Christy Ring

Started by stevecw, June 24, 2008, 08:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davereilly

(reply to above comment)

excatly, that's the point i'm making. No point in playing Kilkenny if you can't even beat Laois.

Mentalman

Quote from: EddieMerx on August 11, 2008, 03:22:53 PM
Surely Carlows and Westmeaths aim should be to match Laois before they try to take on the Kilkennys of this world, even the stronger teams can't keep within 5 points of the cats. If they are guaranteed games amongst each other the it can only help them improve along with ensuring Laois don't spend their championship getting hammerings from the stronger counties. If Antrim were also allowed enter this round prelim group then surely it can only be good for all 4 counties

I would agree, the immediate aim for ourselves & Carlow (& Down) is to be competitive with the likes of Laois and Antrim on a consistent basis. To be fair I don't think we want to be in the full blown McCarthy until that time. The experience a few years back of beating Dublin and then getting Kilkenny back home to Mullingar was incredible, and a serious boost to the game in the county, however that was quickly dimmed by hammerings in the round robin. That's why I think the invitation to the Leinster championship was a good compromise. Realistically we're not likely to beat the other countiues at this point, but it gives the players a reward for their efforts, and let's them know what's required at the top level. Also then they can drop back to the Christy Ring as AZ says, without having to taking a further hammering in the Liam McCarthy qualifiers, and unbalancing that competition. In that regard I think the new division 2 will be a serious step forward for the aspiring counties in giving them more competitive hurling from here on out.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

stevecw

Agree with the last few posts. Best thing would be to let us & Westmeath too into Leinster next year. Maybe play each other in a prelim round...winner to play Laois or even Dublin, Wex or Offaly. But when we or W'mth as 99% likely lose that game then back to the CR Cup again.
Carlow or Westmeath will improve with the league next season and should be up to maybe staying within a few points of the leinster sides (except Kilk of course!)
The Div 2 next year is Wex, Off, Ant, Laois, Carlow, W'mth, Down & Kerry. So thats a good standard for the likes of us to be playing at and should bring us on a bit. Has to be better than a winter of playing London, Roscommon and teams like that.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: stevecw on August 11, 2008, 07:50:53 PM
Agree with the last few posts. Best thing would be to let us & Westmeath too into Leinster next year. Maybe play each other in a prelim round...winner to play Laois or even Dublin, Wex or Offaly. But when we or W'mth as 99% likely lose that game then back to the CR Cup again.
Carlow or Westmeath will improve with the league next season and should be up to maybe staying within a few points of the leinster sides (except Kilk of course!)
The Div 2 next year is Wex, Off, Ant, Laois, Carlow, W'mth, Down & Kerry. So thats a good standard for the likes of us to be playing at and should bring us on a bit. Has to be better than a winter of playing London, Roscommon and teams like that.

That could actually be a fairly competitive Division,There won't be too many hammerings handed out in any fixture bar maybe the Kerry,Down games
You'll Never Walk Alone.

slow corner back

Not many hammer Kerry in Killarney, although they are bad travellers, and if Down are at themselves they will give anyone in that division their fill of it. Remember Down beat Carlow about four weeks ago.