is this man irelands oldest club hurler

Started by the Deel Rover, June 27, 2008, 03:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

27 June 2008

Mature talent: Tom, 71, togs out for hurling team

By Claire O'Sullivan
HE might have celebrated his 71st birthday but when the local team were down a man, he didn't dither when asked to tog out.

Kerryman and grand-father Tom Randles played the full 60 minutes of a recent Junior A Duhallow League game against Co Cork side Tullylease and reckons it "didn't take a bit out of him".

The players around him may have ranged from 17 to 35 but he was still "very involved in play", according to onlookers.

A corner-forward, he didn't make the scoreboard, but provided skills that ensured his team-mates got the sliothar over the bar.

"I've always loved hurling and I keep fit. It keeps the arthritis at bay. I'm used to training. I'll train with the team when I can. I also run and walk and I love dancing. I do a bit of ceilĂ­ dancing but, you know, I'd do any kind of dancing at all," he quipped. "I don't drink and I don't smoke and it pays off. A fit body is a fit mind, I like to say".

They say a love of football courses through the Kerry blood, but this Kerryman has always been in thrall to hurling.

"I played hurling in Cork as part of the inter-firm championship. I played for CIE as left corner-forward along with Seanie O'Leary who was full-forward. I won an All Ireland with Capwell station in the inter-depot All Ireland," he said.

Kilgarvan (home to one of Ireland's most famous rural politicians, Jackie Healy-Rae), Tom says, has always been a bastion of hurling in Kerry.

"I always loved a puck around. I don't think that will ever change," he said. "I've togged out with the team once or twice in the past, if a man couldn't get down because of work or something. I always keep my gear in the boot just in case.

"I'll probably do it again, I'm sure." 

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

RadioGAAGAA

i usse an speelchekor

southdown

rosnarun

Padraig Joyce is coming on 40 this year i'd say that puts him well up there
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

the Deel Rover

i'd say christy ring is there or thereabouts i think he played well into his forties , i think billy Fitz from Mayo played against Dublin in the Ai semi in 1985 and he was 42
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: rosnarun on June 27, 2008, 04:37:13 PM
Padraig Joyce is coming on 40 this year i'd say that puts him well up there
Nallen must be nigh on pension age if PJ is hittin 40   :D :D

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Hardy

Not Jimmy - he was gone from the team by '83 for sure, when he would only have been 38. According to Wiki, Ring played his last championship game for Cork in 1962, aged 41, though he was listed a sub in 1963. Jimmy always looked older than his years. And his bellies.

I think John Nallen played for Meath in his forties, having previously played for Mayo and Galway and I think he went on to play for Cavan after that. That could be the Alzheimers, though.

AZOffaly

Mick Mackey must have been a brave age when he hung them up. He played against Ringy a couple of times, and he was on the go a good while.

AZOffaly

Scratch that. He bowed out at only 34 for Limerick, but he was playing for 16 years senior inter county at that stage.

Hardy

Quote from: hardstation on June 27, 2008, 05:11:57 PM
He kept forgetting which county he played for?

That should be the reason - it's much better than the mundane real one, which is that he was a bank official and they used to get sent all over the place and a man can't play for two teams at the same time.

Unless he's a bird.

heffo

Quote from: Hardy on June 27, 2008, 05:08:02 PM
Not Jimmy - he was gone from the team by '83 for sure, when he would only have been 38. According to Wiki, Ring played his last championship game for Cork in 1962, aged 41, though he was listed a sub in 1963. Jimmy always looked older than his years. And his bellies.

I'm pretty sure Jimmy Keaveney  retired (again) after being sent off in 1979 at the age of 34.

Dublin Vice-Chair Danny O'Connor recently togged out in a hurling game and he's in his fifties..

TacadoirArdMhacha

Micky Linden musta been touching 40 when he played his last game for Down.

Didn't realise Joyce was as old as that. Absolutely superb footballer in his day.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

the Deel Rover

Quote from: heffo on June 27, 2008, 05:21:40 PM
Quote from: Hardy on June 27, 2008, 05:08:02 PM

I'm pretty sure Jimmy Keaveney  retired (again) after being sent off in 1979 at the age of 34.

Dublin Vice-Chair Danny O'Connor recently togged out in a hurling game and he's in his fifties..

sure he is only a gasun  heffo
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

the Deel Rover

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on June 27, 2008, 05:23:11 PM
Micky Linden musta been touching 40 when he played his last game for Down.

Didn't realise Joyce was as old as that. Absolutely superb footballer in his day.
[/b]

He's not that was ros taking the piss
Crossmolina Deel Rovers