World Rally 2009 in CAVAN!!!

Started by Denn Forever, June 25, 2008, 01:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

The  World Rally Ireland 2009 will have a stage in Cavan.  It will be the Glangevlin stage that was used in the old circuit of Ireland (when they did a circuit of Itreland).

I wonder what Loeb will make of the  cavan roads?

Get there early as there is no way out once it starts.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

gerry

holidays already booked for that weekend, hope to catch a few stages
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

ziggysego

World Rally Ireland.

Is that the World Rally in Ireland or something like the World Series thing you have in America?
Testing Accessibility

gerry

its global ziggy, heres this year events.

2008 WRC Calendar

Rallye Automobile Monte Carlo
24 - 27/1/08

Uddeholm Swedish Rally
8 - 10/2/08

Corona Rally Mexico
28/2 - 2/3/08

Rally Argentina
27 - 30/3/08

Jordan Rally WRC
24 - 27/4/08

Rally d'Italia Sardegna
16 - 18/5/08

BP Ultimate Acropolis Rally of Greece
29/5 - 1/6/08

Rally of Turkey
13 - 15/6/08

Neste Oil Rally Finland
31/7 - 3/8/08

ADAC Rallye Deutschland
15 - 17/8/08

Repco Rally New Zealand
28 - 31/8/08

Rallye de España
2 - 5/10/08

Rallye de France - Tour de Corse
10 - 12/10/08

Rally Japan
31/10 - 2/11/08

Wales Rally GB
5 - 7/12/08

Norf Tyrone

When's the Irish leg next year, and where else is it going?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

gerry

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on June 25, 2008, 10:07:19 PM
When's the Irish leg next year, and where else is it going?

2009 FIA World Rally Championship

Ireland - 01 February
Norway - 15 February
Cyprus - 15 March
Portugal - 05 April
Argentina - 26 April
Italy - 24 May
Greece - 14 June
Poland - 28 June
Finland - 02 August
Australia - 06 September
Spain - 04 October
GB - 25 October

Norf Tyrone

Sorry....I meant where else bar Cavan.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

gerry

roughly same as last year, actual stage details not release yet as far as i know. i have pasted a newsletter i receive from wrc ireland

Eight Counties to host World Rally Championship in 2009

Rally Ireland today announced the footprint of their World Rally Championship (WRC) event which takes place at the end of January 2009.  Following their success in November 2007, the event has been given the privilege to launch the WRC season, replacing the famous Monte Carlo rally.

While next year's event will again visit a total of eight counties, including Leitrim, Donegal, Sligo, Fermanagh, Tyrone, Roscommon, Cavan and Antrim, organisers have sought to bring the rally to locations that the event has not visited before.

The Rally Ireland organising committee, who have been working since the start of the year, will present the finalised route to the world sport governing body, the FIA,  for approval at the end of June.

Hardy

Can somebody explain the attraction of "rallying"? All I can see to it is

Vrooooooommmmmm!

"Oooh!"

And the same again five minutes later.

turk

Hey hardy,

the rallying is good crack! I went to it last year. granted there are a load of petrol heads and lads in jackets with brands of tyres and engine oil logos on them but it's a good day out.

Denn Forever

Can somebody explain the attraction of "rallying"? All I can see to it is

Vrooooooommmmmm!

"Oooh!"

And the same again five minutes later.

Explain why you like football?  Sounds like above but without the noise.  

If I had to explain, it is something you think that you could do but couldn't.

I suppose it is vicarious living, seeing someone at the limit but all the time you are safe.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Hardy

Sure you're even a monster trucks fan Turk.

I suppose as Denn says, you'd have to understand it to enjoy it. I just don't get the spectator appeal of motor sports. Well, except motorbike racing. I can understand why some people want to watch lunatics trying to kill themselves. I'd say it's the same impulse that brought people to public executions years ago.

But in general, competitive traffic leaves me cold. I understand rallying is all about who covers the course in the fastest time. But how can you know that when you're standing at a bend in the road just watching the cars going by? You don't know who's in front and you don't know the result till you hear it on the radio and you could have stayed at home and heard that.

As for Formula 1, why don't they save petrol and just have a fastest tyre-changer competition? That's the only thing that seems to decide the winner as far as I can make out. I don't ever remember seeing one car passing another anyway.

Tractor-backing is good, though because I know how hard it is to do.

turk

But that's the thing hardy, it shouldn't be fun, but it is. I don't understand it at all but enjoy it.

Lads drive past in cars and it's enjoyable.

gerry

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on June 25, 2008, 10:17:26 PM
Sorry....I meant where else bar Cavan.

Rally Ireland has announced details of the route for next January's World Rally Championship opening round. Details are contained in Rally Guide 1 which is available on www.rallyireland.org. This follows a route inspection and approval by the FIA, the sports governing body, and the leading international teams who will take part. The key new features of the prestigious event will be a glamorous launch of the 2009 World Championship in Belfast on Saturday January 24th. This global live TV event, sponsored by Failte Ireland and DCAL, will feature all the top drivers from Ford, Citroen, Subaru and Suzuki competing with international celebrities at Stormont Castle near Belfast.

Shakedown, where the teams test their cars, will be held near Sligo on Thursday January 29th followed by the official start at Fermanagh Town Hall at 7.30 pm that evening. With a total of 19 special stages and a route covering 1407 km, the event will visit counties Sligo, Leitrim, Roscommon, Cavan, Tyrone, Fermanagh and Donegal. The Service Park will again be based at the 52 acre site of the Institute of Technology, Sligo which the teams will visit twice daily for repairs and service on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The following areas will feature on the event:

• Cavan: A new stage runs twice on Friday that will offer good spectating near the village of Glangevlin.
• Roscommon: A special stage in Arigna coupled with a new passage control in Boyle on Friday. This visit by the cars to the town will be supported by a festival organised by the local community and Roscommon County Council.
• Leitrim: Will again feature the popular stages of Glenboy and Aughnasheelan with the Lough Gill stage starting in the county and most of the Arigna stage also being run in Leitrim.
• Tyrone/Omagh District:  Sloughan Glen and Ballinmallard will run on Saturday and will be run twice.
• Tyrone/Dungannon District: Murley and Fardross run on Friday, for the first time in the dark, providing a unique spectacle for both the drivers and fans
• Fermanagh: Tempo and part of the Ballinmallard stage run on Saturday, in addition to the ceremonial start on Thursday.
• Donegal: On Sunday morning the popular Donegal Bay stage will be run in the opposite direction to the 2007 event with a new street stage in Donegal town starting at lunch time on Sunday February 1. This stage will be broadcast live on TV around the world
• Sligo: Rally HQ, Service Park, Shakedown stage and Official Finish

"We are pleased with our new route which provides a real challenge to the drivers, good spectating options for the fans and spectacular images for TV viewers around the world," explained Clerk of the Course, Gordon Noble.

The January event, which has replaced the traditional Monte Carlo Rally in the 2009 World Rally Championship, is seen as a major endorsement by the sport of Rally Ireland following its debut in the World Championship last November. This event attracted 250,000 spectators, €48 million in economic benefit and was seen in more than 180 countries by 62.8 million TV viewers and was given international acclaim for the level of organisation by the 4000 volunteers involved.

Rally Ireland is run by Motorsport Ireland in conjunction the Association of Northern Ireland Car Clubs (ANICC) with sponsorship from Failte Ireland and the Department of Culture Arts and Leasure (DCAL). In all twelve rounds will feature in the 2009 World Champions which attracts a TV audience of more than 800 million viewers.

youngfella

Seems odd swaping monaco for roscommon and cavan. Why is monaco of the list ? thought that race is the crown jewel ?
Pull hard and early