Senan as a pundit

Started by ryaner35, June 27, 2008, 04:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryaner35

Ppl 's thoughts in Championhsip throw in programme?? Senan isnt too bad.....

screenexile

Senan who? Is it Senan Connell? What is it with these Dubs who weren't even good footballers being pundits. Senan Connell rarely played a full game for Dublin, a decent club player at best and Coman Goggins was an awful footballer and pretty much a weak link in the Dubs HB line, did either of them win anything bar a Leinster? May as well get some Kilkenny footballers in to do a job!

To see the lineup he's alongside he must be embarrassed to be thrust along with people of that calibre!

thejuice

Pat Spillane won 8 All-Irelands and is a shite pundit. As the yanks say, go figure
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Hardy

Juice, there's one word too many in your first sentence.

I'd guess the reason you're seeing Dubs turn up as pundits on TV is the same as the reason there are more column inches on Dublin in the papers than on all the other counties combined.

Ratings.

screenexile

It's a fair point juice but surely the fact that he gained 8 All Irelands meant you would presume he knows his stuff about football. In fairness he does he's just a ballbag. Connell achieved very little and wasn't even a starter on the teams that only won a Leinster... it just seems strange to me why they would ask him to be a pundit, he may be good but who knows. Goggins at least has a pity Allstar he got in 2001 but he wasn't a good footballer imo!

Jinxy

Quote from: screenexile on June 27, 2008, 04:48:06 PM
Senan who? Is it Senan Connell? What is it with these Dubs who weren't even good footballers being pundits. Senan Connell rarely played a full game for Dublin, a decent club player at best and Coman Goggins was an awful footballer and pretty much a weak link in the Dubs HB line, did either of them win anything bar a Leinster? May as well get some Kilkenny footballers in to do a job!

To see the lineup he's alongside he must be embarrassed to be thrust along with people of that calibre!

Goggins was an All-Star in 2001. I find both him and Connell quite good as pundits.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

bridgegael

so are you saying if you are shite at football then you know nothing about it?
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

SuperHans

How many ex-inter county players can give match analysis in irish? for that reason alone goggins is worth his salt

AN other

Quote from: thejuice on June 27, 2008, 04:50:14 PM
Pat Spillane won 8 All-Irelands and is a shite pundit. As the yanks say, go figure

He was actually a bit of craic as a pundit, always bound to be controversial. It's presenting he's really shite at, I don't know how he ever got that role or how he's holding onto it, he must be doing it for nothing or something...

johnpower

I think he will be ok .Good to hear a different point of view ,

bigpaul

I have been impressed by TV3's first outings in GAA coverage. I think Sennan Connell has been good, the fact that he can speak coherently, with a good degree of knowledge about the games, gives him a  head start on a good few of the RTE 'pundits'. The point about his playing ability and achievements  doesn't really stand up - if that rule was followed then Eugene Mc Gee, Mickey Harte, Brian Mc Ivor, Paddy Crozier, Tomas O'Flaherta and Paul Caffery to name only a few(as well as just about everyone who posts here) would be in no position to stand in judgement on intercounty football at the highest level!

screenexile

Eufene McGee, Mickey Harte Brian McIver and Caffrey have all won All Irelands as managers so of course their input would be valued. My point would be what is the selection process for selecting pundits when somebody who wasn't that successful as a footballer is considered as a TV pundits? Connell never started on any Dublin team that win east Leinster 's?

Jinxy

Quote from: screenexile on June 29, 2008, 03:14:46 AM
Eufene McGee, Mickey Harte Brian McIver and Caffrey have all won All Irelands as managers so of course their input would be valued. My point would be what is the selection process for selecting pundits when somebody who wasn't that successful as a footballer is considered as a TV pundits? Connell never started on any Dublin team that win east Leinster 's?

Kevin O'Brien wasn't that successful as a footballer. Neither was Declan Browne. They still know their football inside out.

Rav67

RTE generally only have pundits with a couple of all-stars, although I don't think O'Cinneide has any but he's won AI's and has lots of media experience.

Jinxy

That Matt Cooper lad does my head in. He's already developed a classic case of TV3 autocue syndrome. Why do I feel like he is shouting at me too. You have a microphone you tulip. JUST TALK NORMALLY!