Rackard Cup 2008

Started by Saffron exile, June 25, 2008, 12:35:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saffron exile

Who will win the Nicky Rackard this year. No outright favourite this year as I see with Roscommon and Armagh gone. What's the story with the Fingal team?

neilthemac

would be great to see Donegal or Tyrone win it

outside of that - Longford

HurlingBlog

Id say Louth - seeing as they won Div 3 in the league

I don't get the whole Fingal (a part of Dublin) and Non-Ards thing. Well maybe Fingal cos of the amount of players in Dublin, but why are Down allowed field a 2nd team... doesnt make sense

Saffron exile

Some close games in the First round apart from Sligo's 14 point defeat of Cavan.

From rte.ie

"In the Ulster derby in Letterkenny, Tyrone pipped their provincial rivals Donegal by 2-12 to 2-11 to start their Nicky Rackard Cup Group 3C campaign on a winning note.

Corner forward Peter O'Connor picked off Tyrone's two goals, with both of them scored early in the first half.

The throw-in had to be delayed by 20 minutes as a crash in Strabane had caused a traffic tail-back which the Red Hands' coach was caught up in.

Although they shot into a 2-01 to 0-02 lead, Tyrone were only 2-08 to 2-07 ahead the break as Donegal bagged goals through Kevin and Niall Campbell.

However, the Tir Chonaill men, who lost the 2006 Rackard Cup final, were still behind by the minimum by the time referee Owen Elliot blew for full-time.

Goals win games and Sligo hit Cavan for three at Markievicz Park as the hosts beat the Breffni men by 3-15 to 1-07 in Group 3D.

Cavan got off to a perfect start with Philip Brady accounting for the visitors' goal, but a quick hat-trick - with Aidan Walsh, Joe Bannerton and Paul Severs each raising a green flag - ensured that Sligo held a 3-10 to 1-05 interval lead.

In a low-scoring second half, Sligo's defence stood firm with half-back Walter Gill giving a strong display while Sligo captain Damien Burke contributed five points.

In Group 3B, South Down opened the competition with a 3-16 to 2-16 win over Leitrim in Newry.

Referee Tommy McIntyre ensured a 30-minute delay to the start of what proved to be a cracking game of hurling at Pairc Esler, after the Antrim official was caught up in traffic.

Leitrim got stuck in early on and led by 2-11 to 1-07 at the interval thanks to goals from Clement Cunniffe and Liam Byrnes, with Eoin McGuinness registering the hosts' first half goal.

However, South Down came into their own in the second half, with Liam Morgan scoring a goal within two minutes of the restart.

Although defender Michael Poniard replied for Leitrim, the Mourne men scored eight points without reply to take a two-point lead and they cemented the win with a second McGuinness goal.

In Group 3A, Fingal almost got their first ever Nicky Rackard Cup campaign off to a historic start, but Louth held enough in resolve to finish as 1-13 to 0-14 winners at Dundalk.

Fingal led by 0-09 to 0-02 after 15 minutes, having relied heavily on free-taker Emmet McCabe, who slotted over seven first half frees, but Louth cut the gap to two points by the interval.

Diarmuid Murphy and goalkeeper Stephen Smith were among those who performed strongly for the hosts, and it was a goal from substitute Ronan Byrne with his first touch, which stole the win for Louth."

Longford and Monaghan had byes and could be possible quarter-finalists, though Longford seem to have major County Board problems with club championship football fixtures on next weekend.
Would say the potential quarter-finalists are Group A: Louth and Fingal, Group B: South Down and Fermanagh, Group C: Tyrone and Donegal/Monaghan, and Group D: Sligo and Warwickshire.

Anyone at any of the games?

youngfella

Aye, ill be at the warwickshire cavan game, getting stuck in somewhere. we've got a couple of handy hurlers now.
Pull hard and early

highking

The South Down (Non-Ards) team stems from the fact that the three main exclusive hurling clubs in Down are on the Ards peninsula (Ballycran, Ballygalget & Portaferry). There are other dual clubs on the mainland, but none of their hurlers never get a look into the main Down team due to travel/standard ect. In the early 2000's, the now defunct All-Ireland Junior hurling competition used to have the non-ards Down county team to represent them, to give the mainland hurlers a chance to wear the county jersey. With the abolishion of the Junior Championship, the mainland players havent got a look in so therefore the Down County Board allowed them into the Rackard Cup this year.

For someone who has played at that standard/division in the past, it must be great for counties like Sligo/Leitrim to be playing different teams from Down, Dublin & Warwickshire - as it gets very minotinous playing the same teams over and over year after year.

HurlingBlog

thanks for the explanation highking

I guess anything that keeps hurling growing in the "weaker" spots is a good thing.

I'd say Fingal might beat Longford this weekend
Leitrim to beat Fermanagh
tyrone to beat monaghan
and cavan to beat warwickshire

nrico2006

Fingal will beat Longford
Fermanagh will beat Leitrim
Tyrone will beat Monaghan
Warwickshire will beat Cavan.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Minder

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 04, 2008, 01:34:40 PM
Fingal will beat Longford
Fermanagh will beat Leitrim
Tyrone will beat Monaghan
Warwickshire will beat Cavan.

Tyrone seem to be going rightly now after getting rid of a few fellas that are more interested in getting p*ssed than representing the great county of Tyrone........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Saffron exile

Would agree with nrico's predictions for the Rackard Cup games this weekend. No mention of them on P241 of Aertel. Tyrone beat a very understrength Donegal team last weekend short of 6 starting players. The Fingal v Longford game will be interesting in what is probably the group of death as louth (Div3 Champs) are also in this section.
Fingal seem to have a fair smattering of ex-Dublin minors and U-21's in their ranks and could be the improving team if they overcome Longford.
Heard that Warwickshire have one or two useful new recruits. Expect that all of the British teams will improve with emigration increasing.

ONeill

I think Monaghan's 1 point win over Donegal sees Tyrone through. Anyone confirm this?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Bacon

South Down beat Fermanagh. Turned around a big score in the secon d half.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Plastic Paddy

Warwickshire lost by 2 points against Sligo. 2great chances for goal in the last minute.Great save by the keeper for a 65 from which we missed a good chance wide by 6 inches with keeper beaten. Always next year.

youngfella

that was amazing save the keeper pull off, The sunday game camera were no were to be seen at all! Cavan will get destoryed in the next round. Donegal will be the team to beat. Silgo have a few handy boys, but they didnt like the phyiscal side of the game.
Pull hard and early

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.