eight teams than 16 or that 16 is better than 24 or 32 or 54,' he told a news conference.

'I am not worried about the quality by increasing the number of teams. Countries like England, Denmark, Scotland, Ireland, Belgium, Serbia, Ukraine and Bulgaria all have the ability to participate in a European Championship.

'Would they reduce the quality of the Euros? I believe they have the quality to take part, yes sincerely, there are teams that could be at the Euros and even enhance the quality of the competition.'

The first five finals were staged as four-team events from 1960 until 1976 and were increased to eight teams in 1980.

The first 16-team finals were in 1996, but pressure has come from some countries to increase the size of the finals again.

If the tournament was increased to 24 teams, it would mean nearly half of UEFA's 53 members associations would take part in the finals.

GalwayBayBoy

Don't think it's a good idea really. 16 teams is about perfect. You'll get too much dross at the tournament now. Like ourselves and England. ;D

Rav67

Its a difficult number of teams to work with.  I suppose all the group winners will go through to QFs and then the 2 best runner-ups like in the Heineken Cup probably.

magickingdom

think this tournament is great for the very reason that all the teams that qualify are decent (exception - the hosts!). bringing it up to 20 or 24 could ruin it...